Affiliation: Ben-Gurion University of the Negev
- Breast arterial calcifications as a cardiovascular risk marker in womenPavel Crystal
Department of Radiology, Soroka University Medical Center, Beer Sheva, Israel
Expert Rev Cardiovasc Ther 2:753-60. 2004..These results suggest that breast arterial calcifications, detected during routine mammography, are a noteworthy finding that could be valuable in identifying asymptomatic women at increased cardiovascular risk...
- A novel, simple scale for assessing the symptom severity of atrial fibrillation at the bedside: the CCS-SAF scalePaul Dorian
Division of Cardiology, St Michael s Hospital, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Can J Cardiol 22:383-6. 2006..Quantifying the effect of AF on patient well-being is important but there is no simple, commonly accepted measure of the effect of AF on quality of life (QoL). Current QoL measures are cumbersome and impractical for clinical use...
- Long-term amiodarone therapy and the risk of complications after cardiac surgery: results from the Canadian Amiodarone Myocardial Infarction Arrhythmia Trial (CAMIAT)Eugene Crystal
Department of Medicine, Faculty of Health Sciences, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 125:633-7. 2003....
- Interventions on prevention of postoperative atrial fibrillation in patients undergoing heart surgery: a meta-analysisEugene Crystal
Division of Cardiology, Faculty of Health Sciences, McMaster University, Ontario, Hamilton, Canada
Circulation 106:75-80. 2002..To better understand the role of various prophylactic therapies against postoperative AF, a systematic review of evidence from randomized trials was performed...
- Predictors of short-term complications after implantable cardioverter-defibrillator replacement: results from the Ontario ICD DatabaseAndrew D Krahn
Institute for Clinical Evaluative Sciences, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Circ Arrhythm Electrophysiol 4:136-42. 2011..In addition, replacement may be a discretionary decision in the context of an advisory or borderline device performance and patient, device, and implanter factors that predict adverse outcome may assist in clinical decision-making...
- Left Atrial Appendage Occlusion Study (LAAOS): results of a randomized controlled pilot study of left atrial appendage occlusion during coronary bypass surgery in patients at risk for strokeJeff S Healey
McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Am Heart J 150:288-93. 2005..This pilot study assessed the safety and efficacy of left atrial appendage (LAA) occlusion, performed at the time of coronary artery bypass grafting (CABG)...
- Atrial fibrillation after cardiac surgery: update on the evidence on the available prophylactic interventionsEugene Crystal
Department of Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Card Electrophysiol Rev 7:189-92. 2003..Amiodarone and bi-atrial pacing may decrease the length of hospital stay...
- Validation of a new simple scale to measure symptoms in atrial fibrillation: the Canadian Cardiovascular Society Severity in Atrial Fibrillation scalePaul Dorian
Division of Cardiology, St Michael s Hospital, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Circ Arrhythm Electrophysiol 2:218-24. 2009..This study was performed to validate the scale...
- Double-blind, placebo-controlled, randomized trial of prophylactic metoprolol for reduction of hospital length of stay after heart surgery: the beta-Blocker Length Of Stay (BLOS) studyStuart J Connolly
Department of Medicine, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Am Heart J 145:226-32. 2003..No previous trials have been primarily directed at demonstrating that the use of drugs that prevent AF would shorten length of stay and reduce the costs of postoperative care...
- Atrial fibrillation after cardiac surgery: evidence on prophylactic interventionsEugene Crystal
Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto, Electrophysiology Program, Schulich Heart Centre, Sunnybrook and Womens College Health Scoence Center, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Expert Rev Cardiovasc Ther 1:187-90. 2003..Amiodarone and bi-atrial pacing were also effective in decreasing the length of hospital stay...
- A randomized-controlled pilot study comparing ICD implantation with and without intraoperative defibrillation testing in patients with heart failure and severe left ventricular dysfunction: a substudy of the RAFT trialJeff S Healey
Population Health Research Institute, Barton St East, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol 23:1313-6. 2012..The need to perform defibrillation testing (DT) at the time of implantable cardioverter defibrillator (ICD) insertion is controversial. In the absence of randomized trials, some regions now perform more than half of ICD implants without DT...
- Sex differences in implantable cardioverter-defibrillator outcomes: findings from a prospective defibrillator databaseDerek R MacFadden
University of Toronto, Canada
Ann Intern Med 156:195-203. 2012..Sex differences in the use and outcomes of implantable cardioverter-defibrillators (ICDs) have not been fully studied...
- Prophylaxis and management of postoperative atrial fibrillationOrhan Onalan
Arrhythmia Services, Division of Cardiology, Sunnybrook and Women s College Health Sciences Centre, 2075 Bayview Avenue, A253, Toronto, ON M4N 3M5, Canada
Curr Cardiol Rep 7:382-90. 2005..In severely symptomatic or hemodynamically compromised patients urgent cardioversion is needed. Adequate oral anticoagulation may be indicated for a limited period of time...
