Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: Technion-Israel Institute of Technology
- Fuhrman B. The urokinase system in the pathogenesis of atherosclerosis. Atherosclerosis. 2012;222:8-14 pubmed publisher..An imbalance in the uPA/uPAR system leads to dis-orders in tissue structure and function. This review summarizes recent progress in understanding the role and mechanisms of the uPA/uPAR system in atherogenesis. ..
- Paland N, Gamliel Lazarovich A, Coleman R, Fuhrman B. Urokinase-type plasminogen activator (uPA) stimulates triglyceride synthesis in Huh7 hepatoma cells via p38-dependent upregulation of DGAT2. Atherosclerosis. 2014;237:200-7 pubmed publisher..This study presents a new biological function of the uPA/uPAR system in the metabolism of triglycerides and might present a new target for an early therapeutic intervention for NAFLD. ..
- Fuhrman B, Volkova N, Aviram M. Pomegranate juice polyphenols increase recombinant paraoxonase-1 binding to high-density lipoprotein: studies in vitro and in diabetic patients. Nutrition. 2010;26:359-66 pubmed publisher..We conclude that 1) oxidative stress impairs binding of fluorescein isothiocyanate-labeled rePON1 to HDL and 2) PJ polyphenols directly increase the HDL-rePON1 association beyond their antioxidative effect. ..
- Fuhrman B, Volkova N, Coleman R, Aviram M. Grape powder polyphenols attenuate atherosclerosis development in apolipoprotein E deficient (E0) mice and reduce macrophage atherogenicity. J Nutr. 2005;135:722-8 pubmed..Both of these processes can eventually reduce macrophage cholesterol accumulation and foam cell formation and hence attenuate atherosclerosis development. ..
- Fuhrman B, Partoush A, Volkova N, Aviram M. Ox-LDL induces monocyte-to-macrophage differentiation in vivo: Possible role for the macrophage colony stimulating factor receptor (M-CSF-R). Atherosclerosis. 2008;196:598-607 pubmed..We thus conclude that Ox-LDL induces monocyte differentiation to macrophages in vivo and this phenomenon involves activation of the M-CSF-receptor. ..
- Fuhrman B, Nitzan O, Karry R, Volkova N, Dumler I, Aviram M. Urokinase plasminogen activator (uPA) stimulates cholesterol biosynthesis in macrophages through activation of SREBP-1 in a PI3-kinase and MEK-dependent manner. Atherosclerosis. 2007;195:e108-16 pubmed..These findings provide new insight into the atherogenicity of uPA and may suggest new novel therapeutic means. ..
- Fuhrman B, Khateeb J, Shiner M, Nitzan O, Karry R, Volkova N, et al. Urokinase plasminogen activator upregulates paraoxonase 2 expression in macrophages via an NADPH oxidase-dependent mechanism. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2008;28:1361-7 pubmed publisher..Upregulation of macrophage PON2 may provide a compensatory protective mechanism against uPA-stimulation of macrophage oxidative stress during atherogenesis. ..
- Fuhrman B, Gantman A, Aviram M. Paraoxonase 1 (PON1) deficiency in mice is associated with reduced expression of macrophage SR-BI and consequently the loss of HDL cytoprotection against apoptosis. Atherosclerosis. 2010;211:61-8 pubmed publisher..These findings add new insights into the function of SR-BI in macrophages, and define the potential role of PON1 in regulating SR-BI-mediated HDL protection against macrophages apoptosis. ..
- Fuhrman B, Gantman A, Khateeb J, Volkova N, Horke S, Kiyan J, et al. Urokinase activates macrophage PON2 gene transcription via the PI3K/ROS/MEK/SREBP-2 signalling cascade mediated by the PDGFR-beta. Cardiovasc Res. 2009;84:145-54 pubmed publisher....