Genomes and Genes
Tel Aviv University
Organization: Tel Aviv University
- No childhood advantage in the acquisition of skill in using an artificial language ruleSara Ferman
Department of Communication Disorders, Sackler Faculty of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, Israel
PLoS ONE 5:e13648. 2010..Altogether, the maturational effects in the acquisition of an implicit AMR do not support a simple notion of a language skill learning advantage in children...
- The changing features of the body-mind problemJoseph Agassi
Department of Philosophy, Tel Aviv University, Faculty of Arts, Ramat Aviv, Tel Aviv 69967, Israel
J Physiol Paris 101:153-60. 2007..Laske, O., 1992. A conversation with Marvin Minsky. AI Magazine 13 (3), 31-45]...
- Primary myogenic cells see the light: improved survival of transplanted myogenic cells following low energy laser irradiationGabi Shefer
Department of Cell and Development Biology, Sackler Faculty of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv 69978, Israel
Lasers Surg Med 40:38-45. 2008..This study aims at following the effects of low-energy-laser irradiation on the fate of implanted myoblasts...
- FEMS - Federation of European Microbiological Societies: past, present and futureEliora Z Ron
Department of Molecular Microbiology and Biotechnology, Faculty of Life Sciences, Tel-Aviv University, Ramat-Aviv 69978, Israel
Res Microbiol 159:49-50. 2008
- Paclitaxel-eluting composite fibers: drug release and tensile mechanical propertiesMeital Zilberman
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv 69978, Israel
J Biomed Mater Res A 84:313-23. 2008..We demonstrated that proper selection of processing conditions based on kinetic and thermodynamic considerations can yield polymer/drug systems with the desired drug release behavior and good mechanical properties...
- Comparative skeletal features between Homo floresiensis and patients with primary growth hormone insensitivity (Laron Syndrome)Israel Hershkovitz
Department of Anatomy and Anthropology, Sackler Faculty of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv 69978, Israel
Am J Phys Anthropol 134:198-208. 2007....
- Identification of functional modules using network topology and high-throughput dataIgor Ulitsky
School of Computer Science, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv 69978, Israel
BMC Syst Biol 1:8. 2007....
- Bax deficiency reduces infarct size and improves long-term function after myocardial infarctionE Hochhauser
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Felsenstein Medical Research Center, Rabin Medical Center, Petah Tikva, Israel
Cell Biochem Biophys 47:11-20. 2007..The Bax gene appears to play a significant role in the post-MI response that should be further investigated...
- Comparative morphology and cytology of the male sperm-transmission organs in viviparous species of clinid fishes (Clinidae: Teleostei, Perciformes)Lev Fishelson
Department of Zoology, George S Wise Faculty of Life Sciences, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, Israel
J Morphol 267:1406-14. 2006..Papillae bearing taste buds are found on the apical parts of the intromittent organ, and it is probable that these, together with the difference in forms of the organ, help to prevent interspecific copulation...
- Congenital anomalies of the spleenG Gayer
Department of Diagnostic Imaging, Assaf Harofeh Medical Center, Zrifin, Israel
Semin Ultrasound CT MR 27:358-69. 2006..In this review we illustrate the spectrum of congenital anomalies of the spleen and stress pitfalls and possible complications resulting from these anomalies...
- Neural correlates of semantic and morphological processing of Hebrew nouns and verbsDafna Palti
Department of Psychology, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, Israel
Hum Brain Mapp 28:303-14. 2007..The discrepancy between functional imaging and patient data is also discussed...
- The health beliefs of hospital staff and the reporting of needlestick injuryNili Tabak
Department of Nursing, School of Health Professions, Faculty of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, Israel
J Clin Nurs 15:1228-39. 2006..The aim of this study is to examine the connection between the health beliefs of hospital staff (doctors, nurses and auxiliary staff) and their failure to report needlestick injuries...