- Evaluation of early complications related to De Novo cardioverter defibrillator implantation insights from the Ontario ICD databaseDouglas S Lee
Institute for Clinical Evaluative Sciences, Toronto, Ontario, Canada Toronto General Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Am Coll Cardiol 55:774-82. 2010..This study examined the predictors of early complications after defibrillator implantation...
- Canadian Registry of ICD Implant Testing procedures (CREDIT): current practice, risks, and costs of intraoperative defibrillation testingJeff S Healey
The Population Health Research Institute, McMaster University, Hamilton, Canada
J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol 21:177-82. 2010..There is uncertainty about the proper role of defibrillation testing (DT) at the time of implantable cardioverter defibrillator (ICD) insertion...
- The effect of atrial-based pacing on exercise capacity as measured by the 6-minute walk test: a substudy of the Canadian Trial of Physiological Pacing (CTOPP)Adrian Baranchuk
Queen s University, Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Heart Rhythm 4:1024-8. 2007....
- Determinants of pacemaker dependency after coronary and/or mitral or aortic valve surgery with long-term follow-upOrhan Onalan
Division of Cardiology, Arrhythmia Services, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre, University of Toronto, Canada
Am J Cardiol 101:203-8. 2008..A preoperative history of syncope, body mass index >or=28.5 kg/m2, bypass time of 105 minutes, and AVB as PM indication were independent predictors of long-term PM dependency after cardiac surgery...
- Interventions for preventing post-operative atrial fibrillation in patients undergoing heart surgeryKyle A Arsenault
Department of Surgery, McMaster University, Hamilton, Canada
Cochrane Database Syst Rev 1:CD003611. 2013..We conducted an update to a 2004 Cochrane systematic review and meta-analysis of the literature to gain a better understanding of the effectiveness of these interventions...
- Does warfarin use impact hospital length of stay? A retrospective study looking at patients treated for atrial fibrillationNicole Mittmann
Health Outcomes PharmacoEconomics HOPE Research Centre, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Hosp Top 91:20-4. 2013..2 days (SD = 5.2). However, for eight (4.2%) of these patients discharge was delayed an additional 2.25 days (SD = 1.3) for reasons solely attributed to achieving a therapeutic INR...
- Utility of three-dimensional echocardiography in assessing and predicting response to cardiac resynchronization therapyChing Lau
Division of Cardiology, Schulich Heart Centre, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre, Toronto, Ontario
Can J Cardiol 26:475-80. 2010..Cardiac resynchronization therapy (CRT) can be a valuable treatment for heart failure. However, there are high nonresponse rates using current CRT inclusion criteria...
- Nonpharmacologic stroke prevention in atrial fibrillationOrhan Onalan
Sunnybrook and Women s College Health Sciences Centre, Arrhythmia Services, Division of Cardiology, 2075 Bayview Avenue, B327, Toronto, Ontario, M4N 3M5, Canada
Expert Rev Cardiovasc Ther 3:619-33. 2005..Currently, these approaches are being evaluated in ongoing trials. This review will discuss the current status of nonpharmacologic methods in the prevention of stroke in atrial fibrillation...
- Left Atrial Appendage Occlusion Study (LAAOS): a randomized clinical trial of left atrial appendage occlusion during routine coronary artery bypass graft surgery for long-term stroke preventionEugene Crystal
McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Am Heart J 145:174-8. 2003..The left atrial appendage (LAA) is a main source of thrombus coming from the left atrium. LAA occlusion should be tested as a means to reduce future cerebral ischemic events in these patients...
- Left atrial appendage exclusion for stroke prevention in patients with nonrheumatic atrial fibrillationOrhan Onalan
Arrhythmia Services, Division of Cardiology, Sunnybrook Health Science Centre, University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada
Stroke 38:624-30. 2007..The current understanding of LAA exclusion for the prevention of stroke in patients with nonrheumatic AF is the major focus of this review...
- Meta-analysis of magnesium therapy for the acute management of rapid atrial fibrillationOrhan Onalan
Arrhythmia Services, Division of Cardiology, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Am J Cardiol 99:1726-32. 2007..85, 95% CI 0.44 to 1.61). In conclusion, the present meta-analysis of published data suggests that intravenous magnesium administration is an effective and safe strategy for the acute management of rapid AF...
- Prevention of atrial fibrillation with angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors and angiotensin receptor blockers: a meta-analysisJeff S Healey
Population Health Research Institute, McMaster University, and Hamilton Health Sciences, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
J Am Coll Cardiol 45:1832-9. 2005....
