Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: Centro di Riferimento Oncologico
- FEZ1/LZTS1 is down-regulated in high-grade bladder cancer, and its restoration suppresses tumorigenicity in transitional cell carcinoma cellsAndrea Vecchione
Department of Urology, Kimmel Cancer Center, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Am J Pathol 160:1345-52. 2002..These results suggest that FEZ1/LZTS1 gene plays a role in the development of TCC of the urinary bladder by acting as a bona fide tumor suppressor gene both in vitro and in vivo...
- Fez1/Lzts1 a new mitotic regulator implicated in cancer developmentAndrea Vecchione
Department of Molecular Virology, Immunology and Medical Genetics and Comprehensive Cancer Center, Ohio State University, OH, USA
Cell Div 2:24. 2007..Recently we identified a new player: FEZ1/LZTS1 that contributes to the fine-tuning of the molecular events that determine progression through mitosis, and here will review its role in cancer development and in M phase regulation...
- Linking inflammation to cell cycle progressionGustavo Baldassarre
Divisione di Oncologia Sperimentale 2, Centro di Riferimento Oncologico, Istituto Nazionale Tumori, IRCCS Aviano 33081, Italy
Curr Pharm Des 10:1653-66. 2004....
- p27(Kip1)-stathmin interaction influences sarcoma cell migration and invasionGustavo Baldassarre
Oncologia Sperimentale 2, Centro di Riferimento Oncologico, Istituto Nazionale Tumori, IRCCS, Aviano 33081, Italy
Cancer Cell 7:51-63. 2005..This study provides a functional link between proliferation and invasion of tumor cells based on diverse activities of p27(kip1) in different subcellular compartments...
- p27kip1 controls cell morphology and motility by regulating microtubule-dependent lipid raft recyclingBarbara Belletti
Division of Experimental Oncology 2, Centro di Riferimento Oncologico, National Cancer Institute, Via Franco Gallini, 2, 33081 Aviano, Italy
Mol Cell Biol 30:2229-40. 2010....
- The tumor suppressor functions of p27(kip1) include control of the mesenchymal/amoeboid transitionStefania Berton
Division of Experimental Oncology 2, Centro di Riferimento Oncologico, Aviano, Italy
Mol Cell Biol 29:5031-45. 2009..Thus, we highlight here a new p27 function in driving cell plasticity that is associated with its C-terminal portion and does not depend on the control of cyclin-dependent kinase activity...
- Stathmin activity influences sarcoma cell shape, motility, and metastatic potentialBarbara Belletti
Division of Experimental Oncology 2, Division of Pathology, and Clinical and Experimental Hematology Research Unit, Centro di Riferimento Oncologico, Istituto Nazionale Tumori, IRCCS Aviano 33081, Italy
Mol Biol Cell 19:2003-13. 2008..Our results indicate that stathmin plays a significant role in tumor metastasis formation, a finding that could lead to exploitation of stathmin as a target of new antimetastatic drugs...
- Role of T198 modification in the regulation of p27(Kip1) protein stability and functionMonica Schiappacassi
Division of Experimental Oncology 2, Centro di Riferimento Oncologico, National Cancer Institute, Aviano, Italy
PLoS ONE 6:e17673. 2011..On the other hand T198 phosphorylation favors p27/stathmin interaction eventually contributing to the regulation of cell motility, supporting the hypothesis that the presence of T198 is fundamental for the regulation of p27 functions...
- p27Kip1 expression inhibits glioblastoma growth, invasion, and tumor-induced neoangiogenesisMonica Schiappacassi
Division of Experimental Oncology 2, Centro di Riferimento Oncologico, Istituto Nazionale Tumori, IRCCS, Via Franco Gallini, 2 33081 Aviano, Italy
Mol Cancer Ther 7:1164-75. 2008....
- Stathmin: a protein with many tasks. New biomarker and potential target in cancerBarbara Belletti
National Cancer Institute, Centro di Riferimento Oncologico, Division of Experimental Oncology 2, Via Franco Gallini, 2, 33081 Aviano, Italy
Expert Opin Ther Targets 15:1249-66. 2011..These notions together with the fact that stathmin is expressed at very low levels in most adult tissues strongly support the use of stathmin as marker of prognosis and as target for novel anti-tumoral and anti-metastatic therapies...
- Targeted intraoperative radiotherapy impairs the stimulation of breast cancer cell proliferation and invasion caused by surgical woundingBarbara Belletti
Experimental Oncology, Centro di Riferimento Oncologico, Istituto di Ricovero e Cura a Carattere Scientifico, Aviano, Italy
Clin Cancer Res 14:1325-32. 2008..The proportional reduction of this risk by radiotherapy does not depend on the extent of surgery, suggesting that radiotherapy, in addition to killing tumor cells, may influence the tumor microenvironment...
