- Ureteral stenting in cytoreductive surgery plus hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy as a routine procedure: evidence and necessityFederico Coccolini
Department of General and Emergency Surgery, Ospedali Riuniti, Bergamo, Italy
Urol Int 89:307-10. 2012..There is a need for more exhaustive data concerning the use of prophylactic ureteral stenting for extended debulking and cytoreductive procedures in the literature...
- Peritoneal cystic mesothelioma: are surgery and HIPEC optimal first-line treatments?Federico Coccolini
Dept of General and Emergency Surgery, Ospedali Riuniti, Bergamo, Italy
Onkologie 35:200-2. 2012..The medical community has yet to define standardized treatment guidelines for PCM...
- Tubercular bowel perforation: what to do?Federico Coccolini
Department of Surgery, Bologna University, St Orsola Hospital, Bologna, Italy
Ulus Travma Acil Cerrahi Derg 17:66-74. 2011..This pathology has several complications, including free intestinal perforation. The aim of this study was to analytically summarize all the pertinent literature discussing the various treatments for TB-related perforations...
- An innovative abdominal wall repair technique for infected prosthesis: the Eskimo techniqueFederico Coccolini
Department of General, Emergency and Transplant Surgery, Sant Orsola Malpighi University Hospital, Bologna, Italy
Ulus Travma Acil Cerrahi Derg 17:354-8. 2011..This technique confirmed that biological prostheses can be used safely and effectively for implantation in sites of infection...
- A prospective, multi centre, randomized clinical study to compare the efficacy and safety of Ertapenem 3 days versus Ampicillin-Sulbactam 3 days in the treatment of localized community acquired intra-abdominal infection. (T.E.A. Study: Three days ErtapeneFederico Coccolini
Unit of General, Emergency and Transplant Surgery, St, Orsola Malpighi University Hospital, Bologna, Italy
BMC Gastroenterol 11:42. 2011..Ampicillin-Sulbactam is a commonly used "first line" antibiotic for intra-abdominal infections. Ertapenem and Ampicillin-sulbactam are recommended as primary treatment agents for localized peritonitis by both the SIS and IDSA guidelines...
- Isn't it time to start speaking about "European surgeons"?Federico Coccolini
General, Emergency and Transplant Unit, Sant Orsola Malpighi University Hospital, Bologna, Italy
World J Emerg Surg 4:27. 2009..However every emergency surgeon must have a good formation in General Surgery but exist huge disparities between different European surgical formative systems...
- Colonic perforation after renal transplantation: risk factor analysisF Coccolini
Department of General Surgery, S Orsola University Hospital, Bologna, Italy
Transplant Proc 41:1189-90. 2009..The incidence of gastrointestinal (GI) complication in renal transplantation is relatively high. These complications may be severe, leading to graft loss and patient death...
- The HAC Trial (Harmonic for Acute Cholecystitis) Study. Randomized, double-blind, controlled trial of Harmonic(H) versus Monopolar Diathermy (M) for laparoscopic cholecystectomy (LC) for acute cholecystitis (AC) in adultsFausto Catena
Orsola Malpighi University Hospital, Bologna, Italy
Trials 10:34. 2009..9%).However there are not prospective randomized controlled trials showing the advantages of H compared to MD (the commonly used electrical scalpel) in LC...
- Peritoneal adhesions to prosthetic materials: an experimental comparative study of treated and untreated polypropylene meshes placed in the abdominal cavityLuca Ansaloni
Unit of General, Emergency, and Transplant Surgery, St Orsola Malpighi University Hospital, Bologna, Italy
J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A 19:369-74. 2009..The aim of this experimental study in a rat model was to assess the role of some materials, when combined with PP, in preventing the adhesions' formation...
- 2013 WSES guidelines for management of intra-abdominal infectionsMassimo Sartelli
Department of Surgery, Macerata Hospital, Macerata, Italy
World J Emerg Surg 8:3. 2013..The 2013 update of the World Society of Emergency Surgery (WSES) guidelines for the management of intra-abdominal infections contains evidence-based recommendations for management of patients with intra-abdominal infections...
