- Natural beta-carotene for the prevention of post-ERCP pancreatitisA Lavy
Gastroenterology Unit, Bnai Zion Medical Center, Haifa, Israel
Pancreas 29:e45-50. 2004..Endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP) is a commonly used procedure. Pancreatitis is its most common complication. As the injury may be mediated by oxidative stress, it could be ameliorated by antioxidants...
- The antioxidative effect of the bacteria Dienococcus radiophilus against LDL lipid peroxidationA Lavy
The Lipid Research Laboratory, Technion Faculty of Medicine The Rappaport Family Institute for Research in the Medical Sciences, and Gastroenterology Bnai Zion Medical Center, Haifa, Israel
Eur J Nutr 44:281-4. 2005..Lipid peroxidation is an important process in the development of atherosclerosis. Thus agents with antioxidant properties may play an important role in the inhibition of atherosclerosis...
- Measles is more prevalent in Crohn's disease patients. A multicentre Israeli studyA Lavy
Department of Gastroenterology, Asaf Center, Isreal
Dig Liver Dis 33:472-6. 2001..These data lead us to postulate that there may be a role for measles infection in Crohn's disease, even if, at present, this role remains unclear...
- Octreotide for enterocutaneous fistulas of Crohn's diseaseA Lavy
Bnai Zion Medical Centre, Haifa, Israel
Can J Gastroenterol 17:555-8. 2003..Somatostatin is an inhibitor of intestinal secretion and has been used to treat pancreatic and surgical fistulas. Therefore, we decided to treat enterocutaneous fistulas using somatostatin...
- Appendectomy is more frequent but not a risk factor in Crohn's disease while being protective in ulcerative colitis: a comparison of surgical procedures in inflammatory bowel diseaseS Reif
Department of Gastroenterology, Tel-Aviv Sourasky Medical Center, Israel
Am J Gastroenterol 96:829-32. 2001..CONCLUSIONS: Appendectomy is protective in UC; it is more frequent, but not a risk factor in CD. The role of cholecystectomy should be investigated further...
- Outcome and early complications of ERCP: a prospective single center studyA Suissa
Department of Gastroenterology, Rambam Medical Center, Haifa, Israel
Hepatogastroenterology 52:352-5. 2005..The aim of the study was to prospectively evaluate the early outcome of ERCP when used essentially as a therapeutic tool...
- Failure of cefonicid prophylaxis for infectious complications related to endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatographyR Finkelstein
Department of Internal Medicine, Rambam Medical Center, Faculty of Medicine, Technion Israel Institute of Technology, Haifa, Israel
Clin Infect Dis 23:378-9. 1996..5% among controls, P = .12). Therefore, infectious complications could not be prevented by cefonicid prophylaxis...
- Linear EUS for bile duct stonesJ Lachter
Western Galilee and Rambam Medical Centers, Technion Israel Institute of Technology, Nahariya and Haifa, Israel
Gastrointest Endosc 51:51-4. 2000..We compared linear array EUS with endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP), in our first 50 cases, to evaluate efficacy of this examination as well as the learning curve for this indication...
- Clinical trial: randomized-controlled clinical study comparing the efficacy and safety of a low-volume vs. a high-volume mesalazine foam in active distal ulcerative colitisR Eliakim
Gastroenterology Department, Rambam Medical Center, Haifa, Israel
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 26:1237-49. 2007..Recently, a high-volume 5-aminosalicylic acid foam has been shown to be as effective and safe as standard 5-aminosalicylic acid enema...
- Toilet reading habits in Israeli adultsO Goldstein
Department of Gastroenterology, Bnai Zion Medical Center, Faculty of Medicine, Technion, Haifa, Israel
Neurogastroenterol Motil 21:291-5. 2009..These differences, however, were not significant. Toilet reading is a common and benign habit. It is involved with a longer time spent in the toilet. It seems to be more for fun and not necessarily to solve or due to medical problems...
- Effects of current cigarette smoking on clinical course of Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitisH S Odes
Department of Gastroenterology at Soroka Medical Center, Beer Sheva, Israel
Dig Dis Sci 46:1717-21. 2001..02) and fewer hospitalizations (P = 0.01) and operations (P = 0.025). Our results agree with a minority of studies showing no adverse effect of smoking on the course of CD, and confirm the protective effect of smoking in UC...
- Budesonide foam versus budesonide enema in active ulcerative proctitis and proctosigmoiditisV Gross
Hospital St Marien, Amberg, Germany
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 23:303-12. 2006..Rectal budesonide is an effective treatment of active ulcerative proctitis or proctosigmoiditis...