- UVB in the management of early stage mycosis fungoidesF Pavlotsky
Phototherapy Unit, Department of Dermatology, Sheba Medical Center, Tel Hashomer, Israel
J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol 20:565-72. 2006..Several options for treatment of early mycosis fungoides (MF) offer similar success rates. Previous small studies have shown UVB to be at least as effective as PUVA...
- Mechanics of respiratory muscles in single-lung transplant recipientsAnat Ratnovsky
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, Israel
Respiration 73:642-50. 2006..After single-lung transplantation, muscle function is restored on the side of the transplant but it may be asymmetric to that on the side of the native diseased lung...
- [Hospitalizations associated with rotavirus gastroenteritis in Israel--a retrospective study]Galia Grisaru-Soen
Department of Pediatrics at Dana Children s Hospital, Sourasky Medical Center, Tel Aviv, Israel
Harefuah 147:8-11, 96. 2008..The study aimed to assess the hospitalizations due to rotavirus gastroenteritis in Israel and their characteristics...
- The spatial characteristics of the painful thermal grill illusionRuth Defrin
Department of Physical Therapy, Sackler Faculty of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, Israel
Pain 138:577-86. 2008..Possibly, non-nociceptive channels integrate onto 2nd or 3rd order nociceptive neurons which in turn induce a unique painful burning resulting from the blend of cold and warm sensations...
- Intertrial target-feature changes do not lead to more distraction by singletons: target uncertainty doesDominique Lamy
Department of Psychology, Tel Aviv University, Ramat Aviv, POB 39040, Tel Aviv 69978, Israel
Vision Res 48:1274-9. 2008..In addition, the present results challenge the ambiguity hypothesis of intertrial priming, according to which increased competition for attentional selection boosts inter-trial priming effects...
- Efficient genome-scale phylogenetic analysis under the duplication-loss and deep coalescence cost modelsMukul S Bansal
School of Computer Science, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv 69978, Israel
BMC Bioinformatics 11:S42. 2010..However, the only existing algorithms for gene tree parsimony under the duplication-loss or deep coalescence reconciliation cost are prohibitively slow for large datasets...
- Noise stresses the junctions to deafKaren B Avraham
Department of Human Molecular Genetics and Biochemistry, Sackler School of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, Israel
EMBO Mol Med 1:85-7. 2009..All are in abundance and although they are tantalizing to all your senses, your sense of hearing picks up what you cannot see with your eyes or feel with your hands...
- Trends in dermatology publications over the past 15 yearsDaniel Mimouni
Department of Dermatology, Rabin Medical Center, Beilinson Campus, Petach Tikva, Israel
Am J Clin Dermatol 11:55-8. 2010..There is a continually increasing amount of medical literature, which makes the challenge of keeping up to date in the field of dermatology increasingly difficult...
- Bio-degradation of a resorbable collagen membrane (Bio-Gide) applied in a double-layer technique in ratsAvital Kozlovsky
Department of Periodontology, The Maurice and Gabriela Goldschleger School of Dental Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, Israel
Clin Oral Implants Res 20:1116-23. 2009..The aim of this study was to evaluate histologically the bio-degradation of two layers of Bio-Gide((R)) (BG) membrane, as compared with that of a single layer...
- An fMRI study of syntactic layers: sentential and lexical aspects of embeddingEinat Shetreet
Department of Psychology, Tel Aviv University, Ramat Aviv, Israel
Neuroimage 48:707-16. 2009....
- Nonspecific esophageal motility disorders may be an early stage of a specific disorder, particularly achalasiaT Naftali
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Meir Medical Center, Kfar Saba, Israel
Dis Esophagus 22:611-5. 2009..NEMD is generally a benign disorder that improves clinically in most cases. Nevertheless, in about 6% of patients, NEMD may evolve into achalasia...
- NAP and D-SAL: neuroprotection against the beta amyloid peptide (1-42)Illana Gozes
Department of Human Molecular Genetic and Biochemistry, Sackler School of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Einstein Street, Tel Aviv 69978, Israel
BMC Neurosci 9:S3. 2008..The beta amyloid peptide interacts with microtubules, and previous studies have demonstrated protection against beta amyloid (25-35) toxicity by NAP and ADNF-9. NAP also inhibits beta amyloid (25-35 and 1-40) aggregation...
