Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: European Molecular Biology Laboratory
- The future of regenerative therapy in patients with chronic heart failureMagdi Yacoub
Harefield Heart Science Centre, National Heart and Lung Institute, Imperial College London, Harefield, Middlesex, UK
Nat Clin Pract Cardiovasc Med 3:S133-5. 2006....
- Targeted ablation of IKK2 improves skeletal muscle strength, maintains mass, and promotes regenerationFoteini Mourkioti
European Molecular Biology Laboratory EMBL Mouse Biology Unit, Campus A Buzzati Traverso, Monterotondo Scalo, Italy
J Clin Invest 116:2945-54. 2006..Our results establish IKK2/NF-kappaB signaling as an important modulator of muscle homeostasis and suggest a combined role for IKK inhibitors and growth factors in the therapy of muscle diseases...
- Different modes of hypertrophy in skeletal muscle fibersAngelika C Paul
Mouse Biology Program, European Molecular Biology Laboratory, 00016 Monterotondo Scalo, Rome, Italy
J Cell Biol 156:751-60. 2002..Different modes of muscle hypertrophy in domestic and laboratory animals have important implications for building appropriate models of human neuromuscular disease...
- Prometheus's vulture and the stem-cell promiseNadia Rosenthal
Mouse Biology Programme, European Molecular Biology Laboratory Mouse Biology Programme, Rome, Italy
N Engl J Med 349:267-74. 2003
- Taking stock of our models: the function and future of stock centresNadia Rosenthal
Mouse Biology Programme, European Molecular Biology Laboratory, Via Ramarini 32, 00016 Monterotondo, Rome, Italy
Nat Rev Genet 3:711-7. 2002..But they need forward planning, international cooperation and secure funding to keep pace with the explosion in functional genomics that relies so heavily on them...
- Gene therapy for cardiac cachexia?Nadia Rosenthal
Mouse Biology Programme, European Molecular Biology Laboratory EMBL, Monterotondo, Rome, Italy
Int J Cardiol 85:185-91. 2002..The potential therapeutic role of locally expressed IGF-1 is discussed in the context of current strategies for the attenuation of cardiac cachexia...
- Growth factor enhancement of cardiac regenerationNadia Rosenthal
Mouse Biology Unit, EMBL Monterotondo Outstation, Monterotondo Rome 00016, Italy
Cell Transplant 15:S41-5. 2006....
- Youthful prospects for human stem-cell therapy. In another few decades, revised attitudes toward stem cells could lead to disease prevention and life extensionNadia Rosenthal
Mouse Biology Unit, EMBL Monterotondo Outstation, Italy
EMBO Rep 6:S30-4. 2005
- Distinct roles for cell-autonomous Notch signaling in cardiomyocytes of the embryonic and adult heartPaschalis Kratsios
Mouse Biology Unit, European Molecular Biology Laboratory, Campus A Buzzati Traverso, Rome, Italy
Circ Res 106:559-72. 2010....
- A naturally occurring calcineurin variant inhibits FoxO activity and enhances skeletal muscle regenerationEnrique Lara-Pezzi
European Molecular Biology Laboratory EMBL, Mouse Biology Unit, Campus Buzzatti Traverso, Monterotondo Scalo, 00016 Rome, Italy
J Cell Biol 179:1205-18. 2007..This unique mode of action distinguishes the CnAbeta1 isoform as a candidate for interventional strategies in muscle wasting treatment...
- Local IGF-1 isoform protects cardiomyocytes from hypertrophic and oxidative stresses via SirT1 activityManlio Vinciguerra
European Molecular Biology Laboratory Mouse Biology Unit, Campus A Buzzati Traverso, Monterotondo Scalo, Rome 00016, Italy
Aging (Albany NY) 2:43-62. 2010..Thus, mIGF-1 protects cardiomyocytes from oxidative and hypertrophic stresses via SirT1 activity, and may represent a promising cardiac therapeutic...
- Overexpression of mIGF-1 in keratinocytes improves wound healing and accelerates hair follicle formation and cycling in miceEkaterina Semenova
European Molecular Biology Laboratory EMBL Mouse Biology Unit, Campus A Buzzati Traverso, Monterotondo Scalo, Roma, Italy
Am J Pathol 173:1295-310. 2008..Our analysis supports the use of mIGF-1 for skin and hair regeneration and describes a potential cell type-restricted action...
- Signalling pathways in cardiac regenerationMaria Paola Santini
Mouse Biology Unit, EMBL Monterotondo Outstation, Via Ramarini 32, 00016 Monterotondo, Rome, Italy
Novartis Found Symp 274:228-38; discussion 239-43, 272-6. 2006..In both models, novel signalling pathways are employed, suggesting specific mechanisms through which mIGF1 improves regeneration and providing potential targets for clinical intervention...
