- Clinical experience with Topiramate to counteract neuroleptic induced weight gain in 10 individuals with autistic spectrum disordersRoberto Canitano
Division of Child Neuropsychiatry, General University Hospital of Siena, Viale Bracci 1, 53100 Siena, Italy
Brain Dev 27:228-32. 2005..Behavioral adverse effects were observed in three patients causing rapid withdrawal of the medication. TPM should be used with caution in autistic spectrum disorders because this population has a high risk of behavioral disruption...
- Epilepsy, electroencephalographic abnormalities, and regression in children with autismRoberto Canitano
Division of Child Neuropsychiatry, General University Hospital of Siena, Siena, Italy
J Child Neurol 20:27-31. 2005..In the study group, the prevalence of epilepsy was in the low range of individuals with autism, and different types of epilepsy were observed. Autism with regression was not influenced by paroxysmal abnormalities and epilepsy...
- Risperidone in the treatment of behavioral disorders associated with autism in children and adolescentsRoberto Canitano
Division of Child Neuropsychiatry, University Hospital of Siena Siena, Italy
Neuropsychiatr Dis Treat 4:723-30. 2008..4 double blind controlled trial. 3 reanalysis studies, and 12 open studies have documented the role of risperidone in children with ASD. Controlled studies have been thoroughly considered in this review...
- Novel treatments in autism spectrum disorders: from synaptic dysfunction to experimental therapeuticsRoberto Canitano
Division of Child Neuropsychiatry, University Hospital of Siena, Italy
Behav Brain Res 251:125-32. 2013..Children and adolescents with ASD and their families can provide vital information about their experiences with new treatments, which should be a priority for future research. ..
- Psychopharmacology in autism: an updateRoberto Canitano
Division of Child Neuropsychiatry, University Hospital of Siena, Viale Bracci 14, 53100 Siena, Italy
Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry 35:18-28. 2011..An update of currently available pharmacological treatments is provided...
- Tics and Tourette syndrome in autism spectrum disordersRoberto Canitano
University Hospital of Siena, Italy
Autism 11:19-28. 2007..An association between the level of mental retardation and tic severity was found. It is concluded that the occurrence of tics in ASDs should not be overlooked and should be carefully evaluated...
- Epilepsy in autism spectrum disordersRoberto Canitano
Division of Child Neuropsychiatry, General University Hospital of Siena, Viale Bracci 14, 53100 Siena, Italy
Eur Child Adolesc Psychiatry 16:61-6. 2007..The current understanding of the association between epilepsy and autism is still limited, but from a clinical point of view this association should not be overlooked, and it should be routinely investigated...
- Autistic epileptiform regressionRoberto Canitano
Division of Child and Adolescent Neuropsychiatry, General University Hospital of Siena, Italy
Funct Neurol 21:97-101. 2006....
- Self injurious behavior in autism: clinical aspects and treatment with risperidoneR Canitano
Division of Child Neuropsychiatry, University General Hospital of Siena, Italy
J Neural Transm 113:425-31. 2006..A decrease in Yale-Paris Self Injurious Behavior Scale score (from M 15.1+/-1.4 to 13.3+/-1.4) was noted mainly due to the reduction of frequency. Side effects of risperidone were not severe...
- Study of MECP2 gene in Rett syndrome variants and autistic girlsMichele Zappella
Department of Child Neuropsychiatry, Azienda Ospedaliera Senese, Siena, Italy
Am J Med Genet B Neuropsychiatr Genet 119:102-7. 2003..Furthermore, MECP2 mutations are not found in patients in which autism remains stable over the years...
- Chromosome 2 deletion encompassing the MAP2 gene in a patient with autism and Rett-like featuresC Pescucci
Medical Genetics, Department of Molecular Biology, University of Siena, Siena, Italy
Clin Genet 64:497-501. 2003....
- Private inherited microdeletion/microduplications: implications in clinical practiceMaria Antonietta Mencarelli
Medical Genetics, Molecular Biology Department, University of Siena, Viale Bracci 2, 53100 Siena, Italy
Eur J Med Genet 51:409-16. 2008..A more complex mechanism may in fact be involved, such as a concurrent variation in the other allele or in another chromosome that influences the phenotype...