- Enhanced attachment of Porphyromonas gingivalis to human fibroblasts mediated by Fusobacterium nucleatumZvi Metzger
Department of Endodontology, Maurice and Gabriela Goldschleger School of Dental Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, Israel
J Endod 35:82-5. 2009..gingivalis to the host cells. This might explain in part the common co-occurrence of F. nucleatum and P. gingivalis in endodontic mixed infections...
- Dental knowledge regarding preventive measures of young adultsLiran Levin
Department of Oral Rehabilitation, The Maurice and Gabriela Goldschleger School of Dental Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, Israel
N Y State Dent J 74:60-4. 2008..Participants who were treated irregularly by GPs reported receiving significantly less instruction and explanations about toothbrushing, mouthrinses, dental flossing and carbohydrate consumption...
- Fluctuation of latent inhibition along the estrous cycle in the rat: modeling the cyclicity of symptoms in schizophrenic women?Michal Arad
Department of Psychology, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv 69978, Israel
Psychoneuroendocrinology 33:1401-10. 2008..The latter constellation may mimic states of increased vulnerability to psychosis coupled with reduced treatment response documented in schizophrenic women during periods associated with low levels of hormones...
- Interval double transfer improves treatment success in patients with repeated IVF/ET failuresB Almog
Sarah Racine IVF Unit, Lis Maternity Hospital, Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center, Tel Aviv, Israel
J Assist Reprod Genet 25:353-7. 2008..To examine whether double transfer of embryos on day 2-3 and on day 5 after ovum pick-up (OPU) improves IVF/ET success rates in patients with multiple consecutive IVF failures..
- A comparison of the effects of directive visuomotor intervention versus nondirective supportive intervention in kindergarten and elementary school childrenOrit Lahav
Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, Israel
J Neural Transm 115:1231-9. 2008..This study, conducted in a socioeconomically disadvantaged population, suggests that kindergarten children with poor VMI might benefit from the positive and meaningful relationships inherent in NDSI...
- Sample size for positive and negative predictive value in diagnostic research using case-control designsDavid M Steinberg
Department of Statistics and Operations Research, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv 69978, Israel
Biostatistics 10:94-105. 2009..Surprisingly, the optimal sampling schemes for many purposes are highly unbalanced, even when information is desired on both PPV and NPV...
- Letter form as a constraint for errors in neglect dyslexia and letter position dyslexiaNaama Friedmann
Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, Israel
Behav Neurol 16:145-58. 2005..These data show that early visuo-orthographic analysis is sensitive to final letter form and that final letter form constrains errors in peripheral dyslexia...
- Rifampin augments cytokine-induced nitric oxide production in human alveolar epithelial cellsYael Yuhas
Laboratory of Infectious Diseases, Felsenstein Medical Research Center, Beilinson Campus, Petah Tikva 49100, Israel
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 50:396-8. 2006..2, 4.5, and 8.8 microM, respectively (P < 0.02 versus cytokines alone). This indicates that rifampin modulates the immune response...
- Urogenital abnormalities in male children with cystic fibrosisH Blau
Pulmonary Unit and Kathy and Lee Graub Cystic Fibrosis Center, Schneider Children s Medical Center of Israel, Petah Tikva, Sackler School of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, Israel
Arch Dis Child 87:135-8. 2002..Congenital bilateral absence of the vas deferens (CBAVD) is presumed to occur prenatally and is present in over 99% of adult males with cystic fibrosis (CF)...
- Effect of wash bulk on the accuracy of polyvinyl siloxane putty-wash impressionsJ Nissan
Department of Prosthodontics, The Maurice and Gabriela Goldschleger School of Dental Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, Israel
J Oral Rehabil 29:357-61. 2002..This can be achieved by using the temporary crown to create the desired wash space in the preliminary putty impression. Wash thickness > 2 mm was inadequate to obtain accurate stone dies...
