Affiliation: CPO Piemonte
- Up-to-date estimates of breast cancer survival for the years 2000-2004 in 11 European countries: the role of screening and a comparison with data from the United StatesStefano Rosso
Piedmont Cancer Registry, CPO Centre for Epidemiology and Prevention in Oncology in Piedmont, Turin, Italy
Eur J Cancer 46:3351-7. 2010....
- Estimate of overdiagnosis of breast cancer due to mammography after adjustment for lead time. A service screening study in ItalyEugenio Paci
Clinical and Descriptive Epidemiology Unit, CSPO, Research Institute of the Tuscany Region, Via di San Salvi 12, Firenze, 50135, Italy
Breast Cancer Res 8:R68. 2006..Excess of incidence rates is the expected consequence of service screening. The aim of this paper is to estimate the quota attributable to overdiagnosis in the breast cancer screening programmes in Northern and Central Italy...
- Occupation and skin cancer: the results of the HELIOS-I multicenter case-control studyBerta Suárez
Environmental and Cancer Epidemiology Unit, National Center for Epidemiology, Carlos III Institute of Health, Sinesio Delgado 6, 28029 Madrid, Spain
BMC Public Health 7:180. 2007..Our objective is to evaluate the role of occupational exposures in NMSC, with special emphasis on risk factors other than solar radiation and skin type...
- [Estimate of cancer incidence in Italian regions, 2001]Stefano Rosso
Registro Tumori Piemonte, Centro di prevenzione oncologica, Torino, Italia
Epidemiol Prev 28:247-57. 2004..The purpose of the present paper is to calculate cancer incidence estimates in the italian regions for the year 2001...
- Is 2,3,5-pyrroletricarboxylic acid in hair a better risk indicator for melanoma than traditional epidemiologic measures for skin phenotype?Stefano Rosso
Oncology Prevention Center, Piedmont Cancer Registry, Turin, Italy
Am J Epidemiol 165:1170-7. 2007..3 (95% confidence interval: 1.36, 4.22). The amount of PTCA is thus a strong and independent risk indicator for melanoma. Incorporating PTCA determination into epidemiologic studies is therefore recommended...
- Multiple tumours in survival estimatesStefano Rosso
CPO Piedmont Cancer Registry, via San Francesco da Paola 31, 10123 Torino, Italy
Eur J Cancer 45:1080-94. 2009..The general effect of inclusion is to reduce survival estimates by a variable amount depending on the proportion of multiple primaries and cancer site...
- Methodological issues in estimating survival in patients with multiple primary cancers: an application to women with breast cancer as a first tumourStefano Rosso
Piedmont Cancer Registry CPO, Turin, Italy
Emerg Themes Epidemiol 6:2. 2009..In our application it shows a worse long-term mortality for women with two cancers than that with BC only. However, the increase in mortality was lower than expected under the additivity assumption...
- Multiple primary tumours: incidence estimation in the presence of competing risksStefano Rosso
Piedmont Cancer Registry CPO, Turin, Italy
Popul Health Metr 7:5. 2009..Estimating the risk of developing subsequent primary tumours in a population is difficult since the occurrence probability is conditioned to the survival probability...
- [Geographical estimates and prediction of cancer occurrences: fashion or necessity]Stefano Rosso
Registro Tumori Piemonte, CPO, Centro di prevenzione oncologica, Torino
Epidemiol Prev 26:254-6. 2002
- Sun exposure prior to diagnosis is associated with improved survival in melanoma patients: results from a long-term follow-up study of Italian patientsStefano Rosso
CPO, Cancer Prevention Centre, Piedmont Cancer Registry, via San Francesco da Paola 31, Turin, Italy
Eur J Cancer 44:1275-81. 2008..This study, with similar methods and a longer follow-up, confirms the finding that sun exposure prior to diagnosis of melanoma is associated with improved survival...
- Parkinson's disease and cancerRoberto Zanetti
Piedmont Cancer Registry CPO, Turin, Italy
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 16:1081. 2007
- The beginning of a decline in breast cancer incidence in Italy?Roberto Zanetti
Registro Tumori Piemonte, Turin, Italy
Tumori 94:293-6. 2008..This observation may be relevant to other geographical areas where organized or spontaneous screening reached a plateau after an increase in the preceding years...
