Salomone Di Saverio
- Different possible surgical managements of caustic ingestion: diagnostic laparoscopy for Zargar's grade 3a lesions and a new technique of "Duodenal Damage Control" with "4-tubes ostomy" and duodenal wash-out as an option for extensive 3b lesions in unstabSalomone Di Saverio
Trauma Surgery Unit, Maggiore Hospital Trauma Center, Maggiore Hospital CA Pizzardi, L go Nigrisoli 2, Bologna Local Health District, Bologna, Italy
Updates Surg 67:313-20. 2015....
- A Challenging Misleading Diagnosis in a Patient with Suspicion of Gastric Banding Slippage and Strangulation: Diagnosis and Laparoscopic TreatmentSalomone Di Saverio
Maggiore Hospital Regional Emergency Surgery and Trauma Center Bologna Local Health District, Bologna, Italy
Obes Surg 25:1758-62. 2015..The strangulating band was cut, and the strangulated bowel was released. Gradual reversion of bowel ischemia was observed, and the gastric banding was removed according to the patient's preoperative request...
- A proposed algorithm for multimodal liver trauma management from a surgical trauma audit in a western European trauma centerS Di Saverio
Trauma Surgery Unit, Department of Emergency, Department of Surgery, Maggiore Hospital, Bologna Local Health District, Bologna, Italy
Minerva Anestesiol 80:1205-16. 2014....
- Complete small-bowel obstruction from a migrated intra-gastric balloon: emergency laparoscopy for retrieval via enterotomy and intra-corporeal repairSalomone Di Saverio
General Surgery and Emergency Surgery Unit, Maggiore Hospital Regional Emergency Surgery and Trauma Center, Bologna Local Health District, Bologna, Italy
Obes Surg 24:1830-2. 2014..Laparoscopic enterorrhaphy was performed with double-layer intra-corporeal suture. The postoperative course was uneventful...
- The NOTA study: non-operative treatment for acute appendicitis: prospective study on the efficacy and safety of antibiotic treatment (amoxicillin and clavulanic acid) in patients with right sided lower abdominal painGregorio Tugnoli
Department of Emergency, Emergency Surgery and Trauma Surgery Unit, Trauma Center, Maggiore Hospital Bologna Local Health District, Bologna, Italy
BMJ Open 1:e000006. 2011..The protocol was approved on November 2009 by Maggiore Hospital Ethical Review Board (ID CE09079). Trial Registration ClinicalTrials.gov identifier: NCT01096927...
- Changes in the outcomes of severe trauma patients from 15-year experience in a Western European trauma ICU of Emilia Romagna region (1996-2010). A population cross-sectional survey studySalomone Di Saverio
Trauma Surgery Unit, Department of Emergency, Maggiore Hospital Trauma Center, AUSL Bologna Local Health District, Bologna, Italy
Langenbecks Arch Surg 399:109-26. 2014..In addition recent Government policy in safety regulations for road traffic accident (RTA) prevention, such compulsory helmet use (2000) and seatbelt restraint (2003) were issued with aim of decreasing mortality rate for trauma...
- Trauma-induced "Macklin effect" with pneumothorax and large pneumomediastinum, disguised by allergySalomone Di Saverio
Departments of Emergency and Surgery, Emergency Surgery and Trauma Surgery Unit, Trauma Center, Maggiore Hospital Bologna Local Health District, Bologna, Italy
Front Med 7:386-8. 2013..In this case the patient did not report in his history a recent blunt thoracic trauma and the initial suspicion of an allergic reaction has prevented physicians to immediately achieve the correct diagnosis. ..
- World society of emergency surgery study group initiative on Timing of Acute Care Surgery classification (TACS)Yoram Kluger
Department of Surgery, Rambam Health Care Center, Haifa, Israel
World J Emerg Surg 8:17. 2013..Standardizing timing of interventions in surgical emergencies will promote clinical investigation as well as a commitment by administrative authorities to proper operating theater provision for acute care surgery...
