- Merkel cell carcinoma arising in inguinal lymph node in a patient with von Willebrand disease after multiple blood transfusionsRenzo Boldorini
Department of Health Sciences and Translational Medicine, School of Medicine, University of Eastern Piedmont, and Maggiore della Carità Hospital, 28100 Novara, Italy Electronic address
J Clin Virol 60:73-5. 2014..We discuss the role of MCPyV in the development of this tumour, the use of viral DNA detection for confirming the diagnosis of MCC in unusual sites and the possibility of MCPyV transmission from blood donors. ..
- NLRP1 polymorphisms in patients with asbestos-associated mesotheliomaMartina Girardelli
Institute for Maternal and Child Health IRCCS Burlo Garofolo, University of Trieste, Trieste, Italy
Infect Agent Cancer 7:25. 2012..abstract:..
- Complications post renal transplantation: literature focus on BK virus nephropathy and diagnostic tools actually availableMonica Mischitelli
Department of Public Health Sciences, La Sapienza University, Rome, Italy
Virol J 5:38. 2008....
- Serological evidence of vertical transmission of JC and BK polyomaviruses in humansRenzo Boldorini
Department of Medical Sciences, Faculty of Medicine, University Amedeo Avogadro of the Eastern Piedmont, Novara, Italy
J Gen Virol 92:1044-50. 2011..These results suggest JC virus and BK virus can be transmitted from mother to newborn during pregnancy or soon after birth...
- Fatal splenic rupture in a pregnant woman with hemoglobin C/beta-thalassemia and myeloid metaplasiaRenzo Boldorini
Department of Medical Science, University School of Medicine Amedeo Avogadro of Eastern Piedmon, Novara, Italy
Arch Pathol Lab Med 130:1231-2. 2006..Our data suggest that rare and hidden hematologic disorders should be considered as possible causes of splenic enlargement and rupture during pregnancy...
- Latent human polyomavirus infection in pregnancy: investigation of possible transplacental transmissionRenzo Boldorini
Scienze Mediche, Facolta di Medicina e Chirurgia, Novara, Italy
Pathology 40:72-7. 2008..The purpose of the study was to investigate the transplacental transmission of the human polyomaviruses JCV and BKV...
- BK virus sequences in specimens from aborted fetusesRenzo Boldorini
Faculty of Medicine, Department of Medical Sciences, University Amedeo Avogadro of East Piedmont, Novara, Italy
J Med Virol 82:2127-32. 2010..This may happen in early pregnancy and does not seem to be associated with an increased risk of abortion...
- Kidney and urinary tract polyomavirus infection and distribution: molecular biology investigation of 10 consecutive autopsiesRenzo Boldorini
Department of Medical Science, University School of Medicine Amedeo Avogadro of Eastern Piedmont, Novara, Italy
Arch Pathol Lab Med 129:69-73. 2005..These findings could result from a selective infection of kidney and urinary tract segments by JCV or BKV...
- Periodic assessment of urine and serum by cytology and molecular biology as a diagnostic tool for BK virus nephropathy in renal transplant patientsRenzo Boldorini
Department of Medical Sciences, Faculty of Medicine and Surgery, Amedeo Avogdro University of East Piedmont, and Unit of Nephrology, Dialysis and Transplantation, Maggiore Hospital, Novara, Italy
Acta Cytol 49:235-43. 2005..To investigate the significance of polyomavirus (PV) viruria and viremia by morphologic, immunohistochemical and molecular analysis (multiplex nested-polymerase chain reaction) in renal transplant patients...
- Primary choroid plexus papilloma of the sacral nerve rootsRenzo Boldorini
Department of Medical Sciences, University School of Medicine Amedeo Avogadro, Novara, Italy
J Neurosurg Spine 10:51-3. 2009....
- Lytic JC virus infection in the kidneys of AIDS subjectsRenzo Boldorini
Dipartimento di Scienze Mediche, Facolta di Medicina e Chirurgia, Università Amedeo Avogadro del Piemonte Orientale, Novara, Italy
Mod Pathol 16:35-42. 2003..Molecular biology revealed major rearrangements in the transcriptional control region that, together with other unknown factors, could justify the increased pathogenicity of this human polyomavirus...
