Affiliation: The Hebrew University
- Subtle ethical dilemmas in geriatric management and clinical researchA J Rosin
Department of Geriatrics, Shaare Zedek Medical Center, Jerusalem, Israel
J Med Ethics 31:355-9. 2005..Because cognitive capacity is not always identical with competency, meaningful tools have recently been developed in which the emphasis is on the specific situation to be investigated...
- The potential influence of maternal stress hormones on development and mental health of the offspringMarta Weinstock
Department of Pharmacology, School of Pharmacy, Hebrew University Medical Centre Jerusalem, Israel
Brain Behav Immun 19:296-308. 2005..Excess amounts of CRH and cortisol reaching the human fetal brain during periods of chronic maternal stress could alter personality and predispose to attention deficits and depressive illness through changes in neurotransmitter activity...
- Dose-dependent effects of ladostigil on microglial activation and cognition in aged ratsMarta Weinstock
Department of Pharmacology, Institute of Drug Research, Hebrew University Medical Center, Ein Kerem, Jerusalem 91120, Israel
J Neuroimmune Pharmacol 8:345-55. 2013..5 mg/kg) worsened NOR at this age. However, at 20 months, when NOR was impaired and brain acetylcholine levels are 40 % below normal, ladostigil (8.5 mg/kg) reversed the memory deficit...
- Ladostigil prevents age-related glial activation and spatial memory deficits in ratsMarta Weinstock
Department of Pharmacology, School of Pharmacy, Hebrew University Medical Center, Ein Kerem, Jerusalem 91120, Israel
Neurobiol Aging 32:1069-78. 2011..Early treatment with ladostigil could slow disease progression in conditions like Alzheimer's disease in which oxidative stress and inflammatory processes are present...
- Maternal adrenal hormone secretion mediates behavioural alterations induced by prenatal stress in male and female ratsGal Zagron
Department of Pharmacology, School of Pharmacy, Hebrew University Medical Centre, Ein Kerem, Jerusalem 92110, Israel
Behav Brain Res 175:323-8. 2006..These data show that excess stress-induced COR can alter the programming of the foetal brain and predispose it to alterations in behaviour that are gender specific...
- Gender differences in the effects of prenatal stress on brain development and behaviourMarta Weinstock
Department of Pharmacology, Hebrew University Medical Centre, Ein Kerem, Jerusalem, 91120, Israel
Neurochem Res 32:1730-40. 2007..Genders may differ in the sensitivity of developing brain areas to stress hormones...
- Effect of varied gestational stress on acquisition of spatial memory, hippocampal LTP and synaptic proteins in juvenile male ratsRami Yaka
Department of Pharmacology, School of Pharmacy, Hebrew University Medical Centre Jerusalem, Israel
Behav Brain Res 179:126-32. 2007..The alteration by prenatal stress in the relative amounts of scaffolding proteins and those which compose glutamate receptors could explain the depression of LTP and impairment in the acquisition of spatial learning...
- Prenatal stress diminishes gender differences in behavior and in expression of hippocampal synaptic genes and proteins in ratsYa arit Nachum Biala
Department of Pharmacology, School of Pharmacy, Hebrew University, Jerusalem, Israel
Hippocampus 21:1114-25. 2011..The study provides an unbiased view of key genes and proteins that act as gender dependent molecular sensors. The disruption of their expression by adverse early life stress may explain the alterations that occur in behavior...
- Anti-inflammatory effects of ladostigil and its metabolites in aged rat brain and in microglial cellsRony Panarsky
Institute of Drug Research, Hebrew University Medical Center, Ein Kerem, Jerusalem, Israel
J Neuroimmune Pharmacol 7:488-98. 2012..We propose that the anti-inflammatory activity may contribute towards the neuroprotective action of ladostigil against the development of memory impairments induced by aging or toxin-induced microglial activation...
- Ladostigil prevents gliosis, oxidative-nitrative stress and memory deficits induced by intracerebroventricular injection of streptozotocin in ratsShai Shoham
Research Department, Herzog Hospital, Jerusalem, Israel
Neuropharmacology 52:836-43. 2007..Taken together the data support the role of glial activation and oxidative-nitrative stress in discrete brain areas in the aetiology of memory deficits and indicate a potential mechanism for their prevention by drug treatment...