- Peritoneal adhesion index (PAI): proposal of a score for the "ignored iceberg" of medicine and surgeryFederico Coccolini
General and Emergency Surgery Department, Papa Giovanni XXIII hospital, Piazza OMS Organizzazione Mondiale della Sanità 1, 24128, Bergamo, Italy
World J Emerg Surg 8:6. 2013....
- Severe adhesive small bowel obstructionSalomone Di Saverio
Emergency Surgery Unit, Department of General and Transplant Surgery, S Orsola Malpighi University Hospital, Bologna, Italy
Front Med 6:436-9. 2012..Research interest and clinical evidence are increasing in adhesions prevention. Hyaluronic acid-carboxycellulose membrane and icodextrin may reduce incidence of adhesions...
- Predictive factors of morbidity and mortality in grade IV and V liver trauma undergoing perihepatic packing: single institution 14 years experience at European trauma centreSalomone Di Saverio
Department of Emergency, Emergency Surgery and Trauma Surgery Unit, Maggiore Hospital, Bologna Local Health District, Bologna, Italy
Injury 43:1347-54. 2012..Major liver trauma in polytraumatic patients accounts for significant morbidity and mortality. We aimed to assess prognostic factors for morbidity and mortality in patients with severe liver trauma undergoing perihepatic packing...
- Guidelenines in the management of obstructing cancer of the left colon: consensus conference of the world society of emergency surgery (WSES) and peritoneum and surgery (PnS) societyLuca Ansaloni
1st Unit of General Surgery, Ospedali Riuniti di Bergamo, Italy
World J Emerg Surg 5:29. 2010..abstract:..
- Water-soluble contrast medium (gastrografin) value in adhesive small intestine obstruction (ASIO): a prospective, randomized, controlled, clinical trialSalomone Di Saverio
Emergency Surgery Unit, Department of Surgery, S Orsola Malpighi University Hospital, University of Bologna, Via Massarenti 9, Bologna, Italy
World J Surg 32:2293-304. 2008..The diagnostic and therapeutic role of water-soluble contrast medium (Gastrografin) in ASIO is still debated. This study was designed to determine the therapeutic role of Gastrografin in patients with ASIO...
- 259 Patients with DCIS of the breast applying USC/Van Nuys prognostic index: a retrospective review with long term follow upSalomone Di Saverio
Emergency and General Surgery, Department of Surgery, Breast Unit, S Orsola Malpighi University Hospital, University of Bologna, Bologna, Italy
Breast Cancer Res Treat 109:405-16. 2008..This score combines three independent predictors of Local Recurrence. The VNPI has recently been updated with the addition of age as a fourth parameter into the scoring system (University of Southern California/ VNPI)...
- A retrospective review with long term follow up of 11,400 cases of pure mucinous breast carcinomaSalomone Di Saverio
Department of Surgery, Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center, Miller School of Medicine, University of Miami, Miami, FL 33136, USA
Breast Cancer Res Treat 111:541-7. 2008..This study presents a large PMBC series with 20 years follow up as compared to IDC. The relative significance of a variety of common prognostic factors is calculated for this uncommon histology...
- Management and outcome of 308 cases of liver trauma in Bologna Trauma Center in 10 yearsNicola Clemente
Trauma Surgery Unit, Trauma Center Head Dr G Tugnoli, Department of Emergency, Maggiore Hospital, Bologna, Italy
Ann Ital Chir 82:351-9. 2011..Management of Liver Trauma may vary widely from NOM +/- angioembolization to Damage Control Surgery. Multidisciplinary management is essential for achieving better outcomes...