- Genomic mutations of viral protein 1 and BK virus nephropathy in kidney transplant recipientsRenzo Boldorini
Department of Medical Sciences, University Amedeo Avogadro of East Piedmont, Novara, Italy
J Med Virol 81:1385-93. 2009..Whether this specific amino acid change plays a role in disease deserves further study...
- Detection, distribution, and pathologic significance of BK virus strains isolated from patients with kidney transplants, with and without polyomavirus-associated nephropathyRenzo Boldorini
Department of Medical Science, University School of Medicine Amedeo Avogadro of Eastern Piedmont, Novara, Italy
Arch Pathol Lab Med 133:766-74. 2009..BK virus strains or regulatory region sequence variations may play a role in the pathogenesis of polyomavirus-associated nephropathy (PVAN), although no definite relationship has yet been demonstrated...
- Fluorescence in situ hybridisation in the cytological diagnosis of pancreatobiliary tumoursRenzo Boldorini
Department of Medical Sciences, Faculty of Medicine, University of the Eastern Piedmont Amedeo Avogadro, Novara, Italy
Pathology 43:335-9. 2011..To assess the sensitivity, specificity, positive and negative predictive values of fluorescence in situ hybridisation (FISH) and conventional cytology in identifying bile duct stricture malignancies...
- Are sequence variations in the BK virus control region essential for the development of polyomavirus nephropathy?Renzo Boldorini
Department of Medical Sciences, University School of Medicine and Surgery, Amedeo Avogadro of Eastern Piedmont, Novara, Italy
Am J Clin Pathol 124:303-12. 2005..Neither the detection and number of decoy cells nor the PAN stage were related to the specific type of NCCR sequence rearrangements. NCCR rearrangements do not seem essential for the development of PAN...
- A case-control histological study on the effects of phlebotomy in patients with chronic hepatitis CMassimo Sartori
Gastroenterology Unit, AOU Maggiore della Carita, Novara, Italy
Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 23:1178-84. 2011....
- Sequence analysis of the JC virus transcriptional control region detected in urine from HIV-positive patientsElisabetta Omodeo-Zorini
Department of Medical Sciences, Faculty of Medicine and Surgery, University of East Piedmont Amedeo Avogadro
Acta Cytol 47:985-90. 2003..To investigate the correlation between transcriptional control region (TCR) types and virus replication and the role of decreased host immunity in inducing TCR changes...
- Mutation analysis of KRAS in primary colorectal cancer and matched metastases by means of highly sensitivity molecular assayUmberto Miglio
Laboratory of Molecular Pathology, Department of Health Sciences, University of Eastern Piedmont Amedeo Avogadro, Novara, Italy
Pathol Res Pract 209:233-6. 2013..Our results indicate that the mutation status of KRAS is the same in primary CRC and metastasis, suggesting that in clinical practice, KRAS testing can be performed on both tumor tissues when using a highly sensitive molecular assay...
- Epidermal growth factor receptor gene analysis with a highly sensitive molecular assay in routine cytologic specimens of lung adenocarcinomaSara Allegrini
Dipartimento di Scienze della Salute, Facolta di Medicina e Chirurgia di Novara, Via Solaroli 17, 28100 Novara, Italy
Am J Clin Pathol 138:377-81. 2012..DNA was amplified in 12 of 18 Duboscq-Brasil-fixed samples. These findings indicate that cytologic specimens are adequate for EGFR testing when a highly sensitive assay is used, even if they are paucicellular or not optimally fixed...
- Phlebotomy improves histology in chronic hepatitis C males with mild iron overloadMassimo Sartori
Gastroenterology Unit, Azienda Ospedaliero Universitaria Maggiore della Carita, Corso Mazzini, 18, 28100 Novara, Italy
World J Gastroenterol 16:596-602. 2010..To investigate the usefulness of mild iron depletion and the factors predictive for histological improvement following phlebotomy in Caucasians with chronic hepatitis C (CHC)...
- Molecular characterisation of JC virus strains detected in human brain tumoursRenzo Boldorini
Dipartimento di Scienze Mediche Facoltà di Medicina e Chirurgia Università del Piemonte Orientale Amedeo Avogadro, Novara, Italy
Pathology 35:248-53. 2003..The aim of this study was to evaluate the presence and significance of JC virus (JCV) in human brain tumours...