- Levodopa and the risk of melanomaRoberto Zanetti
Piedmont Cancer Registry CPO, Turin 10123, Italy
Lancet 369:257-8. 2007
- [Will epidemiology succeed in saving the tumor registries?]Roberto Zanetti
Registro Tumori Piemonte, CPO, Centro di prevenzione oncologica, via San Francesco da Paola 31, 10123 Torino
Epidemiol Prev 26:198-202. 2002....
- Reproducibility of skin characteristic measurements and reported sun exposure historyStefano Rosso
CPO Registro Tumori Piemonte, Turin, Italy
Int J Epidemiol 31:439-46. 2002..We also intended to use results from reproducibility analysis for correcting odds ratio (OR) estimates from the original study...
- Impact of initial pattern of care on hospital costs in a cohort of incident lung cancer casesEva Pagano
Unit of Cancer Epidemiology, AOU S Giovanni Battista, CPO Piemonte, CERMS and University of Turin, Turin, Italy
J Eval Clin Pract 18:269-75. 2012..The aim of this study was to describe hospital costs due to lung cancer care from diagnosis until death or end of the study follow-up, in a cohort of incident cases, by using administrative data...
- PTCA determination in human hair: reliability and analytical aspectsRoberto Zanetti
CPO Piedmont Cancer Registry, Turin, Italy
Med Sci Monit 12:PI23-8. 2006..In this study we analysed the reliability of HPLC determination of 2.3.5-pyrroletricarboxylic acid (PTCA). This product derives from oxidation of melanin in human hair, and is a good candidate as a risk marker for skin tumors...
- Melanoma, Parkinson's disease and levodopa: causal or spurious link? A review of the literatureRoberto Zanetti
Piedmont Cancer Registry, Center for Oncology, Turin, Italy
Melanoma Res 16:201-6. 2006....
- New data tells us more about cancer incidence in North AfricaRoberto Zanetti
Piedmont Cancer Registry, CPO, Centre for Cancer Prevention, Torino, Italy
Eur J Cancer 46:462-6. 2010..The well-known excess risk for nasopharyngeal carcinoma in this area is confirmed, with rates reaching the level of 5.4 in men and 1.9 in women, which is 10 times higher than that in Europe...
- Compliance with clinical practice guidelines for breast cancer treatment: a population-based study of quality-of-care indicators in ItalyCarlotta Sacerdote
Cancer Epidemiology Unit, San Giovanni Battista Hospital, CPO Piemonte and University of Turin, Turin, Italy
BMC Health Serv Res 13:28. 2013..The aim of this population-based study was to evaluate the impact of regional guidelines (Piedmont guidelines, PGL) for breast cancer diagnosis and treatment on quality-of-care indicators in the Northwestern Italian region of Piedmont...
- Additional resection of an intraoperative margin-positive proximal bile duct improves survival in patients with hilar cholangiocarcinomaDario Ribero
Division of Hepato Biliary Pancreatic and Digestive Surgery, Ospedale Mauriziano Umberto I, Torino, Italy
Ann Surg 254:776-81; discussion 781-3. 2011..To assess the survival benefit of additional resection of an intraoperative positive proximal bile duct margin (BD(Marg)) in patients undergoing hepatectomy for hilar cholangiocarcinoma (HCCA)...
- Skin cancers: melanoma, non-melanoma cancers and Kaposi's sarcomaStefano Rosso
Registro tumori per il Piemonte e la Valle d Aosta, CPO Centro di riferimento regionale per l epidemiologia e la prevenzione dei tumori, ASO San Giovanni Battista di Torino
Epidemiol Prev 28:57-63. 2004..As regards Kaposis sarcoma (1,156 cases), incidence increased among males from 1986 to 1995 by about 13%/year, and then decreased; among females incidence was significantly increasing along the period...