- Pseudohypoparathyroidism: a multitude of mutations in the stimulatory G protein alpha subunit (Gsalpha)Zvi Farfel
Department of Medicine E, Sheba Medical Center, Tel Aviv University, Tel Hashomer, Israel
J Pediatr Endocrinol Metab 15:255-7. 2002
- Pitch discrimination: are professional musicians better than non-musicians?L Kishon-Rabin
Department of Communication Disorders, Sackler Faculty of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Israel
J Basic Clin Physiol Pharmacol 12:125-43. 2001..These data highlight the importance of short-term training on an auditory task, auditory memory and factors related to musical background (such as musical genre and years of experience) on auditory performance...
- Global warming and body mass decline in Israeli passerine birdsY Yom-Tov
Department of Zoology, Tel Aviv University, Israel
Proc Biol Sci 268:947-52. 2001..These declines may have serious implications for community structure and competition among bird species and may affect the survival of small passerines...
- Stress distribution around maxillary implants in anatomic photoelastic models of varying geometry. Part IM D Gross
The Maurice and Gabriela Goldschleger School of Dental Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, Israel
J Prosthet Dent 85:442-9. 2001..It is unclear which implant inclination and position are most favorable in relation to the supporting anatomy and loading direction in the maxilla...
- Bcg and autoimmunity: another two-edged swordY Shoenfeld
Department of Internal Medicine B and C and the Research Center for Autoimmune Diseases, Sheba Medical Center, Tel Hashomer, Israel
J Autoimmun 16:235-40. 2001..One of these patients developed Reiter's syndrome. We also refer to the possible immune mechanisms by which BCG can trigger arthritis, as well as to the link between mycobacterial infection, BCG immunotherapy and autoimmunity...
- The Hebrew vowel system: raw and normalized acoustic dataT Most
School of Education, Tel Aviv University, Ramat Aviv 69978, Tel Aviv P O B 39040, Israel
Lang Speech 43:295-308. 2000..Applying the bark transformation as speaker normalization procedure succeeded in reducing speaker differences while increasing vowel differences...
- A novel VIP responsive gene. Activity dependent neuroprotective proteinI Gozes
Department of Clinical Biochemistry, Sackler Faculty of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv 69978, Israel
Ann N Y Acad Sci 921:115-8. 2000..We suggest that ADNP may be part of the VIP protection pathway through the femtomolar-acting NAP and through putative interaction with other macromolecules...
- Developmental changes within the core of artifact conceptsA Matan
Department of Brain and Cognitive Sciences, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, MA, Cambridge, USA
Cognition 78:1-26. 2001..The data are discussed as they bear on children's understanding of the design stance (Dennett, D. C. (1987)...
- Does immune serum globulin confer protection against skin diseases?D Mimouni
Medical Corps, Israel Defense Force, Rabin Medical Center, Petah Tiqva, Sackler Faculty of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, and Hadassah Medical School, Jerusalem, Israel
Int J Dermatol 39:628-31. 2000..Following a case of serologically proven hepatitis A in a food-handling worker serving several military bases in the same vicinity, the entire military population was vaccinated with immune serum globulin (ISG)...
- Locus of control and the spontaneous use of mnemonic strategies in a motor memory taskS Yalon-Chamovitz
Department of Occupational Therapy, Sackler School of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Israel
Res Dev Disabil 21:1-12. 2000..No effect was found for the locus of control variable. A longer "warm up decrement" in this population is suggested...
- Acquisition of derived nominals in Hebrew: developmental and linguistic principlesD Ravid
Unit for Human Development and Education, School of Education, Tel Aviv University, Israel
J Child Lang 25:229-66. 1998..We consider the strategies employed in the course of acquisition of HDNs and offer an explanation for this late acquisition which requires a vast amount of prior integrated knowledge...
