Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: Catholic University
- Leoncini E, Edefonti V, Hashibe M, Parpinel M, Cadoni G, Ferraroni M, et al. Carotenoid intake and head and neck cancer: a pooled analysis in the International Head and Neck Cancer Epidemiology Consortium. Eur J Epidemiol. 2016;31:369-83 pubmed publisher..A diet rich in carotenoids may protect against HNC. Persons with both low carotenoid intake and high tobacco or alcohol are at substantially higher risk of HNC. ..
- Galli P, Cadoni G, Volante M, De Feo E, Amore R, Giorgio A, et al. A case-control study on the combined effects of p53 and p73 polymorphisms on head and neck cancer risk in an Italian population. BMC Cancer. 2009;9:137 pubmed publisher..Larger studies are required to confirm these findings. ..
- Boccia S, Sayed Tabatabaei F, Persiani R, Gianfagna F, Rausei S, Arzani D, et al. Polymorphisms in metabolic genes, their combination and interaction with tobacco smoke and alcohol consumption and risk of gastric cancer: a case-control study in an Italian population. BMC Cancer. 2007;7:206 pubmed..The increased risk for the carriers of CYP2E1*5A or *6 alleles among drinkers need to be confirmed by larger prospective studies. ..
- Boccia S, Cadoni G, Sayed Tabatabaei F, Volante M, Arzani D, De Lauretis A, et al. CYP1A1, CYP2E1, GSTM1, GSTT1, EPHX1 exons 3 and 4, and NAT2 polymorphisms, smoking, consumption of alcohol and fruit and vegetables and risk of head and neck cancer. J Cancer Res Clin Oncol. 2008;134:93-100 pubmed..The lack of interaction between the studied polymorphisms and the environmental exposures suggests that chronic consumption of tobacco and alcohol overwhelm enzyme defences, irrespective of genotype. ..
- Lugo A, La Vecchia C, Boccia S, Murisic B, Gallus S. Patterns of smoking prevalence among the elderly in Europe. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2013;10:4418-31 pubmed publisher..9%). Anti-tobacco campaigns and smoking cessation interventions specifically targeted to the elderly are urgently needed in Europe. ..
- Boccia S, Hashibe M, Galli P, De Feo E, Asakage T, Hashimoto T, et al. Aldehyde dehydrogenase 2 and head and neck cancer: a meta-analysis implementing a Mendelian randomization approach. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2009;18:248-54 pubmed publisher..57; P for interaction = 0.43). Besides showing the effectiveness of the Mendelian randomization approach, these findings support the theory that alcohol increases head and neck cancer risk through the carcinogenic action of acetaldehyde. ..
- Boccia S, Hung R, Ricciardi G, Gianfagna F, Ebert M, Fang J, et al. Meta- and pooled analyses of the methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase C677T and A1298C polymorphisms and gastric cancer risk: a huge-GSEC review. Am J Epidemiol. 2008;167:505-16 pubmed..05, 95% CI: 1.13, 3.72) versus high (OR = 0.95, 95% CI: 0.54, 1.67) folate levels. Overall, these findings support the hypothesis that folate plays a role in gastric carcinogenesis. ..
- Boccia S, De Lauretis A, Gianfagna F, van Duijn C, Ricciardi G. CYP2E1PstI/RsaI polymorphism and interaction with tobacco, alcohol and GSTs in gastric cancer susceptibility: A meta-analysis of the literature. Carcinogenesis. 2007;28:101-6 pubmed..This meta-analysis suggests that the CYP2E1 PstI/RsaI polymorphism may be a risk factor for gastric cancer in Asians, and that a synergic relation among GSTM1 and CYP2E1 may account for a proportion of gastric cancer cases. ..
- Boccia S, Cadoni G, La Torre G, Arzani D, Volante M, Cattel C, et al. A case-control study investigating the role of sulfotransferase 1A1 polymorphism in head and neck cancer. J Cancer Res Clin Oncol. 2006;132:466-72 pubmed..82; 95% CI=1.10-30.68). These preliminary findings show for the first time that the SULT1A1 His (213) allele is a possible risk factor for head and neck cancer development. ..