- [Life sciences: a new area of action for the physician]Marco Confalonieri
Struttura Complessa di Pneumologia, Ospedale di Cattinara, Azienda Ospedaliero Universitaria Ospedali Riuniti, Trieste
Recenti Prog Med 99:129-33. 2008..These experiences could open new exciting horizons for the medical science...
- To use or not to use corticosteroids for pneumonia? A clinician's perspectiveM Confalonieri
Struttura Complessa Pneumologia, Azienda Ospedaliero Universitaria Ospedali Riuniti di Trieste, Ospedale di Cattinara, Trieste, Italy
Monaldi Arch Chest Dis 77:94-101. 2012..Finally, infection surveillance is critical in patients treated with corticosteroids, and to prevent the rebound phenomenon, the drug should be weaned slowly...
- Is prolonged low-dose glucocorticoid treatment beneficial in community-acquired pneumonia?Marco Confalonieri
Department of Pneumology and Respiratory Intensive Care Unit, University Hospital of Cattinara, Trieste, Italy
Curr Infect Dis Rep 15:158-66. 2013..66, 95% confidence interval 0.51-0.84; p = .001). A large randomized trial is in progress to confirm the aggregate findings of these small trials and to evaluate the long-term effect of this low-cost treatment...
- Hydrocortisone infusion for severe community-acquired pneumonia: a preliminary randomized studyMarco Confalonieri
Azienda Ospedaliero Universitaria di Trieste, Strada di Fiume 447, 34100 Trieste, Italy
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 171:242-8. 2005..01), MODS score (p = 0.003), and delayed septic shock (p = 0.001). Hydrocortisone treatment was associated with a significant reduction in length of hospital stay (p = 0.03) and mortality (p = 0.009)...
- Methylprednisolone infusion for life-threatening H1N1-virus infectionMarco Confalonieri
Pneumology Department, University Hospital of Cattinara, Str Di Fiume 447, 34149 Trieste, Italy
Ther Adv Respir Dis 4:233-7. 2010..The most severe patient was a previously healthy 30-year-old man admitted to hospital because of bilateral pneumonia and severe acute respiratory failure...
- Bosentan for chronic thromboembolic pulmonary hypertensionMarco Confalonieri
Department of Pneumology, University Hospital of Trieste, Str Di Fiume 447, 34149 Trieste, Italy
Expert Rev Cardiovasc Ther 7:1503-12. 2009..However, further randomized controlled trials are needed to definitively establish bosentan as a standard drug for CTEPH...
- Prolonged hospitalisation for immigrants and high risk patients with positive smear pulmonary tuberculosisR Luzzati
Infectious Diseases Unit, University Hospital, Trieste, Italy
Monaldi Arch Chest Dis 75:141-5. 2011..Our aim was to evaluate a prolonged hospitalisation programme to improve early outcome of TB treatment in high risk patients...
- Long-term observational, non-randomized study of enzyme replacement therapy in late-onset glycogenosis type IIBruno Bembi
Regional Coordination Centre for Rare Diseases, University Hospital Santa Maria della Misericordia, Piazzale Santa Maria della Misericordia 15, 33100 Udine, Italy
J Inherit Metab Dis 33:727-35. 2010..Long-term follow-up studies are not available at present. The aim of this study was to evaluate the ERT long-term effects in late-onset GSDII...
- Bosentan for patients with chronic thromboembolic pulmonary hypertensionFabio Giuseppe Vassallo
Department of Pneumology, University Hospital of Trieste, Trieste, Italy
Eur J Intern Med 20:24-9. 2009..The aim of this prospective open-label, multicenter, study is to compare the efficacy of 1-year bosentan treatment to standard drugs in nonoperated patients with CTEPH...
- Respiratory intensive care units in Italy: a national census and prospective cohort studyM Confalonieri
Unità Operativa di Pneumologia, Ospedali Riuniti di Trieste, Trieste, Italy
Thorax 56:373-8. 2001..Because of the lack of official epidemiological data in these units, a two phase study was performed with the aim of describing the work profile in Italian RICUs...
- High-frequency percussive ventilation improves perioperatively clinical evolution in pulmonary resectionUmberto Lucangelo
Departments of Perioperative Medicine, Intensive Care and Emergency, Cattinara Hospital, University School of Medicine, Trieste, Italy
Crit Care Med 37:1663-9. 2009..These methods do not allow the removal of produced secretions. We hypothesized that high-frequency percussive ventilation(HFPV) can improve both conditions and reduce hospital length of stay in these patients...
- An investigation of airway acidification in asthma using induced sputum: a study of feasibility and correlationMetka Kodric
Department of Pulmonology SC Pneumologia, University Hospital of Trieste Azienda Ospedaliero Universitaria Ospedali Riuniti di Trieste, Strada di Fiume 447, Trieste, Italy
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 175:905-10. 2007..Acidification of the airways seems to be involved in asthma pathophysiology, but its assessment might be difficult...
- Noninvasive ventilation for treating acute respiratory failure in AIDS patients with Pneumocystis carinii pneumoniaMarco Confalonieri
Struttura Complessa Pneumologia, Azienda Ospedaliera di Trieste, U O Pneumologia, via Bonomea 265, 34100 Trieste, Italy
Intensive Care Med 28:1233-8. 2002..To compare noninvasive positive pressure ventilation (NPPV) vs. invasive mechanical ventilation in AIDS patients with Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia (PCP)-related acute respiratory failure (ARF)...
- The effectiveness of a bronchial drainage technique (ELTGOL) in COPD exacerbationsMetka Kodric
Department of Pneumology, University Hospital of Cattinara, Trieste, Italy
Respirology 14:424-8. 2009....
- [Prolonged infusion of hydrocortisone in patients with severe community acquired pneumonia]Marco Confalonieri
Recenti Prog Med 97:32-6. 2006..Moreover, this therapeutic approach seems to be associated with a significant reduction in duration of mechanical ventilation, in length of hospital stay and mortality in hospital...
- Costs of the COPD. Differences between intensive care unit and respiratory intermediate care unitGuido Bertolini
GiViTI Coordinating Centre, Istituto di Ricerche Farmacologiche Mario Negri Centro di Ricerche Cliniche per le Malattie Rare Aldo e Cele Daccò 24020 Ranica, Bergamo, Italy
Respir Med 99:894-900. 2005..To assess whether respiratory intermediate care units (RICUs) are cost effective alternatives to intensive care units (ICUs) for patients with exacerbation of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)...
- Iron lung vs mask ventilation in the treatment of acute on chronic respiratory failure in COPD patients: a multicenter studyAntonio Corrado
Respiratory Intensive Care Unit, Azienda Ospedaliera di Careggi Firenze, Florence, Italy
Chest 121:189-95. 2002..Evaluation of the effectiveness of negative-pressure ventilation (NPV) with the use of the iron lung vs noninvasive positive-pressure ventilation (NIPPV) in the treatment of COPD patients with acute on chronic respiratory failure...