Affiliation: University of Haifa
- Motor and language abilities from early to late toddlerhood: Using formalized assessments to capture continuity and discontinuity in developmentAyelet Ben-Sasson
Department of Occupational Therapy, Faculty of Social Welfare and Health Sciences, University of Haifa, Mount Carmel, Haifa 31905, Israel Electronic address
Res Dev Disabil 35:1425-32. 2014..Developmental discontinuity in specific developmental areas was the rule rather than the exception. Interpretations of decreases in developmental levels must consider concurrent increases in skill during this emerging period. ..
- Feasibility and validity of early screening for identifying infants with poor social-communication development in a well-baby clinic systemAyelet Ben-Sasson
Department of Occupational Therapy, Faculty of Social Welfare and Health Sciences, University of Haifa, Haifa, Israel Electronic address
J Pediatr Nurs 29:238-47. 2014..This study examined the feasibility and validity of implementing an autism spectrum disorders (ASD) screening for 12-month-old infants...
- To enforce or not to enforce? The use of collaborative interfaces to promote social skills in children with high functioning autism spectrum disorderAyelet Ben-Sasson
Department of Occupational Therapy, University of Haifa, Mt Carmel, Haifa 31905, Israel
Autism 17:608-22. 2013..However, the increased challenge in this mode, particularly for children with lower social-communication skills, suggests the need for establishing selection criteria and mediation steps for such interventions...
- Early sensory over-responsivity in toddlers with autism spectrum disorders as a predictor of family impairment and parenting stressA Ben-Sasson
Department of Occupational Therapy, University of Haifa, Haifa, Israel
J Child Psychol Psychiatry 54:846-53. 2013..Sensory over-responsivity (SOR) affects many individuals with autism spectrum disorders (ASD), often leading to stressful encounters during daily routines...
- The application of the first year inventory for ASD screening in IsraelAyelet Ben-Sasson
Department of Occupational Therapy, Haifa University, Mt Carmel, 31905, Haifa, Israel
J Autism Dev Disord 42:1906-16. 2012..Infants in the risk group obtained significantly higher AOSI scores and lower MSEL scores. Socio-demographic factors may influence risk results suggesting the need to adapt screening to serve all...
- A meta-analysis of sensory modulation symptoms in individuals with autism spectrum disordersAyelet Ben-Sasson
Department of Occupational Therapy, Haifa University, Mt Carmel, Israel
J Autism Dev Disord 39:1-11. 2009..It is important to consider these moderators in the design of studies and interventions addressing sensory symptoms...
- Parents' search for evidence-based practice: a personal storyAyelet Ben-Sasson
Occupational Therapy Department, Faculty of Social Welfare and Health Sciences, Haifa University, Haifa, Israel
J Paediatr Child Health 47:415-8. 2011....
- The development of sensory over-responsivity from infancy to elementary schoolAyelet Ben-Sasson
Occupational Therapy Department and The Center for the Study of Child Development, Haifa University, Haifa, Israel
J Abnorm Child Psychol 38:1193-202. 2010..Both early sensory sensitivities and change in early sensitivities were associated with SOR status at school-age...
- Sensory over-responsivity in elementary school: prevalence and social-emotional correlatesA Ben-Sasson
Department of Psychology, University of Massachusetts Boston, 100 Morrissey Boulevard, Boston, MA 02125, USA
J Abnorm Child Psychol 37:705-16. 2009..Early identification of elevated SOR and assessment of concurrent social-emotional status are important to minimize their impact on social adaptive behaviors at school age...
- Sensory over-responsivity, psychopathology, and family impairment in school-aged childrenAlice S Carter
Department of Psychology, The University of Massachusetts Boston, 100 Morrissey Boulevard, Boston, MA 02125, USA
J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 50:1210-9. 2011..Although this was not a diagnostic study of SOR, this study was designed to investigate rates of elevated SOR symptoms and associations between elevated SOR symptoms, psychiatric disorder status, and family impairment...
- Anxiety and sensory over-responsivity in toddlers with autism spectrum disorders: bidirectional effects across timeShulamite A Green
Department of Psychology, University of California, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA, USA
J Autism Dev Disord 42:1112-9. 2012..Results suggest that SOR emerges earlier than anxiety, and predicts later development of anxiety...
- Anxiety disorders and sensory over-responsivity in children with autism spectrum disorders: is there a causal relationship?Shulamite A Green
Department of Psychology, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
J Autism Dev Disord 40:1495-504. 2010..In this paper, we examine support for each theory in the existing anxiety, autism, and neuroscience literature, and discuss how each theory informs choice of interventions and implications for future studies...