- Heterozygous beta-globin gene mutations as a risk factor for iron accumulation and liver fibrosis in chronic hepatitis CMassimo Sartori
Gastroenterology Units, Ospedale Maggiore della Carita, Novara, Italy
Gut 56:693-8. 2007..Iron accumulation is a well-known risk factor for the progression of chronic hepatitis C (CHC) to fibrosis. However, the profibrogenic role of the genes controlling iron homeostasis is still controversial...
- α- and β-Papillomavirus infection in a young patient with an unclassified primary T-cell immunodeficiency and multiple mucosal and cutaneous lesionsManuela M Landini
Virology Unit, Department of Translational Medicine, Medical School of Novara, Novara, Italy Department of Public Health and Pediatric Sciences, University of Turin, Turin, Italy
J Am Acad Dermatol 71:108-115.e1. 2014..Correlating human papillomavirus (HPV) type with the clinical and histopathological features of skin lesions (from genital and nongenital sites) can present a diagnostic challenge...
- KRAS mutational analysis in ductal adenocarcinoma of the pancreas and its clinical significanceUmberto Miglio
Department of Health Sciences, Division of Pathology, University of Eastern Piedmont Amedeo Avogadro, Via Solaroli 17, 28100 Novara, Italy Electronic address
Pathol Res Pract 210:307-11. 2014..No correlation was found between the frequency of cancer recurrence and KRAS mutations in surgical margins. ..
- Peritoneal psammocarcinoma diagnosed by a Papanicolau smear: a case reportFrancesca Riboni
Unit of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Maggiore Hospital and University School of Medicine Amedeo Avogadro, Novara, Italy
Acta Cytol 54:311-3. 2010..Serous psammocarcinoma is a rare variant of epithelial neoplasia that can arise from the ovaries or peritoneum. It is characterized by massive psammoma body formation, invasiveness and low grade cytologic features...
- Increased interleukin-10 in Helicobacter pylori infection could be involved in the mechanism protecting from allergyGiuseppina Oderda
Department of Pediatrics, Clinica Pediatrica, Universita del Piemonte Orientale, Novara, Italy
J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 45:301-5. 2007..To elucidate a possible mechanism involved in protecting against the development of atopy, we measured expression of IL-10 in gastric mucosa of children with H pylori gastritis...
- Extra-osseous Ewing sarcoma of the thyroid gland mimicking lymphoma recurrence: a case reportElena Maldi
Dipartimento di Medicina della Salute, Facolta di Medicina e Chirurgia, Universita del Piemonte Orientale Amedeo Avogadro, Novara, Italy
Pathol Res Pract 208:356-9. 2012..This paper also discusses the main differential diagnoses, including lymphoma recurrence, other small round cell tumors (primary or metastatic), and a thyroid localization of an EWS/PNET from another organ...
- Reliability and reproducibility of the edmondson grading of hepatocellular carcinoma using paired core biopsy and surgical resection specimensMario Pirisi
Department of Clinical Medicine, University of Eastern Piedmont A Avogadro, Novara, Italy
Arch Pathol Lab Med 134:1818-22. 2010..However, EGS reliability in biopsy specimens has been questioned...
- Primary vulvar Ewing's sarcoma/primitive neuroectodermal tumor in a post-menopausal woman: a case reportRenzo Boldorini
Department of Pathology, Maggiore Hospital, University School of Medicine Amedeo Avogadro, Novara, Italy
Pathol Res Pract 206:476-9. 2010..Our findings underline the crucial role of molecular biology techniques in the differential diagnosis of small round cell tumors in these unusual locations...
- Metastasis to subsegmental and segmental lymph nodes in patients resected for non-small cell lung cancer: prognostic impactOttavio Rena
Thoracic Surgery Unit, University of Eastern Piedmont, Novara, Italy Electronic address
Ann Thorac Surg 97:987-92. 2014..We investigated the prognostic significance of segmental and subsegmental (level 13 and 14) lymph nodes metastasis in patients with resected non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC)...
