Genomes and Genes
- Blood Pressure and Left Ventricular Characteristics in Young Patients with Classical Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia due to 21-Hydroxylase DeficiencyGraziamaria Ubertini
Department of Pediatrics, Unit of Endocrinology and Diabetes, Bambino Gesu Children s Hospital, School of Medicine, University of Rome Tor Vergata, P zza S Onofrio 4, 00165 Rome, Italy
Int J Pediatr Endocrinol 2009:383610. 2009..044, 95% CI: 0.09 to 6.17, beta = 3.13) and testosterone (P: .031, 95% CI: 0.002 to 0.035, beta = 0.018). Hydrocortisone dose did not influence ambBP, excBP, or myocardial hypertrophy...
- Bone and body composition analyzed by Dual-energy X-ray Absorptiometry (DXA) in clinical and nutritional evaluation of young patients with Cystic Fibrosis: a cross-sectional studyVincenzina Lucidi
Unit of Cystic Fibrosis, Department of Pediatric Medicine Bambino Gesù Children s Hospital, IRCCS, Rome, Italy
BMC Pediatr 9:61. 2009..We investigated the correlation between the severity of the clinical condition, bone status and body composition parameters, in a group of children and young adults with CF...
- Ovarian hyperandrogenism in adolescents and young women with type I diabetes is primarily related to birth weight and body mass indexCarla Bizzarri
Unit of Endocrinology and Diabetes, Bambino Gesu Children s Hospital, Rome, Italy
Fertil Steril 96:1497-1502.e1. 2011..To clarify the effects of insulin therapy on ovarian androgen production, hyperandrogenism and polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) in adolescents and young women with type 1 diabetes (T1D)...
- Dumping syndrome: an unusual cause of severe hyperinsulinemic hypoglycemia in neurologically impaired children with gastrostomyC Bizzarri
Unit of Endocrinology and Diabetes, Department of Pediatric Medicine, Rome, Italy
Minerva Pediatr 63:67-71. 2011..In these patients intensive monitoring of blood glucose levels should be performed to calibrate meals. Repeated underestimated hypoglycemic episodes could worsen neurological damage and cause a deterioration in clinical conditions...
- Clinical presentation and autoimmune characteristics of very young children at the onset of type 1 diabetes mellitusCarla Bizzarri
Unit of Endocrinology and Diabetes, Bambino Gesu Children s Hospital, University of Rome Tor Vergata, Piazza S Onofrio, Rome, Italy
J Pediatr Endocrinol Metab 23:1151-7. 2010..T1D in very young children is characterized by a more extensive beta-cell destruction, and younger age at onset is related to a more severe decompensation...
- Growth hormone response to physical exercise in growing patients with classic congenital adrenal hyperplasiaC Bizzarri
Unit of Endocrinology and Diabetes, Bambino Gesu Children s Hospital, IRCCS, P zza S Onofrio n 4, 00165, Rome, Italy
J Endocrinol Invest 32:903-7. 2009..The most effective approach to adjust treatment remains monitoring growth. Relying on hormonal markers to adequate steroid therapy may result in over-treatment, GH suppression, and finally poor linear growth...
- Clinical effects of early treatment with insulin glargine in patients with cystic fibrosis and impaired glucose toleranceC Bizzarri
Unit of Endocrinology, Department of Pediatric Medicine, Bambino Gesu Children s Hospital, IRCCS, 00100 Rome, Italy
J Endocrinol Invest 29:RC1-4. 2006..Larger controlled trials are necessary to verify if early insulin therapy is able to reduce the deterioration of nutritional status and lung function associated with the onset of IGT...
- Young elite athletes of different sport disciplines present with an increase in pulsatile secretion of growth hormone compared with non-elite athletes and sedentary subjectsG Ubertini
Endocrinology Unit, Children Hospital Bambino Gesù, IRCCS, Rome, Italy
J Endocrinol Invest 31:138-45. 2008..An increase in the knowledge of the effect of chronic training on GH secretion could improve the training programme to elicit the greatest exercise- induced GH response...
- Age at diagnosis of type 1 diabetes and the effect of immunomodulatory therapies on residual beta cell functionD Pitocco
Universit a Cattolica, Rome, Italy
Horm Metab Res 40:66-8. 2008
- No protective effect of calcitriol on beta-cell function in recent-onset type 1 diabetes: the IMDIAB XIII trialCarla Bizzarri
Department of Endocrinology and Diabetes, Bambino Gesu Children s Hospital, Rome, Italy
Diabetes Care 33:1962-3. 2010..We investigated whether supplementation of the active form of vitamin D (calcitriol) in recent-onset type 1 diabetes can protect beta-cell function evaluated by C-peptide and improve glycemic control assessed by A1C and insulin requirement...
- Computer use, free time activities and metabolic control in patients with type 1 diabetesD Benevento
University Campus Bio Medico, Rome, Italy
Diabetes Res Clin Pract 88:e32-4. 2010..Multiple linear regression showed that HbA1c% was not related to age, DM1 duration, TV watching or computer use but was independently and negatively related to the weekly hours spent on physical exercise...