- Prognosis and treatment of pancreaticoduodenal traumatic injuries: which factors are predictors of outcome?Nicola Antonacci
Department of Emergency, Emergency Surgery and Trauma Surgery Unit, Maggiore Hospital, Bologna Local Health District, Largo Nigrisoli 2, 40100 Bologna, Italy
J Hepatobiliary Pancreat Sci 18:195-201. 2011..Abdominal trauma rarely causes injuries involving the duodenum and pancreas. Associated injuries occur in 46% of all pancreatic injuries. The morbidity and mortality of pancreaticoduodenal injuries remain high...
- Refinement in the technique of perihepatic packing: a safe and effective surgical hemostasis and multidisciplinary approach can improve the outcome in severe liver traumaFranco Baldoni
Emergency and Trauma Surgery Unit, Maggiore Hospital Trauma Center, Bologna, Italy
Am J Surg 201:e5-e14. 2011..since 2005, we refined the technique of perihepatic packing including complete mobilization of the right lobe and packing around the posterior paracaval surface, lateral right side, and anterior and posteroinferior surfaces...
- [Penetrating abdominal trauma: 20 years experience in a Western European Trauma Center]Marco Casali
Department of Emergency, Maggiore Hospital, AUSL Bologna, Bologna, Italy
Ann Ital Chir 79:399-407. 2008..Nonoperative management (NOM) and laparoscopy are currently used in selected patients, reducing the rate of unnecessary laparotomy...
- Complicated intra-abdominal infections in Europe: a comprehensive review of the CIAO studyMassimo Sartelli
Department of Surgery, Macerata Hospital, Macerata, Italy
World J Emerg Surg 7:36. 2012....
- Skin angiosarcoma arising in an irradiated breast: case-report and literature reviewFausto Catena
St Orsola Malpighi University Hospital, Via Massarenti, Bologna, Italy
Dermatol Surg 32:447-55. 2006..Angiosarcoma (AS) is a rare, invasive malignancy originating from endothelial cells caused by many different clinical situations. AS following radiotherapy for breast cancer after conservative surgery is a rare but well-known association...
- The NOTA Study (Non Operative Treatment for Acute Appendicitis): prospective study on the efficacy and safety of antibiotics (amoxicillin and clavulanic acid) for treating patients with right lower quadrant abdominal pain and long-term follow-up of conserSalomone Di Saverio
Trauma Surgery Unit, Maggiore Hospital Regional Trauma Center, Bologna Local Health District, AUSL, Bologna, Italy I Unit, General and Emergency and Trauma Surgery, Ospedali Riuniti, Bergamo, Italy Department of Surgery, Hospital of Macerata, Macerata, Italy and Emergency and Trauma Surgery Department, Maggiore Hospital of Parma, Parma, Italy
Ann Surg 260:109-17. 2014..To assess the safety and efficacy of antibiotics treatment for suspected acute uncomplicated appendicitis and to monitor the long term follow-up of non-operated patients...
- [The Elhers-Danlos syndrome: an insidious pathology. Presentation of a familiary group]Andrea Giordani
U O C Chirurgia d Urgenza e del Trauma, Ospedale Maggiore, Bologna, Italy
Ann Ital Chir 81:31-5. 2010..Elhers-Danlos Syndrome (EDS) is an hereditary disease of the connective tissue, which may have clinical appearances varying in its severity from subclinical asymptomatic forms up to dramatic uncontrollable haemorrhage...
- 2013 WSES guidelines for management of intra-abdominal infectionsMassimo Sartelli
Department of Surgery, Macerata Hospital, Macerata, Italy
World J Emerg Surg 8:3. 2013..The 2013 update of the World Society of Emergency Surgery (WSES) guidelines for the management of intra-abdominal infections contains evidence-based recommendations for management of patients with intra-abdominal infections...
- P.O.P.A. study: prevention of postoperative abdominal adhesions by icodextrin 4% solution after laparotomy for adhesive small bowel obstruction. A prospective randomized controlled trialFausto Catena
Department of General, Emergency and Transplant Surgery, St Orsola Malpighi University Hospital, Via Massarenti 9, 40138, Bologna, Italy
J Gastrointest Surg 16:382-8. 2012..The present clinical study aimed to evaluate the safety and effectiveness of icodextrin 4% in decreasing the incidence, extent, and severity of adhesions in patients after abdominal surgery for ASBO...