- mIGF-1/JNK1/SirT1 signaling confers protection against oxidative stress in the heartManlio Vinciguerra
European Molecular Biology Laboratory Mouse Biology Unit, Monterotondo Scalo, Roma, Italy
Aging Cell 11:139-49. 2012..Thus, mIGF-1 protects the heart from oxidative stress via SirT1/JNK1 activity, suggesting new avenues for cardiac therapy during aging and heart failure...
- Revealing new mouse epicardial cell markers through transcriptomicsLars Bochmann
Mouse Biology Unit, European Molecular Biology Laboratory, Monterotondo, Italy
PLoS ONE 5:e11429. 2010..Although some genes involved in epicardial function have been identified, a detailed molecular profile of epicardial gene expression has not been available...
- A CREB-C/EBPbeta cascade induces M2 macrophage-specific gene expression and promotes muscle injury repairDaniela Ruffell
Mouse Biology Unit, European Molecular Biology Laboratory, Via Ramarini 32, 00015 Monterotondo, Italy
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106:17475-80. 2009..CREB-mediated induction of Cebpb expression is therefore required in infiltrating macrophages for upregulation of M2-specific genes and muscle regeneration, providing a direct genetic link between these two processes...
- E-peptides control bioavailability of IGF-1Marianne Smedegaard Hede
European Molecular Biology Laboratory EMBL Mouse Biology Unit, Monterotondo, Rome, Italy
PLoS ONE 7:e51152. 2012..Thus, the E-peptides control IGF-1 bioavailability by preventing systemic circulation, offering a potentially powerful way to tether IGF-1 and other therapeutic proteins to the site of synthesis and/or administration...
- Enhancing repair of the mammalian heartMaria Paola Santini
European Molecular Biology Laboratory, Mouse Biology Unit Monterotondo, Rome, Italy
Circ Res 100:1732-40. 2007..The robust response achieved with the mIGF-1 isoform provides a mechanistic basis for clinically feasible therapeutic strategies for improving the outcome of heart disease...
- The mouse ascending: perspectives for human-disease modelsNadia Rosenthal
Mouse Biology Unit, EMBL Monterotondo Outstation, Via Ramarini 32, 00016, Monterotondo, Rome, Italy
Nat Cell Biol 9:993-9. 2007....
- Regulation of muscle atrophy in aging and diseaseManlio Vinciguerra
Mouse Biology Unit, European Molecular Biology Laboratory, Via Ramarini, 32, 00015 Monterotondo Rome, Italy
Adv Exp Med Biol 694:211-33. 2010....
- IGF-1, inflammation and stem cells: interactions during muscle regenerationFoteini Mourkioti
EMBL Mouse Biology Unit Campus A Buzzati Traverso, Via Ramarini 32, 00016 Monterotondo Scalo RM, Italy
Trends Immunol 26:535-42. 2005..Recent studies on the role of IGF-1 in the promotion of cell recruitment to the injured muscle and the subsequent resolution of the inflammatory response have unveiled new perspectives into local repair mechanisms...
- Human hepatocytes in mice receiving pre-immune injection with human cord blood cellsPaolo Turrini
Pharmacology Department, Istituto di Ricerca di Biologia Molecolare P Angeletti, Merck Sharp and Dohme Research Laboratories, Rome, Italy
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 326:66-73. 2005..The current report, besides providing new evidence of the potential of hCBCD34(+) cells to generate human hepatocyte-like cells, suggests novel strategies for generating immunocompetent mice harboring humanized liver...
- NF-kappaB signaling in skeletal muscle: prospects for intervention in muscle diseasesFoteini Mourkioti
EMBL Mouse Biology Unit, Campus A Buzzati Traverso, 00015, Monterotondo Scalo, Italy
J Mol Med (Berl) 86:747-59. 2008..Understanding the exact role of NF-kappaB in muscle cells will allow better therapeutic manipulations in the setting of human muscle diseases...
- Multiple congenital malformations of Wolf-Hirschhorn syndrome are recapitulated in Fgfrl1 null miceCatarina Catela
European Molecular Biology Laboratory, Mouse Biology Unit, Monterotondo, Italy
Dis Model Mech 2:283-94. 2009..Together, these data support a wider role for Fgfrl1 in development, implicate FGFRL1 insufficiency in WHS, and provide a novel animal model to dissect the complex aetiology of this human disease...
- ROCK2 and its alternatively spliced isoform ROCK2m positively control the maturation of the myogenic programMichele Pelosi
EMBL Mouse Biology Unit, Campus Buzzati Traverso, Via Ramarini 32, 00016 Monterotondo Scalo, Roma, Italy
Mol Cell Biol 27:6163-76. 2007....