- Moderate alcohol consumption increases oxidative stress in patients with chronic hepatitis CCristina Rigamonti
Internal Medicine Unit, Ospedale Maggiore della Carita, Novara, Italy
Hepatology 38:42-9. 2003..In conclusion, even moderate alcohol consumption promotes oxidative stress in CHC patients, suggesting a role for oxidative injury in the worsening of CHC evolution by alcohol...
- Fine needle aspiration cytology in the diagnosis of non-Hodgkin's lymphomas of the muscle: a report of 2 casesCristina Bozzola
Department of Medical Sciences, Faculty of Medicine and Surgery, Amedeo Avogadro University of East Piedmont, Novara, Italy
Acta Cytol 49:213-8. 2005..Fine needle aspiration cytology (FNAC) has not been considered before for the diagnosis of muscle lymphoma...
- Role of HPV testing in the follow-up of women treated for cervical dysplasiaRaffaella Ribaldone
Obstetric and Gynecological Unit, Maggiore Hospital and University of Eastern Piedmont, Novara, Italy
Arch Gynecol Obstet 282:193-7. 2010..The aim of study was to investigate factors predicting persistence or relapse of disease after cervical conisation for high-grade squamous intraepithelial lesions (CIN 2 or 3)...
- Shoulder MR arthrography: in vitro determination of optimal gadolinium dilution as a function of field strengthAlessandro Stecco
Radiology Department, Maggiore della Carita Hospital, Eastern Piedmont University, Novara, Italy
J Magn Reson Imaging 25:200-7. 2007..To find the optimal contrast agent dilution to maximize signal intensity (SI), signal-to-noise ratio (SNR), and contrast-to-noise ratio (CNR) in shoulder MR arthrography using MR systems operating at different magnetic field strengths...
- High accuracy of noninvasive tests to diagnose Helicobacter pylori infection in very young childrenElena Dondi
Pediatric Department, University of Piemonte Orientale, and Microbiology Laboratory Maggiore della Carità Hospital, Novara, Italy
J Pediatr 149:817-21. 2006..To validate the (13)C-urea-breath-test (UBT) and stool antigen test (HpSA) in children aged 5 years or younger, against invasive histologic study and rapid-urease-testing or culture...
- Improved detection reveals active β-papillomavirus infection in skin lesions from kidney transplant recipientsCinzia Borgogna
Virology Unit, Department of Translational Medicine, Medical School of Novara, Novara, Italy
Mod Pathol . 2014..Modern Pathology advance online publication, 3 January 2014; doi:10.1038/modpathol.2013.240...
- Different patterns of renal damage in type 2 diabetes mellitus: a multicentric study on 393 biopsiesGianna Mazzucco
Dipartimento di Scienze Biomediche e Oncologia Umana, Facolta di Medicina e Chirurgia, Universita di Torino, Torino, Italy
Am J Kidney Dis 39:713-20. 2002..This study helps clarify the frequency of renal changes in patients with type 2 diabetes and suggests more extensive use of renal biopsy to obtain reliable prognostic indications and plan a rational therapeutic approach...
- Persisting subcutaneous emphysema of eyelids mimicking orbital tumorCristina Bozzola
From the Units of Pathology, Otorhinolaryngology, Maxillofacial Surgery, Department of Medical Sciences, Faculty of Medicine and Surgery, Amedeo Avogadro University of East Piedmont, Novara, Italy
J Craniofac Surg 24:1685-7. 2013..Histologic examination represented an important tool for differential diagnosis with soft tissue neoplasms of the orbit in subcutis emphysema with unusual clinical presentation and abnormal course. ..
- Glioblastoma multiforme of the conus medullaris in a child: description of a case and literature reviewAlessandro Stecco
SCDU Radiologia, AO Maggiore della Carità, Novara, Italy
AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 26:2157-60. 2005..Nine months after the surgical treatment, the patient showed leptomeningeal recurrence. This case appears to be unusual for both the hysto-type and the nonspecific MR imaging features...
- A malignant fibroleiomyoma of the testisGian Carlo Avanzi
Dipartimento di Medicina e Sperimentale, Universita del Piemonte Orientale, A Avogadro, Novara, Italy
Clin Lymphoma Myeloma 6:414-6. 2006..Reports suggest that benign tumors can be harbingers of angiotropic lymphoma or facilitate its onset. To date, no testicular or epididymal primary site has been reported for angiotropic lymphoma...