- Abutment positioning in a cantilevered shortened dental arch: a clinical report and static analysisIsrael Lewinstein
The Maurice and Gabriela Goldschleger School of Dental Medicine, Department of Rehabilitation, Tel Aviv University, Israel
J Prosthet Dent 89:227-31. 2003..The mechanical advantage of the enlarged span in a cantilever fixed partial denture is analyzed, discussed, and demonstrated by 2-dimensional static analysis...
- Sonographic evaluation of brachial plexus pathologyMoshe Graif
Department of Radiology, Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center and the Sackler Faculty of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, 6 Weizmann Street, 64239 Tel Aviv, Israel
Eur Radiol 14:193-200. 2004....
- Reprogramming cells for transplantationJonathan Leor
Neufeld Cardiac Research Institute, Sheba Medical Center, Tel Hashomer, Israel
Heart Fail Rev 8:285-92. 2003....
- Revealing the structure and dynamics of cis-regulation using heterogeneous, genome-wide, multi-species dataRon Shamir
School of Computer Science, Tel Aviv University, Israel
Genome Inform 15:300-1. 2004
- Red cell membrane omega-3 fatty acids are decreased in nondepressed patients with social anxiety disorderPnina Green
Laboratory for the Study of Fatty Acids, Felsenstein Medical Research Center, Beilinson Campus, Petah Tiqwa, Israel
Eur Neuropsychopharmacol 16:107-13. 2006..The robust relationship between low erythrocyte n-3 PUFA concentrations and SAD justifies exploration of relevant neuropathophysiological mechanisms...
- White matter changes in multiple sclerosis: correlation of q-space diffusion MRI and 1H MRSYaniv Assaf
Functional Brain Imaging Laboratory, Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center, Tel Aviv 64239, Israel
Magn Reson Imaging 23:703-10. 2005..More specifically, we aimed at evaluating the ability of this methodology to identify tissue damage in the so-called normal-appearing white matter (NAWM)...
- Human umbilical cord blood-derived CD133+ cells enhance function and repair of the infarcted myocardiumJonathan Leor
Neufeld Cardiac Research Institute, Sheba Medical Center, Tel Aviv University, Tel Hashomer, Israel
Stem Cells 24:772-80. 2006..In conclusion, the present work suggests that, after MI, intravenous delivery of human UCB-derived CD133+ cells can produce functional recovery by preventing scar thinning and LV systolic dilatation...
- Cognitive functions in severe congestive heart failure before and after an exercise training programDavid Tanne
Department of Neurology and Neuro Vascular Laboratory, Sheba Medical Center, Israel
Int J Cardiol 103:145-9. 2005..We assessed, in a hypothesis-generating study, the effect of an exercise training program on cognitive functions among patients with severe congestive heart failure...
- Life-threatening airway obstruction secondary to mass in children-a preventable event?Josef Ben-Ari
Pediatric Intensive Care Unit, Schneider Children s Medical Center of Israel, Petah Tiqva and Sackler Faculty of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, Israel
Pediatr Emerg Care 21:427-30. 2005..To investigate the management of children with life-threatening airway obstruction from large mediastinal masses...
- Laser induces apoptosis and ceramide production in human retinal pigment epithelial cellsAdiel Barak
Department of Ophthalmology, University of California, Davis, CA, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 46:2587-91. 2005..To investigate the cellular mechanisms involved in the cell death of human retinal pigment epithelial (hRPE) cells after their exposure to laser injury...
- Cognitive-behavioral treatment for childhood sleep disordersAvi Sadeh
Department of Psychology, Tel Aviv University, Ramat Aviv, Tel Aviv 69978, Israel
Clin Psychol Rev 25:612-28. 2005..e., professional consultation versus written information) in treatment efficacy; and (e) the need to expand the research on clinical interventions for the parasomnias...
- Body fat distribution and long-term risk of stroke mortalityDavid Tanne
Department of Epidemiology and Preventive Medicine, Sackler School of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Israel
Stroke 36:1021-5. 2005..We examined in a large prospective cohort study the association between body fat distribution and stroke mortality among middle-aged men...