- Insulin-like growth factor-1 induces regulatory T cell-mediated suppression of allergic contact dermatitis in miceBjarki Johannesson
Mouse Biology Unit, European Molecular Biology Laboratory EMBL, Monterotondo, 00015, Italy
Dis Model Mech 7:977-85. 2014..Similar therapeutic effects can be achieved with systemic or topical delivery of IGF-1, implicating this growth factor as a promising new therapeutic option for the treatment of ACD. ..
- SirT1 in muscle physiology and disease: lessons from mouse modelsManlio Vinciguerra
Mouse Biology Unit, European Molecular Biology Laboratory, Campus A Buzzati Traverso, Monterotondo Scalo, Rome, Italy
Dis Model Mech 3:298-303. 2010....
- Machinations of the marrowNadia Rosenthal
European Molecular Biology Laboratory, Mouse Biology Programme, Monterotondo, Rome, Italy
J Clin Invest 111:29-30. 2003
- Identification of novel peptide hormones in the human proteome by hidden Markov model screeningOlivier Mirabeau
Mouse Biology Unit, EMBL, 00016 Monterotondo, Italy
Genome Res 17:320-7. 2007..Peptide hormones and their receptors are important diagnostic and therapeutic targets, and our results suggest that spexin and augurin are novel peptide hormones likely to be involved in physiological homeostasis...
- Phenostat: visualization and statistical tool for analysis of phenotyping dataEli Reuveni
Mouse Biology Unit, European Molecular Biology Laboratory EMBL, 00016, Monterotondo, Italy
Mamm Genome 18:677-81. 2007..Phenostat is freely available to academic institutions and nonprofit organizations and can be used from our website at: (http://www.bioinfo.embl.it/phenostat/)...
- Muscle-specific expression of insulin-like growth factor I counters muscle decline in mdx miceElisabeth R Barton
Department of Physiology, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
J Cell Biol 157:137-48. 2002..These results suggest that a combination of promoting muscle regenerative capacity and preventing muscle necrosis could be an effective treatment for the secondary symptoms caused by the primary loss of dystrophin...
- Targeted expression of insulin-like growth factor-I reduces early myofiber necrosis in dystrophic mdx miceThea Shavlakadze
School of Anatomy and Human Biology, University of Western Australia, Crawley, Perth, Western Australia 6009, Australia
Mol Ther 10:829-43. 2004..This mechanism of action can account for the long-term reduced severity of the dystropathology in mdx mice that overexpress mIGF-1 and provides promising opportunities for therapeutic strategies...
- The role of stem cells in skeletal and cardiac muscle repairMiranda D Grounds
Department of Anatomy and Human Biology, The University of Western Australia, Crawley, Western Australia
J Histochem Cytochem 50:589-610. 2002..For heart muscle, experiments showing the participation of bone marrow-derived stem cells and endothelial cells in the repair of damaged cardiac muscle are encouraging...
- The stem cell challengeRobert Lanza
Institute of Regenerative Medicine, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, USA
Sci Am 290:92-9. 2004
- Stem cell-mediated muscle regeneration is enhanced by local isoform of insulin-like growth factor 1Antonio Musaro
Department of Histology and Medical Embryology and Centro Eccellenza Biologia e Medicina Molecolare, University of Rome La Sapienza, 00161 Rome, Italy
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 101:1206-10. 2004..These data implicate mIGF-1 as a powerful enhancer of the regeneration response, mediating the recruitment of bone marrow cells to sites of tissue damage and augmenting local repair mechanisms...
- Muscle-specific expression of IGF-1 blocks angiotensin II-induced skeletal muscle wastingYao Hua Song
Tulane University Health Sciences Center, New Orleans, Louisiana 70112 2699, USA
J Clin Invest 115:451-8. 2005..Because the renin-angiotensin system is activated in many catabolic conditions, our findings have broad implications for understanding mechanisms of skeletal muscle wasting and provide a rationale for new therapeutic approaches...
- Muscle expression of a local Igf-1 isoform protects motor neurons in an ALS mouse modelGabriella Dobrowolny
Department of Histology and Medical Embryology, CE BEMM and Interuniversity Institute of Myology, University of Rome La Sapienza, 14 00161 Rome, Italy
J Cell Biol 168:193-9. 2005..These studies establish skeletal muscle as a primary target for the dominant action of inherited SOD1 mutation and suggest that muscle fibers provide appropriate factors, such as mIgf-1, for neuron survival...