- The NOTA Study (Non Operative Treatment for Acute Appendicitis): Prospective Study on the Efficacy and Safety of Antibiotics (Amoxicillin and Clavulanic Acid) for Treating Patients With Right Lower Quadrant Abdominal Pain and Long-Term Follow-up of ConserSalomone Di Saverio
Trauma Surgery Unit, Maggiore Hospital Regional Trauma Center, Bologna Local Health District, AUSL, Bologna, Italy I Unit, General and Emergency and Trauma Surgery, Ospedali Riuniti, Bergamo, Italy Department of Surgery, Hospital of Macerata, Macerata, Italy and Emergency and Trauma Surgery Department, Maggiore Hospital of Parma, Parma, Italy
Ann Surg 260:109-17. 2014..To assess the safety and efficacy of antibiotics treatment for suspected acute uncomplicated appendicitis and to monitor the long term follow-up of non-operated patients...
- Changes in the outcomes of severe trauma patients from 15-year experience in a Western European trauma ICU of Emilia Romagna region (1996-2010). A population cross-sectional survey studySalomone Di Saverio
Trauma Surgery Unit, Department of Emergency, Maggiore Hospital Trauma Center, AUSL Bologna Local Health District, Bologna, Italy
Langenbecks Arch Surg 399:109-26. 2014..In addition recent Government policy in safety regulations for road traffic accident (RTA) prevention, such compulsory helmet use (2000) and seatbelt restraint (2003) were issued with aim of decreasing mortality rate for trauma...
- Abdominal wall defect repair with biological prosthesis in transplanted patients: single center retrospective analysis and review of the literatureFederico Coccolini
Unit of General Surgery, Papa Giovanni XXIII hospital, P zza OMS 1, 24127, Bergamo, Italy
Updates Surg 65:191-6. 2013..The mean follow-up is 16.2 months. The mean complication rate is 9.4 %. Biological prosthesis seems to be useful and safe in abdominal wall repair surgery in transplanted patients...
- Inguinal hernia repair with porcine small intestine submucosa: 3-year follow-up results of a randomized controlled trial of Lichtenstein's repair with polypropylene mesh versus Surgisis Inguinal Hernia MatrixLuca Ansaloni
Unit of General, Emergency and Transplant Surgery, St Orsola Malpighi University Hospital, Bologna, Italy
Am J Surg 198:303-12. 2009..The aim of this study was to evaluate the safety and efficacy of Lichtenstein's hernioplasty using Surgisis Inguinal Hernia Matrix (SIHM; Cook, Bloomington, Indiana) compared with polypropylene (PP; Angiologica, Pavia, Italy)...
- Peritoneal adhesion index (PAI): proposal of a score for the "ignored iceberg" of medicine and surgeryFederico Coccolini
General and Emergency Surgery Department, Papa Giovanni XXIII hospital, Piazza OMS Organizzazione Mondiale della Sanità 1, 24128, Bergamo, Italy
World J Emerg Surg 8:6. 2013....
- Evaluation of extensive cytoreductive surgery and hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy (HIPEC) in patients with advanced epithelial ovarian cancerLuca Ansaloni
Unit of General Surgery I, Ospedali Riuniti of Bergamo, Bergamo, Italy
Int J Gynecol Cancer 22:778-85. 2012..The aim of the study was to analyze feasibility and results of CRS and HIPEC in patients with advanced EOC...
- Small bowel emergency surgery: literature's reviewCarlo Vallicelli
General, Emergency and Transplant Surgery Dept, Sant Orsola Malpighi University Hospital, Bologna, Italy
World J Emerg Surg 6:1. 2011..The aim of the present review is to provide the main indications to face the principal pathologies an emergency surgeon has to face with during his daily activity...
- Surgery versus conservative antibiotic treatment in acute appendicitis: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trialsLuca Ansaloni
Unit of General Surgery, Ospedali Riuniti, Bergamo, Italy lansaloni ospedaliriuniti bergamo it
Dig Surg 28:210-21. 2011..The aim of this analysis is to systematically evaluate the evidence available in relevant literature in order to compare the relative effectiveness of antibiotic therapy as a viable alternative to appendectomies in the treatment of AA...