- Reciprocal potentiation of the antitumoral activities of FK866, an inhibitor of nicotinamide phosphoribosyltransferase, and etoposide or cisplatin in neuroblastoma cellsCristina Travelli
Department of Chemical, Food, Pharmaceutical, and Pharmacological Sciences, Universita del Piemonte Orientale, Novara, Italy
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 338:829-40. 2011..Even more strikingly, cotreatment with etoposide/cisplatin and FK866 unmasks an effect on mitochondrial NAD depletion...
- Clinical pattern of celiac disease is still changingAndrea Garampazzi
Department of Pediatrics, Universita del Piemonte Orientale, Novara, Italy
J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 45:611-4. 2007..Age at diagnosis (5.9 y, P = 0.01) and silent forms (10.6%, P = 0.003) have significantly increased in the past 5 years. Histological examination showed decreased subtotal and increased partial villous atrophy prevalence (P = 0.02)...
- Clarithromycin resistance of Helicobacter pylori strains isolated from children' gastric antrum and fundus as assessed by fluorescent in-situ hybridization and culture on four-sector agar platesElisa Caristo
Department of Pediatrics, Universita del Piemonte Orientale, Novara, Italy
Helicobacter 13:557-63. 2008..To assess validity of culture on four-sector agar plates and fluorescent in-situ hybridization (FISH) test, and clarithromycin resistance rate in Helicobacter pylori strains isolated from children in the last 10 years...
- Distribution, characterization and significance of polyomavirus genomic sequences in tumors of the brain and its coveringSerena Delbue
Laboratory of Molecular Biology and Biotechnology, Don Carlo Gnocchi Foundation, IRCCS, Milan, Italy
J Med Virol 77:447-54. 2005..Although a cause and effect was not demonstrated and the specific role of the viruses remains unknown, the findings appear to confirm the hypothesis that JCV and BKV could be important co-factors in tumor pathogenesis...
- [BK virus encephalitis in an HIV-seropositive patient. Preliminary data]Pietro Luigi Garavelli
Strutture Complesse di Malattie Infettive, ASO Maggiore della Carita, Novara
Recenti Prog Med 93:247. 2002..We report the case of a 37 year-old male HIV positive patient with BKV encephalitis. This diagnosis should be considered in AIDS patients with signs of cerebral disease...
- Detection of Dirofilaria (Nochtiella) repens DNA by polymerase chain reaction in embedded paraffin tissues from two human pulmonary locationsFrancesco Rivasi
Department of Diagnostic and Laboratory Service and Forensic Medicine, Section of Pathological Anatomy, University of Modena and Reggio Emilia, Modena, Italy
APMIS 114:567-74. 2006..These cases represent the first PCR-based diagnosis of D. repens in a human pulmonary dirofilariasis on samples embedded in paraffin...
- Human leukocyte antigen distribution analysis in North Italian brain Glioma patients: an association with HLA-DRB1*14Franca R Guerini
Laboratory of Molecular Medicine and Biotechnology, Don C Gnocchi Foundation IRCCS, S Maria Nascente, Milan, Italy
J Neurooncol 77:213-7. 2006....
- Frequent alterations in the expression of serine/threonine kinases in human cancersMaria Capra
Istituto FIRC di Oncologia Molecolare, Milan, Italy
Cancer Res 66:8147-54. 2006..Among the overexpressed kinases, 10 were undetectable in normal controls and are therefore ideal candidates for further validation as potential targets of molecular cancer therapy...
- Histopathology of gastric and duodenal Strongyloides stercoralis locations in fifteen immunocompromised subjectsFrancesco Rivasi
Department of Pathologic Anatomy and Forensic Medicine, Section of Pathological Anatomy, University of Modena and Reggio Emilia, Modena, Italy
Arch Pathol Lab Med 130:1792-8. 2006..Strongyloidiasis is a worldwide parasitic infection affecting approximately 75 million people. In Italy, it was more prevalent in the past among rural populations of irrigated areas...