- Effect of chronic treatment with ladostigil (TV-3326) on anxiogenic and depressive-like behaviour and on activity of the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis in male and female prenatally stressed ratsTatyana Poltyrev
Department of Pharmacology, Hebrew University Hadassah School of Medicine, Ein Kerem, Jerusalem 91120, Israel
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 181:118-25. 2005....
- Effect of TV3326, a novel monoamine-oxidase cholinesterase inhibitor, in rat models of anxiety and depressionMarta Weinstock
Department of Pharmacology, Hebrew University Faculty of Medicine, Jerusalem 91120, Israel
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 160:318-24. 2002....
- A novel cholinesterase and brain-selective monoamine oxidase inhibitor for the treatment of dementia comorbid with depression and Parkinson's diseaseMarta Weinstock
Department of Pharmacology, Hebrew University Hadassah School of Medicine, Ein Kerem, 91120, Jerusalem, Israel
Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry 27:555-61. 2003..These unique multiple actions of TV-3326 make it a potentially useful drug for the treatment of dementia with Parkinsonian-like symptoms and depression...
- The kinetics of inhibition of human acetylcholinesterase and butyrylcholinesterase by two series of novel carbamatesEfrat Groner
Department of Pharmacology, Hebrew University, Ein Kerem, Jerusalem 91120, Israel
Mol Pharmacol 71:1610-7. 2007..The data show how the degree of enzyme inhibition can be manipulated by structural changes in the N-methyl, N-alkyl carbamates and the corresponding leaving group to achieve therapeutic levels of brain AChE, BChE, and MAO-B inhibition...
- Rivastigmine alleviates experimentally induced colitis in mice and rats by acting at central and peripheral sites to modulate immune responsesHelena Shifrin
Department of Pharmacology, Institute of Drug Research, Hebrew University Medical Center, Jerusalem, Israel
PLoS ONE 8:e57668. 2013..These include ACh released from vagal nerve endings that activates alpha7 nicotinic receptors on circulating macrophages and in brainstem neurons...
- Suppression of neuroinflammation and immunomodulation by the acetylcholinesterase inhibitor rivastigmineEran Nizri
Laboratory of Neuroimmunology, Department of Neurology, Agnes Ginges Center for Human Neurogenetics, Jerusalem, Israel
J Neuroimmunol 203:12-22. 2008..These effects were abolished by alpha7 nicotinic acetylcholine receptor antagonists. Antigen presentation was also affected by this treatment. Thus, rivastigmine treatment had immunomodulatory activity in EAE...
- Intrauterine factors as determinants of depressive disorderMarta Weinstock
Department of Pharmacology, The Hebrew University Hadassah Medical Center, Jerusalem, Israel
Isr J Psychiatry Relat Sci 47:36-45. 2010..Clinical improvement of MDD by antidepressants is accompanied by normalization of the regulation of the HPA axis and of serotoninergic transmission...
- Dose-limiting inhibition of acetylcholinesterase by ladostigil results from the rapid formation and fast hydrolysis of the drug-enzyme complex formed by its major metabolite, R-MCPAIDorit Moradov
Institute of Drug Research, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Jerusalem, Israel
Biochem Pharmacol 94:164-72. 2015..Ladostigil (5 and 10mg/kg) also reduced TNF-α in the spleen after injection of lipopolysaccharide in mice. However, AChE inhibition contributed to the anti-inflammatory effect only at a dose of 10mg/kg...
- The long-term behavioural consequences of prenatal stressMarta Weinstock
Department of Pharmacology, Hebrew University, Medical Centre, Ein Kerem, Jerusalem 91120, Israel
Neurosci Biobehav Rev 32:1073-86. 2008..The dysregulation of the HPA axis and behaviour changes can be prevented by maternal adrenalectomy. However, only the increased anxiety and alterations in HPA axis are re-instated by maternal injection of corticosterone...
- Gender difference in the prevention of hyperanxiety in adult prenatally stressed rats by chronic treatment with amitriptylineTatyana Poltyrev
Department of Pharmacology, School of Pharmacy, Hebrew University Medical Centre, Ein Kerem, 91120 Jerusalem, Israel
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 171:270-6. 2004..The study determined whether oral administration of amitriptyline for 6 weeks from before puberty to prenatally stressed (PS) male and female rats could prevent hyperanxiety in adulthood...