- Basal insulin supplementation in Type 1 diabetic children: a long-term comparative observational study between continuous subcutaneous insulin infusion and glargine insulinR Schiaffini
Department of Pediatric Medicine Unit of Endocrinology and Diabetology, Bambino Gesu Children s Hospital, IRRCS, 00165 Rome, Italy
J Endocrinol Invest 30:572-7. 2007..Only with CSII were better HbA1c values obtained for prolonged periods of time, so that CSII might be considered the gold standard of intensive insulin therapy also for long-term follow-ups...
- Is subclinical adrenal failure in adrenoleukodystrophy/adrenomyeloneuropathy reversible?M Cappa
Endocrinology Unit, Bambino Gesu Children s Hospital, P zza S Onofrio 4 00165, Rome, Italy
J Endocrinol Invest 34:753-6. 2011..No previous study analyzed the effect of Lorenzo's oil therapy on adrenal function...
- Plasma levels of adrenomedullin in patients with adrenoleukodystrophy/adrenomyeloneuropathyC Letizia
Department of Clinical Science, University of Rome La Sapienza, 00165 Rome, Italy
Horm Res 63:90-4. 2005....
- Minimal incidence of neonatal/infancy onset diabetes in Italy is 1:90,000 live birthsD Iafusco
Department of Pediatrics, Second University of Naples, Italy
Acta Diabetol 49:405-8. 2012..Incidence of NDM was calculated at 1:90,000 (CI: 1:63,000-1:132,000) live births. Thus, with the definition currently in use, about 6 new cases with NDM are expected to be born in Italy each year...
- Bovine beta-casein antibodies in breast- and bottle-fed infants: their relevance in Type 1 diabetesL Monetini
University of Rome Tor Vergata, Rome, Italy
Diabetes Metab Res Rev 17:51-4. 2001..These findings may have relevance for disease prevention...
- Maintenance of a normal meal-induced decrease in plasma ghrelin levels in children with Prader-Willi syndromeC Bizzarri
Unità Operativa Complessa di Pediatria e Adolescentologia, Ospedale Bambino Gesu, IRCCS, Palidoro Roma, Italy
Horm Metab Res 36:164-9. 2004....
- Blue eyes as a risk factor for type 1 diabetesEnrico Di Stasio
Institute of Biochemistry and Clinical Biochemistry, Catholic University of Sacred Hearth, Rome, Italy
Diabetes Metab Res Rev 27:609-13. 2011..We determined whether iris colour and skin pigmentation are risk factors in a Caucasian population living in two Mediterranean regions located at the same latitude with higher ultraviolet B irradiance, but with different T1D incidence...
- Neuroregulation of growth hormone during exercise in childrenM Cappa
Auxology Unit, Bambino Gesu Children s Hospital, IRCCS, Palidoro, Italy
Int J Sports Med 21:S125-8. 2000..The shift to a modality of neural control of GH secretion peculiar of adults is likely due to neuroregulatory mechanisms which may be partly dependent on long-term variation in hormonal milieu...
- Voiding dysfunction in x-linked adrenoleukodystrophy: symptom score and urodynamic findingsM Silveri
Department of Pediatric Surgery, Bambino Gesu Children Hospital, Palidoro, Rome, Italy
J Urol 171:2651-3. 2004..We report to our knowledge the first series in the literature looking at the prevalent pattern...
- XK-aprosencephaly and related entitiesG Renzetti
Department of Pediatrics, University of L Aquila, L Aquila, Italy
Am J Med Genet A 138:401-10. 2005..No evidence of an encephaloclastic process was found in the autopsied Utah infant...
- The effects of calcitriol and nicotinamide on residual pancreatic beta-cell function in patients with recent-onset Type 1 diabetes (IMDIAB XI)D Pitocco
Universita Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Ospedale Pediatrico Bambino Gesu, Rome, Italy
Diabet Med 23:920-3. 2006..A number of recent studies underline the importance of vitamin D in the pathogenesis of Type 1 diabetes (T1D)...
- Permanent diabetes during the first year of life: multiple gene screening in 54 patientsL Russo
Laboratory of Mendelian Diabetes, Ospedale Pediatrico Bambino Gesu, IRCCS, Rome, Italy
Diabetologia 54:1693-701. 2011..The aim of this study was to investigate the genetic aetiology of permanent diabetes mellitus with onset in the first 12 months of age...
- Intradermal skin test with diabetes specific antigens in patients with type 1 diabetesA Crino
Università Campus Biomedico and Tor Vergata, Roma, Italy
Clin Exp Immunol 123:382-6. 2001..Further studies are required to determine specificity and whether altering the dose can improve the sensitivity of the test...
- A randomized trial of nicotinamide and vitamin E in children with recent onset type 1 diabetes (IMDIAB IX)A Crino
Ospedale Bambino Gesu, Piazza S Onofrio 4, 00163 Rome, Italy
Eur J Endocrinol 150:719-24. 2004....
- Metabolic factors affecting residual beta cell function assessed by C-peptide secretion in patients with newly diagnosed type 1 diabetesA Picardi
Department of Endocrinology and Diabetes, University Campus Bio Medico, Via E Longoni 83, 00155 Rome, Italy
Horm Metab Res 38:668-72. 2006..How metabolic parameters at diagnosis influence residual C-peptide secretion is not well established...
- Sulfonylurea treatment outweighs insulin therapy in short-term metabolic control of patients with permanent neonatal diabetes mellitus due to activating mutations of the KCNJ11 (KIR6.2) geneG Tonini
Diabetologia 49:2210-3. 2006