- The HAC Trial (Harmonic for Acute Cholecystitis) Study. Randomized, double-blind, controlled trial of Harmonic(H) versus Monopolar Diathermy (M) for laparoscopic cholecystectomy (LC) for acute cholecystitis (AC) in adultsFausto Catena
Orsola Malpighi University Hospital, Bologna, Italy
Trials 10:34. 2009..9%).However there are not prospective randomized controlled trials showing the advantages of H compared to MD (the commonly used electrical scalpel) in LC...
- Dyspnea and large bowel obstruction: a misleading Chilaiditi syndromeNicola Antonacci
Emergency and Trauma Surgery Unit, Maggiore Hospital, Bologna Local Health District, L go Nigrisoli 240100, Bologna, Italy
Am J Surg 202:e45-7. 2011....
- The Bolognese surgeon Giuseppe Ruggi: how and why the aseptic surgery was introduced in Bologna in the middle half of the XIX centurySergio Sabbatani
Department of Infectious Diseases, St Orsola Malpighi University Hospital, Bologna, Italy
J Surg Res 192:555-63. 2014..In 1865, Lister applied his first antiseptic dressing on the surface of an exposed fracture. These experimental attempts lead to an effective reduction of wound infections respect to the dressing with strings used previously...
- Packing for damage control of nontraumatic intra-abdominal massive hemorrhagesFilippo Filicori
Acute Care and Trauma Surgery Unit, Maggiore Hospital Trauma Center, L go Nigrisoli 2, 40133 Bologna, Italy
World J Surg 34:2064-8. 2010....
- A prospective, multi centre, randomized clinical study to compare the efficacy and safety of Ertapenem 3 days versus Ampicillin-Sulbactam 3 days in the treatment of localized community acquired intra-abdominal infection. (T.E.A. Study: Three days ErtapeneFederico Coccolini
Unit of General, Emergency and Transplant Surgery, St, Orsola Malpighi University Hospital, Bologna, Italy
BMC Gastroenterol 11:42. 2011..Ampicillin-Sulbactam is a commonly used "first line" antibiotic for intra-abdominal infections. Ertapenem and Ampicillin-sulbactam are recommended as primary treatment agents for localized peritonitis by both the SIS and IDSA guidelines...
- Small bowel tumours in emergency surgery: specificity of clinical presentationFausto Catena
St Orsola Malpighi University Hospital, Emergency Surgery, Bologna, Italy
ANZ J Surg 75:997-9. 2005....
- Prognostic criteria for postoperative mortality in 170 patients undergoing major right hepatectomyFilippo Filicori
General Surgery and Transplant Unit, Department of General Surgery and Organ Transplantation, University of Bologna, Via Massarenti 9, 40138 Bologna, Italy
Hepatobiliary Pancreat Dis Int 11:507-12. 2012..In addition, we identified prognostic factors linked to intra-hospital morbidity and mortality in these patients...
- Prospective analysis of 101 consecutive cases of laparoscopic cholecystectomy for acute cholecystitis operated with harmonic scalpelFausto Catena
Department of General and Transplant Surgery, St Orsola Malpighi University Hospital, University of Bologna, Bologna, Italy
Surg Laparosc Endosc Percutan Tech 19:312-6. 2009..Aim of this study was to prospectively evaluate whether the use of harmonic scalpel (HA) during VLC for AC, allowing a potentially better hemostasis and biliostasis, can decrease the conversion rate...
- Immune response to small intestinal submucosa (surgisis) implant in humans: preliminary observationsLuca Ansaloni
Unit of General Surgery, University of Bologna, Sant Orsola Malpighi Hospital, Bologna, Italy
J Invest Surg 20:237-41. 2007..Thus, this study showed that in a small series of patients the SIS elicits an antibody response without clinical rejection of the xenograft and minimal postoperative complications...