- Prospective analysis of 101 consecutive cases of laparoscopic cholecystectomy for acute cholecystitis operated with harmonic scalpelFausto Catena
Department of General and Transplant Surgery, St Orsola Malpighi University Hospital, University of Bologna, Bologna, Italy
Surg Laparosc Endosc Percutan Tech 19:312-6. 2009..Aim of this study was to prospectively evaluate whether the use of harmonic scalpel (HA) during VLC for AC, allowing a potentially better hemostasis and biliostasis, can decrease the conversion rate...
- Thoracic wall reconstruction with Collamend® in trauma: report of a case and review of the literatureFederico Coccolini
General and Emergency Surgery dept, Ospedali Riuniti, Largo Barozzi, 1 26128, Bergamo, Italy
World J Emerg Surg 7:39. 2012..abstract:..
- Peritoneal carcinomatosisFederico Coccolini
Federico Coccolini, Marco Lotti, Luca Ansaloni, Department of General Surgery, Papa Giovanni XXIII hospital, 24127 Bergamo, Italy
World J Gastroenterol 19:6979-94. 2013....
- Complicated intra-abdominal infections in Europe: a comprehensive review of the CIAO studyMassimo Sartelli
Department of Surgery, Macerata Hospital, Macerata, Italy
World J Emerg Surg 7:36. 2012....
- Complicated intra-abdominal infections in a worldwide context: an observational prospective study (CIAOW Study)Massimo Sartelli
Department of Surgery, Macerata Hospital, Macerata, Italy
World J Emerg Surg 8:1. 2013..7%) patients.The overall mortality rate was 10.1% (71/702). The final results of the CIAOW Study will be published following the conclusion of the study period in March 2013...
- The need for new "patient-related" guidelines for the treatment of acute cholecystitisFabio C Campanile
Department of Surgery, ASL VT San Giovanni Decollato Andosilla Hospital, via Ferretti 169 Civita Castellana 01033, Italy
World J Emerg Surg 6:44. 2011..The relation among local pathological picture, patient clinical status and treatment algorithm, has to be better studied...
- Predictive factors of morbidity and mortality in grade IV and V liver trauma undergoing perihepatic packing: single institution 14 years experience at European trauma centreSalomone Di Saverio
Department of Emergency, Emergency Surgery and Trauma Surgery Unit, Maggiore Hospital, Bologna Local Health District, Bologna, Italy
Injury 43:1347-54. 2012..Major liver trauma in polytraumatic patients accounts for significant morbidity and mortality. We aimed to assess prognostic factors for morbidity and mortality in patients with severe liver trauma undergoing perihepatic packing...
- Meta-analysis of randomized trials comparing endoscopic stenting and surgical decompression for colorectal cancer obstructionVincenzo Cennamo
Unit of Digestive Endoscopy, Department of Surgery, AUSL Bologna Bellaria Hospital, Via Altura, 40139, Bologna, Italy
Int J Colorectal Dis 28:855-63. 2013..In recent years, colorectal stenting has been used to relieve the obstruction. This study used meta-analytic techniques to compare colonic stenting versus surgical decompression for colorectal cancer obstruction...
- Antimicrobial management of intra-abdominal infections: Literature's guidelinesMassimo Sartelli
Massimo Sartelli, Department of General Surgery, Macerata Hospital, 62100 Macerata, Italy
World J Gastroenterol 18:865-71. 2012..These guidelines represent the conclusions of the consensus conference held in Bologna, Italy, in July 2010 during the first congress of the WSES...
- Italian Biological Prosthesis Work-Group (IBPWG): proposal for a decisional model in using biological prosthesisFederico Coccolini
General and Emergency Surgery Department, Ospedali Riuniti, Bergamo, Italy
World J Emerg Surg 7:34. 2012..Indications for repair of abdominal hernia are well established and widely diffused. Controversies still exist about the indication in using the different prosthetic materials and principally about the biological ones...
- Peritoneal seeding from appendiceal carcinoma: A case report and review of the literatureValentina R Bertuzzo
Valentina R Bertuzzo, Federico Coccolini, Antonio D Pinna, Department of General, Emergency and Transplant Surgery, Sant Orsola Malpighi University Hospital, Via Massarenti 9, 40138 Bologna, Italy
World J Gastrointest Surg 2:265-9. 2010..This report offers a brief review of the literature and suggests an algorithm for the management of non-carcinoid appendiceal tumors with peritoneal dissemination...