- Reconciling data from transgenic mice that overexpress IGF-I specifically in skeletal muscleThea Shavlakadze
School of Anatomy and Human Biology, The University of Western Australia, Crawley, Perth, Western Australia 6009, Australia
Growth Horm IGF Res 15:4-18. 2005..Full understanding of these complex in vivo issues is essential, not only for skeletal muscle but for many other tissues, in order to effectively extend observations derived from transgenic studies into potential clinical situations...
- Insulin-like growth factor I-mediated skeletal muscle hypertrophy is characterized by increased mTOR-p70S6K signaling without increased Akt phosphorylationYao Hua Song
Department of Medicine, Section of Cardiology, Tulane University School of Medicine, New Orleans, LA 70112 2699, USA
J Investig Med 53:135-42. 2005..Insulin-like growth factor I (IGF-I) is an anabolic hormone that is known to induce skeletal muscle hypertrophy. However, the signaling pathways mediating IGF-I's hypertrophic effect in vivo are unknown...
- Vasopressin-dependent myogenic cell differentiation is mediated by both Ca2+/calmodulin-dependent kinase and calcineurin pathwaysBianca Maria Scicchitano
Department of Histology and Medical Embryology, University of Rome La Sapienza, 00161 Roma, Italy
Mol Biol Cell 16:3632-41. 2005..Although MEF2-NFATc1 complexes appear to regulate the expression of an early muscle-specific gene product (myogenin), the activation of late muscle-specific gene expression (MCK) involves the formation of complexes including GATA2...
- Transgenic overexpression of locally acting insulin-like growth factor-1 inhibits ubiquitin-mediated muscle atrophy in chronic left-ventricular dysfunctionP Christian Schulze
Cardiovascular Division, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Circ Res 97:418-26. 2005....
- Local expression of IGF-1 accelerates muscle regeneration by rapidly modulating inflammatory cytokines and chemokinesLaura Pelosi
Department of Histology and Medical Embryology, University of Rome La Sapienza, Via A Scarpa, 14 Rome 00161, Italy
FASEB J 21:1393-402. 2007..By modulating the inflammatory response and reducing fibrosis, supplemental mIGF-1 creates a qualitatively different environment for sustaining more efficient muscle regeneration and repair...
- Targeted deletion of the MLC1f/3f downstream enhancer results in precocious MLC expression and mesoderm ablationPing Jiang
Cardiovascular Research Center, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, 149 13th Street, Charlestown, MA 02129, USA
Dev Biol 243:281-93. 2002....
- The neuroprotective effects of a locally acting IGF-1 isoformAntonio Musaro
Department of Histology and Medical Embryology, CE BEMM and Interuniversity Institute of Myology, University of Rome La Sapienza, Italy
Exp Gerontol 42:76-80. 2007..In this review, we will discuss the role of IGF-1 isoforms in neuromuscular diseases and the contribution of muscle-produced IGF-1 (mIGF-1) to motor neuron survival and activity...
- A caudorostral wave of RALDH2 conveys anteroposterior information to the cardiac fieldTatiana Hochgreb
Laboratório de Genética e Cardiologia Molecular InCor HC FMUSP 05403 900 São Paulo SP, Brazil
Development 130:5363-74. 2003..Identification of the caudorostral wave of RALDH2 as the endogenous source of RA establishing cardiac AP fates provides a useful model to approach the mechanisms whereby the vertebrate embryo confers axial information on its organs...
- The European dimension for the mouse genome mutagenesis programJohan Auwerx
Mouse Clinical Institute MCI, Illkirch, Strasbourg, France corrected
Nat Genet 36:925-7. 2004..The combined efforts will accelerate our understanding of gene function and of human health and disease...
- Analysis of CRE-mediated recombination driven by myosin light chain 1/3 regulatory elements in embryonic and adult skeletal muscle: a tool to study fiber specificationFoteini Mourkioti
Genesis 46:424-30. 2008..The MLC-Cre transgenic mouse can be used in conjunction with conditional alleles to study both developmental patterning and maintenance of fast fiber-type phenotypes...
- Derive and conquer: sourcing and differentiating stem cells for therapeutic applicationsIrina Klimanskaya
Advanced Cell Technology, 381 Plantation Street, Worcester, Massachusetts 01605, USA
Nat Rev Drug Discov 7:131-42. 2008..Here, we address some of the problems associated with the sourcing of human ESCs and discuss the current status of stem-cell differentiation technology...
- Interleukin-10 from transplanted bone marrow mononuclear cells contributes to cardiac protection after myocardial infarctionJana S Burchfield
Department of Molecular Cardiology, Internal Medicine III, University of Frankfurt, Theodor Stern Kai 7, 60590 Frankfurt, Germany
Circ Res 103:203-11. 2008..These results suggest that BM-MNCs mediate cardiac protection after myocardial infarction and this is, at least in part, dependent on IL-10...