- Nonoperative management of blunt splenic injury in adults: there is (still) a long way to go. The results of the Bologna-Maggiore Hospital trauma center experience and development of a clinical algorithmGregorio Tugnoli
Trauma Surgery Unit, Department of Emergency, Maggiore Hospital, Bologna Local Health District, Bologna, Italy
Surg Today 45:1210-7. 2015....
- Houdini's last deception (or, Aristotle's bowel)Gregorio Tugnoli
Emergency Surgery and Trauma Surgery Unit, Department of Surgery, Maggiore Hospital, Bologna, Italy
Lancet 372:862. 2008
- Bologna Guidelines for Diagnosis and Management of Adhesive Small Bowel Obstruction (ASBO): 2010 Evidence-Based Guidelines of the World Society of Emergency SurgeryFausto Catena
Emergency Surgery Unit, Department of General and Multivisceral Transplant Surgery, S, Orsola Malpighi University Hospital, Bologna, Italy
World J Emerg Surg 6:5. 2011..abstract:..
- Complicated intra-abdominal infections in Europe: preliminary data from the first three months of the CIAO StudyMassimo Sartelli
Department of Surgery, Macerata Hospital, Macerata, Italy
World J Emerg Surg 7:15. 2012..White Blood Cell counts (WBCs) greater than 12,000 or less than 4,000 and core body temperatures exceeding 38°C or less than 36°C by the third post-operative day were statistically significant indicators of patient mortality...
- Complicated intra-abdominal infections in a worldwide context: an observational prospective study (CIAOW Study)Massimo Sartelli
Department of Surgery, Macerata Hospital, Macerata, Italy
World J Emerg Surg 8:1. 2013..7%) patients.The overall mortality rate was 10.1% (71/702). The final results of the CIAOW Study will be published following the conclusion of the study period in March 2013...
- Small bowel emergency surgery: literature's reviewCarlo Vallicelli
General, Emergency and Transplant Surgery Dept, Sant Orsola Malpighi University Hospital, Bologna, Italy
World J Emerg Surg 6:1. 2011..The aim of the present review is to provide the main indications to face the principal pathologies an emergency surgeon has to face with during his daily activity...
- Systemic cytokine response after emergency and elective surgery for colorectal carcinomaFausto Catena
Transplant, General and Emergency Surgery Department, St Orsola Malpighi University Hospital, Bologna, Italy
Int J Colorectal Dis 24:803-8. 2009..The aim of this prospective study was to compare the SC response after emergency resection with that after elective resections of colorectal carcinoma...
- The analgesic efficacy of continuous elastomeric pump ropivacaine wound instillation after appendectomyLuca Ansaloni
Unit of Emergency Surgery, Department of Surgical and Anaesthesiological Sciences, University of Bologna, Sant Orsola Malpighi Hospital, 40138 Bologna, Italy
J Clin Anesth 19:256-63. 2007..To evaluate the analgesic efficacy and safety of ropivacaine 0.2% when administered continuously via elastomeric pump after appendectomy...
- Comparison of quality control for trauma management between Western and Eastern European trauma centerStefano Massimiliano Calderale
Emergency and Trauma Surgery Unite, Maggiore Hospital Trauma Center, Bologna, Italy
World J Emerg Surg 3:32. 2008..This study was aimed to use the results as the basis for recommending and planning changes in the two trauma systems for a better trauma care...
- An unusual case of persistent pneumothoraxKenji Kawamukai
Thoracic Surgery Unit, Maggiore and Bellaria Hospitals, Bologna, Italy
Ann Thorac Surg 98:e15-7. 2014..Thus, a vascular percutaneous transcatheter embolization of the abnormal vessel was successfully executed and the patient was discharged without consequence. ..