- Alteration of G1/S transition regulators influences recurrences in head and neck squamous carcinomasVincenzo Canzonieri
Division of Pathology, Centro di Riferimento Oncologico, Istituto Nazionale Tumori, IRCCS, Aviano, Italy
J Cell Physiol 227:233-8. 2012....
- Glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor induces proliferative inhibition of NT2/D1 cells through RET-mediated up-regulation of the cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitor p27(kip1)Gustavo Baldassarre
Istituto Nazionale Tumori, Via M. Semmola, 80131, Naples, Italy
Oncogene 21:1739-49. 2002..Both DNA synthesis inhibition and SSEA-3 down-regulation are prevented if p27(kip1) expression is blocked by an antisense construct, which demonstrates that RET-triggered effects are mediated by p27(kip1)...
- Take your "M" timeGustavo Baldassarre
Division of Experimental Oncology 2, Centro di Riferimento Oncologico, Aviano, Italy
Cell Cycle 6:2087-90. 2007..As a consequence, Lzts1 absence in mice results in accelerated mitotic progression, improper chromosome segregation and, eventually, in increased incidence of both spontaneous and carcinogen-induced cancer formation...
- Reduced E-cadherin expression contributes to the loss of p27kip1-mediated mechanism of contact inhibition in thyroid anaplastic carcinomasMaria Letizia Motti
Dipartimento di Biologia e Patologia Cellulare e Molecolare L Califano Facoltà di Medicina e Chirurgia, Universita Federico II, Via S Pansini 5, 80131, Napoli, Italy
Carcinogenesis 26:1021-34. 2005..In summary, our data indicate that the altered response to contact inhibition exhibited by thyroid anaplastic cancer cells is due to the failure to upregulate p27(Kip1) in response to cell-cell interactions...
- Fez1/Lzts1 absence impairs Cdk1/Cdc25C interaction during mitosis and predisposes mice to cancer developmentAndrea Vecchione
Department of Molecular Virology, Immunology, and Medical Genetics and Comprehensive Cancer Center, Ohio State University, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
Cancer Cell 11:275-89. 2007..Accordingly, Lzts1 deficiency was associated with an increased incidence of both spontaneous and carcinogen-induced cancers in mice...
- E2F1-regulated microRNAs impair TGFbeta-dependent cell-cycle arrest and apoptosis in gastric cancerFabio Petrocca
Department of Molecular Virology, Immunology and Medical Genetics, Human Cancer Genetics Program, Ohio State University, 460 West 12th Avenue, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
Cancer Cell 13:272-86. 2008..Together, these results suggest that the miR-106b-25 cluster is involved in E2F1 posttranscriptional regulation and may play a key role in the development of TGFbeta resistance in gastric cancer...
- Overexpression of the HMGA2 gene in transgenic mice leads to the onset of pituitary adenomasMonica Fedele
Dipartimento di Biologia e Patologia Cellulare e Molecolare, Centro di Endocrinologia ed Oncologia Sperimentale del CNR, Facoltà di Medicina e Chirurgia di Napoli, Federico II Università degli Studi di Napoli, Via Pansini 5, 80131 Naples, Italy
Oncogene 21:3190-8. 2002..These transgenic mice may represent an important tool for the study of this kind of neoplasia...
- HMGA1 protein expression sensitizes cells to cisplatin-induced cell deathGustavo Baldassarre
Kimmel Cancer Center, Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia, PA 19107, USA
Oncogene 24:6809-19. 2005....
- Haploinsufficiency of the Hmga1 gene causes cardiac hypertrophy and myelo-lymphoproliferative disorders in miceMonica Fedele
Istituto di Endocrinologia ed Oncologia Sperimentale del Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche c o Dipartimento di Biologia e Patologia Cellulare e Molecolare, Universita di Napoli Federico II, Italy
Cancer Res 66:2536-43. 2006..Therefore, the data reported here indicate the critical role of HMGA1 in heart development and growth, and reveal an unsuspected antioncogenic potential for this gene in hematologic malignancies...
- Familial cancer associated with a polymorphism in ARLTS1George Adrian Calin
Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, USA
N Engl J Med 352:1667-76. 2005..The finding of hemizygous or homozygous deletions at band 14 on chromosome 13 in a variety of neoplasms suggests the presence of a tumor-suppressor locus telomeric to the RB1 gene...