- Cancer trends in Italy: figures from the cancer registries (1986-1997)Emanuele Crocetti
Registro Tumori Toscano, Unita operativa di epidemiologia clinica e descrittiva, Centro per lo Studio e la Prevenzione Oncologica, Istituto scientifico della Regione Toscana, Firenze
Epidemiol Prev 28:1-6. 2004..Incidence and mortality trends are summarised for single cancer sites. Crude rates are also showed to evaluate the effect of population ageing in terms of diagnostic and therapeutic burden for the National Health System...
- Near infrared spectroscopy as a tool for the determination of eumelanin in human hairMarina Zoccola
National Research Council, Institute for Macromolecular Studies, C so Pella 16, 13900 Biella Italy
Pigment Cell Res 17:379-85. 2004..8 for a mean value of 108.6 ng PTCA/mg hair. Some considerations about the accuracy of the obtained correlation and the main sources of error are made and some validation results are shown...
- [The database of the Italian cancer registries: estimates of the observed populations]Stefano Guzzinati
Registro Tumori del Veneto, Azienda Ospedaliera di Padova
Epidemiol Prev 28:231-8. 2004....
- Pregnancy history and incidence of melanoma in women: a pooled analysisMargaret R Karagas
Section of Biostatistics and Epidemiology, Department of Community and Family Medicine, Dartmouth Medical School, 7927 Rubin Bldg, One Medical Center Drive, Hanover, Lebanon, New Hampshire, 03756 0001, USA
Cancer Causes Control 17:11-9. 2006..g., <5 live births) (pOR 0.33, 95% CI 0.14-0.75). The results are compatible with an effect of reproductive history-related factors on melanoma risk, but also could reflect differences in other factors, such as sun exposure history...
- Smoking and lymphoma risk in the European prospective investigation into cancer and nutritionAlexandra Nieters
Division of Cancer Epidemiology, Deutsches Krebsforschungszentrum, Heidelberg, Germany
Am J Epidemiol 167:1081-9. 2008..Future analysis should involve viral biomarkers and genetic susceptibility markers to elucidate potential mechanisms of smoking-induced carcinogenesis, particularly for Hodgkin's lymphoma...
- Anthropometric factors and risk of melanoma in women: a pooled analysisCatherine M Olsen
Cancer and Population Studies Group, Queensland Institute of Medical Research, PO Royal Brisbane Hospital, Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Int J Cancer 122:1100-8. 2008..In aggregate, data from these studies suggest that greater height and weight gain may be risk factors for cutaneous melanoma in women...
- Estimated and observed cancer incidence in Italy: a validation studyRiccardo Capocaccia
Reparto di Epidemiologia dei Tumori, Centro Nazionale di Epidemiologia, Sorveglianza e Promozione della Salute, Istituto Superiore di Sanita, Rome, Italy
Tumori 93:387-91. 2007....
- Survival for eight major cancers and all cancers combined for European adults diagnosed in 1995-99: results of the EUROCARE-4 studyFranco Berrino
Department of Preventive and Predictive Medicine, Fondazione Istituto Nazionale dei Tumori, Milan, Italy
Lancet Oncol 8:773-83. 2007..This report (EUROCARE-4) presents survival data for eight selected cancer sites and for all cancers combined, diagnosed in adult (aged >/=15 years) Europeans in 1995-99 and followed up until the end of 2003...
- Trends in incidence rates of oesophagus and gastric cancer in Italy by subsite and histology, 1986-1997Maria A Orengo
Liguria Cancer Registry CR, Descriptive Epidemiology, National Cancer Research Institute IST, Genoa, Italy
Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 18:739-46. 2006..This is the first population-based study carried out in a southern European region to evaluate the time trends in incidence rates of oesophageal and gastric tumours according to subsite and histology over the period 1986-1997...
- [Past and future of International Classifications of Diseases]Roberto Zanetti
Epidemiol Prev 29:230-1. 2005
- Re: Breast cancer incidence, 1980-2006: combined roles of menopausal hormone therapy, screening mammography, and estrogen receptor statusAntonio Ponti
J Natl Cancer Inst 99:1817-8; author reply 1819. 2007