- Sex dependent reduction by prenatal stress of the expression of 5HT1A receptors in the prefrontal cortex and CRF type 2 receptors in the raphe nucleus in rats: reversal by citalopramInbar Zohar
Department of Pharmacology, Institute of Drug Research, Hebrew University Medical Centre, Ein Kerem, Jerusalem, 91120, Israel
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 232:1643-53. 2015..Alterations in the serotonergic transmission and activity of corticotropin-releasing factor (CRF) family may underlie anxiety and depressive disorders. These could be corrected by treatment with SSRIs...
- Amyloid processing and signal transduction properties of antiparkinson-antialzheimer neuroprotective drugs rasagiline and TV3326Moussa B H Youdim
Department of Pharmacology, Technion Faculty of Medicine, Haifa, Israel
Ann N Y Acad Sci 993:378-86; discussion 387-93. 2003..These data suggest a novel pharmacological mechanism, whereby these ChE inhibitors regulate the secretary processes of APP via activation of the MAP kinase pathway...
- Therapeutic applications of selective and non-selective inhibitors of monoamine oxidase A and B that do not cause significant tyramine potentiationMoussa B H Youdim
Department of Pharmacology, Bruce Rappaport Faculty of Medicine Technion, Eve Topf and National Parkinson Foundation Centers of Excellence for Neurodegenerative Diseases Research, Efron St, PO Box 9697, Haifa 31096, Israel
Neurotoxicology 25:243-50. 2004..Pharmacologically it has limited tyramine potentiation, very similar to moclobemide and being a MAO-AB inhibitor it has the antidepressant, anti-Parkinson and anti-Alzheimer activities in the respective models used to develop such drugs...
- Novel dual inhibitors of AChE and MAO derived from hydroxy aminoindan and phenethylamine as potential treatment for Alzheimer's diseaseJeffrey Sterling
Research and Development Division, Teva Pharmaceutical Industries, ABIC, P O Box 8077, Netanya 42504, Israel
J Med Chem 45:5260-79. 2002..Thus, the apparent enzyme inhibition will be a result of the combined inhibition of all of these individual metabolites. The results of our ongoing in vivo screening programs will be published elsewhere...
- Anti-apoptotic action of anti-Alzheimer drug, TV3326 [(N-propargyl)-(3R)-aminoindan-5-yl]-ethyl methyl carbamate, a novel cholinesterase-monoamine oxidase inhibitorWakako Maruyama
Laboratory of Biochemistry and Metabolism, Department of Basic Gerontology, National Institute for Longevity Sciences, Obu, Aichi, Japan
Neurosci Lett 341:233-6. 2003..This resulted in stabilization of the mitochondrial membrane potential, the collapse of which initiates the apoptotic cascade...
- Involvement of MAP kinase in the regulation of amyloid precursor protein processing by novel cholinesterase inhibitors derived from rasagilineMerav Yogev-Falach
Technion Faculty of Medicine, Eve Topf and NPF Centers for Neurodegenerative Diseases Department of Pharmacology Haifa, Israel
FASEB J 16:1674-6. 2002..These data suggest a novel pharmacological mechanism whereby these ChE inhibitors regulate the secretory processes of APP via activation of the MAP kinase pathway...
- Novel neuroprotective anti-Alzheimer drugs with anti-depressant activity derived from the anti-Parkinson drug, rasagilineMoussa B H Youdim
Technion Faculty of Medicine, Eve Topf and NPF Centers, 31096, Haifa, Israel
Mech Ageing Dev 123:1081-6. 2002..Thus MAO inhibition by propargylamines is not a pre-requisite for neuroprotection. Rather, propargylamines have some intrinsic neuroprotective property whose mechanism of action requires further elucidation...
- Changes of spine density and dendritic complexity in the prefrontal cortex in offspring of mothers exposed to stress during pregnancyMeena Sriti Murmu
Institute of Biology, Department of Zoology and Developmental Neurobiology, Otto von Guericke University, Brenneckestr 6, 39118 Magdeburg Germany
Eur J Neurosci 24:1477-87. 2006..These findings demonstrate that gestational stress leads to significant alterations of prefrontal neuronal structure in the offspring of the stressed mothers in a sex-specific manner...
- Attenuation of MPTP-induced dopaminergic neurotoxicity by TV3326, a cholinesterase-monoamine oxidase inhibitorYotam Sagi
Eve Topf and USA National Parkinson Foundation, Centers of Excellence for Neurodegenerative Diseases Research, Technion Faculty of Medicine, Haifa, Israel
J Neurochem 86:290-7. 2003..This may explain its antidepressant-like activity, resembling that of moclobemide in the forced-swim test in rats...