- Barium enema in frail elderly patientsR Segal
The Geriatric Medical Center, Shmuel Harofe, affiliated to the Sackler School of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Beer Yacov, Israel
Gerontology 46:78-82. 2000..Barium enema (BE) examinations for the investigation of suspected colonic disease are often unsuccessful in elderly patients...
- Progressing stroke with neurological deterioration in a group of Israeli elderlyEmily Lubart
Shmuel Harofeh Hospital, Geriatric Medical Center, POB 2, Be er Ya akov 70350, Israel
Arch Gerontol Geriatr 41:95-100. 2005..However, prior anti-aggregant treatment and PD, are here reported for the first time as associated conditions. Future research will possibly clarify the links between these entities and PSND...
- Geriatric medical education in IsraelArthur Leibovitz
Geriatric Long Term Care Department, Shmuel Harofeh Hospital, Geriatric Medical Center, Israel
Gerontol Geriatr Educ 25:33-42. 2004..The growing body of skills and knowledge available, and their application for competent care of the elderly, constitute a compelling impetus for the further development of a high-quality geriatric medical education...
- Medical staff attitudes: views and positions regarding blood transfusion to terminally ill cancer patientsArthur Leibovitz
Geriatrics, Shmuel Harofeh Hospital, Geriatric Medical Center, Be er Ya akov, Israel
Am J Clin Oncol 27:542-6. 2004..The agreed-on suggestions for transfusions in terminally ill cancer patients may serve as a reasonable physician standard for this complex clinical, medical-legal, and emotional issue...
- Management of adverse clinical events by duty physicians in a nursing homeArthur Leibovitz
Shmuel Harofeh Hospital, Geriatric Medical Center, Israel
Aging Clin Exp Res 16:314-8. 2004..The nature of adverse clinical events (ACE) during duty hours (16:00-08:00 and holidays), as well as the way they are addressed by duty physicians (DP) in a nursing home (NH) are the subject of this study...
- Edema of the paretic hand in elderly post-stroke nursing patientsArthur Leibovitz
Shmuel Ha Rofeh Hospital, Geriatric Medical Center, P O Box 2, 70350 Be er Ya akov, Israel
Arch Gerontol Geriatr 44:37-42. 2007..Edema of the paretic hand was detected in 37% of post-stroke patients. Most (about three-quarters), could be classified as simple PSHE, while the rest may have had reflex sympathetic dystrophy (RSD)...
- Effect of chromium supplementation on blood glucose and lipid levels in type 2 diabetes mellitus elderly patientsHaim Rabinovitz
Samuel Harofeh Hospital, Geriatric Medical Center, Affiliated to Sackler Faculty of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv
Int J Vitam Nutr Res 74:178-82. 2004..In addition, chromium intake appears to lower plasma lipid levels...
- Satisfaction with the care of institutionalized psychogeriatric patients, as reflected by a survey of their relativesEmily Lubart
Shmuel Harofe Hospital, Geriatric Medical Center, P O Box 2, 70350 Be er Ya acov, Israel
Arch Gerontol Geriatr 38:45-50. 2004..Moreover, both families and staff welcomed this study and mentioned its contribution in improving communication...
- Pseudomonas aeruginosa and the oropharyngeal ecosystem of tube-fed patientsArthur Leibovitz
Tel Aviv University, Israel
Emerg Infect Dis 9:956-9. 2003..aeruginosa organisms. The pulsed-field gel electrophoresis profile of these organisms was similar to that of P. aeruginosa isolates from the oropharynx. NGT-fed patients may serve as vectors of resistant P. aeruginosa strains...
- Geriatrics in the new millennium, IsraelBeni Habot
Shmuel Harofeh Hospital, Geriatric Medical Center, Beer Yaakov, and Geriatric Center, Rishon Lezion, Israel
Isr Med Assoc J 5:319-21. 2003..However, more resources should be allocated for research in order to maintain and to continue to develop geriatric medicine in Israel...
- Anemia, serum vitamin B12, and folic acid in patients with rheumatoid arthritis, psoriatic arthritis, and systemic lupus erythematosusRefael Segal
Department of Geriatrics, Shmuel Harofeh Geriatric Medical Center, Baer Yaakov, Israel
Rheumatol Int 24:14-9. 2004....
- Postmortem examinations in patients of a geriatric hospitalA Leibovitz
Geriatric Medical Center, Shmuel Harofe Hospital, Tel Aviv University, Israel
Aging (Milano) 13:406-9. 2001..Therefore, as the age of death rises, it is important to preserve and foster PMEs, the most reliable source of medical evidence...
- Age-associated neovasculopathy with recurrent bleedingA Leibovitz
Geriatric Medical Center, Shmuel Harofe Hospital, PO Box 2, Beer Yaakov, Israel
Med Hypotheses 57:616-8. 2001..Conditions like subdural hematoma, ocular angiopathies, intestinal angiodysplasia, coronary atherosclerotic plaques and others, may be the clinical expression of such a neovasculopathy...
- Plasma levels of amino acids in elderly long term care residents with oropharyngeal dysphagia: comparison of hand-oral with tube-enteral-fed patientsA Leibovitz
Shmuel Harofe Hospital, Geriatric Medical Center, Beer Yaakov, Israel
Amino Acids 29:263-6. 2005..The aim of this study is to evaluate the plasma amino acids levels in these hand-oral fed elderly patients with dysphagia...
- Mortality of patients hospitalized for active tuberculosis in IsraelEmily Lubart
Department of Respiratory Care, Shmuel Harofe Medical Center, Beer Yaakov, Israel
Isr Med Assoc J 9:870-3. 2007..Pulmonary tuberculosis continues to cause of mortality, particularly in developing countries. Despite modern anti-TB treatment, the elderly and immigrants from TB-endemic countries are at risk. Multidrug resistance has yet to be resolved....
- [Relatives' satisfaction with the care of elderly patients in skilled nursing wards]Emily Lubart
Shmuel Harofeh Hospital, Geriatric Medical Center, Be'er Ya'akov, Israel
Harefuah 143:573-5, 623, 622. 2004..Such surveys contribute to the quality of care and should be considered for routine/periodical use in long-term care settings...
- Gender-associated findings in postmortem examinations of elderly patients: an increased rate of pulmonary embolism in womenArthur Leibovitz
Geriatric Medical Center, Shmuel Harofeh Hospital, Beer Yaakov, Israel
Isr Med Assoc J 5:340-2. 2003..A thorough search of the medical literature revealed two previous studies with similar findings. Further research will determine whether pulmonary embolism is more frequent or whether it has a worse prognosis in frail elderly women...
- Metabolic alkalosis in skilled nursing patientsRefael Segal
Geriatric Medical Center, Shmuel Harofeh, Sackler Faculty of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Israel
Arch Gerontol Geriatr 48:173-7. 2009..This finding warrants the inclusion of routine pH determination in patients whenever pharmacokinetic considerations are essential...
- Postprandial hypotension in long-term care elderly patients on enteral feedingEmily Lubart
Shmuel Harofe Geriatric Medical Center, Beer-Yaakov; and Sackler Faculty of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, Israel
J Am Geriatr Soc 54:1377-81. 2006..All parameters were without notable intergroup differences. CONCLUSION: In enterally fed elderly patients (NGT or PEG), the rate and pattern of PPH are similar and not significantly different from that observed in OF patients...