- Effects of stress on sleep: the moderating role of coping styleAvi Sadeh
Department of Psychology, Tel Aviv Univerity, Ramat Aviv, Israel
Health Psychol 23:542-5. 2004..These results suggest that coping style is a key factor in assessing the relationship between stress and sleep...
- In-nest environment modulates nestmate recognition in the ant Camponotus fellahTamar Katzav-Gozansky
Department of Zoology, George S Wise Faculty of Life Sciences, Tel Aviv University, Ramat Aviv, Tel Aviv, Israel
Naturwissenschaften 91:186-90. 2004..Nest environment thus appears to affect label-template mismatch by modulating aggressive behavior, as well as the direction at which cuticular HCs diverged during the separation period...
- Substantial genetic effects involved in determination of circulating levels of calciotropic hormones in human pedigreesGregory Livshits
Human Population Biology Research Unit, Department of Anatomy and Anthropology, Sackler Faculty of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Ramat Aviv, 69978 Israel
Biochem Genet 41:269-89. 2003..The corresponding genetic correlations were -0.461 +/- 0.153 and -0.223 +/- 0.113, respectively. Circulating levels of 25(OH)D showed neither phenotypic nor genetic correlation with any of the BMD or CI variation...
- Mapping of a new locus for autosomal recessive non-syndromic mental retardation in the chromosomal region 19p13.12-p13.2: further genetic heterogeneityL Basel-Vanagaite
Department of Medical Genetics, Rabin Medical Center, Beilinson Campus, Petah Tikva, Israel
J Med Genet 40:729-32. 2003..To identify and clinically evaluate four consanguineous families of Israeli Arab origin with non-syndromic mental retardation (NSMR), comprising a total of 10 affected and 24 unaffected individuals...
- Dynamic perspectives of paradoxical interventionA Avni
Program of Psychotherapy, Tel Aviv University, Ramat Aviv, Israel
Isr J Psychiatry Relat Sci 35:38-47. 1998..In that sense the paradoxical intervention assists in achieving both the experience of separateness and the ability to use symbolization. Parallel processes are described in the therapist's countertransference...
- Psychoneuroimmunology-Immunotherapy interactionsShamgar Ben Eliyahu; Fiscal Year: 2007..The knowledge gained could reduce side effects and enhance the efficacy of immunotherapy before and after surgery, potentially increasing survival rates in cancer patients. ..
- Psychoneuroimmunology-Immunotherapy interactionsShamgar Ben Eliyahu; Fiscal Year: 2010..The knowledge gained could reduce side effects and enhance the efficacy of immunotherapy before and after surgery, potentially increasing survival rates in cancer patients. ..
- G-protein alpha subunits in regulation of GIRK channelsNathan Dascal; Fiscal Year: 2006..Colocalization and complex formation between Galpha and GIRK will be explored in atrium and brain using biochemical and immunohistochemical methods. ..
- ATAXIA-TELANGIECTASIS: FROM GENE BACK TO PHENOTYPEYosef Shiloh; Fiscal Year: 2005..Since Ataxia-telangiectasia is a multisystem disease, understanding its physiological basis is expected to have broad ramifications in various areas of medicine. ..
- Synthetic lethality based assay for HTS drug discoveryDan Canaani; Fiscal Year: 2006..Moreover, it should enable the implementation of the multigene shRNA expression libraries to this system, leading to the identification of gene targets synthetic lethal with ERa-deficiency in breast carcinomas. ..
- Neuroprotection by glutamine synthetaseLily Vardimon; Fiscal Year: 2004..They are expected to contribute to the basic understanding of the mechanisms that underlie neuronal degeneration and to open new avenues for therapy. ..
- Synthetic Lethal Screens in an Ovarian Cancer ModelDan Canaani; Fiscal Year: 2003..I successful, it would allow the search of new drugs for ovarian malignancy, aimed at noel target/s whose specificity is insured by its/their synthetic lethality with a mutated tumor suppressor gene of interest. ..
- ATAXIA TELANGIECTASIA--FROM GENE BACK TO PHENOTYPEYosef Shiloh; Fiscal Year: 1999....