- Utilization of a national network for rapid response to the Medtronic Fidelis lead advisory: the Canadian Heart Rhythm Society Device Advisory CommitteeAndrew D Krahn
London Health Sciences Centre University Campus, London, Ontario, Canada
Heart Rhythm 6:474-7. 2009..The Canadian Heart Rhythm Society (CHRS) Device Advisory Committee was commissioned in 2006 to develop a mechanism for responding to advisories regarding cardiac rhythm device and lead performance...
- Complications associated with defibrillation threshold testing: the Canadian experienceDavid Birnie
University of Ottawa Heart Institute, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Heart Rhythm 5:387-90. 2008....
- The impact of catheter-tracking technologies on efficacy and safety in cardiac electrophysiologyEugene Crystal
Arrhythmia Services, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre, 2075 Bayview Avenue, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Expert Rev Cardiovasc Ther 8:1383-7. 2010..Apart from the improvement in procedural outcomes, usage of these systems is associated with a significant reduction in x-ray exposure...
- Electrogram-based optimal atrioventricular and interventricular delays of cardiac resynchronization change individually during exerciseGregory Golovchiner
St Michael s Hospital, Division of Cardiology, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Can J Cardiol 27:351-7. 2011..We assessed the feasibility and reproducibility of an electrogram-based method of optimization called QuickOpt at rest and during exercise...
- Role of oral anticoagulation in management of atrial fibrillationEugene Crystal
Department of Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Heart 90:813-7. 2004
- Visualization of thermal ablation lesions using cumulative dynamic contrast enhancement MRIAndriy Shmatukha
Cardiac and Interventional Applied Science Laboratory, General Electric HealthCare, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Phys Med Biol 58:3321-37. 2013..The described method has a potential not only to facilitate thermal ablation outcome assessment, but also to improve detection of infiltrative tumours and reduce the administered contrast agent dose in any DCE scans...
- Evolution of the implantable cardioverter defibrillatorEugene Crystal
Division of Cardiology, McMaster University, Ontario L8L 2X2, Hamilton, Canada
Lancet 359:1362-3. 2002
- Usefulness of lipoprotein changes during acute coronary syndromes for predicting postdischarge lipoprotein levelsYaakov Henkin
Department of Cardiology, Soroka University Medical Center and Faculty of Health Sciences, Ben Gurion University, Beer Sheva, Israel
Am J Cardiol 89:7-11. 2002..However, elevated baseline triglyceride levels significantly affect these LDL cholesterol changes and complicate prediction of long-term lipoprotein levels...
- Outcome of the Fidelis implantable cardioverter-defibrillator lead advisory: a report from the Canadian Heart Rhythm Society Device Advisory CommitteeAndrew D Krahn
London Health Sciences Center, University Campus, 339 Windermere Road, London, Ontario, Canada N6A 5A5
Heart Rhythm 5:639-42. 2008..The Medtronic Sprint Fidelis family of leads has recently been the subject of a widespread advisory. Lead failure rates are estimated at 2.3% at 30 months, 2.6 times the failure rate of the reference Medtronic 6947 lead...
- Outcome of myocardial infarction in patients treated with aspirin is enhanced by pre-hospital administrationIsrael M Barbash
Neufeld Cardiac Research Institute, Tel Aviv University, Sheba Medical Center, Tel Hashomer, Israel
Cardiology 98:141-7. 2002..Reducing time to reperfusion therapy is one of the goals in the management of acute myocardial infarction (AMI). We assessed the association between timing of aspirin administration and outcome of patients with AMI...
- Implantable device selection: do we need one more guideline update?Eugene Crystal
Pacing Clin Electrophysiol 26:1793-5. 2003
- Effect of modern pacing algorithms on generator longevity: a predictive analysisDan Gelvan
Medtronic, Beersheva, Israel
Pacing Clin Electrophysiol 26:1796-802. 2003..2 +/- 4.9 months, saving 8.1 +/- 5.8 months(range 0-18) of battery life. Thus, two algorithms: Capture Management and Search AV, have clinical relevance in the extension of PG longevity...
- Acute myocardial infarction: patient selection for reperfusion with coronary angioplastyCarlos Cafri
Department of Cardiology, Soroka Medical Center, Faculty of Health Sciences, Ben Gurion University of the Negev, Beer Sheva, Israel
Isr Med Assoc J 5:241-4. 2003..Despite the clinical advantages of mechanical reperfusion in the treatment of acute myocardial infarction, widespread use of percutaneous transluminal coronary angioplasty has been limited by a lack of human and institutional resources...
- Atrial fibrillation: guiding lessons from epidemiologyEugene Crystal
University of Toronto, Schulich Heart Centre, Sunnybrook and Women s College Health Science Centre, 2075 Bayview Avenue, Toronto, Ontario M4N 3M5, Canada
Cardiol Clin 22:1-8. 2004..Hypertension may be the most common primary etiology of AF, and the possibility of effective primary prevention of AF by strict control of hypertension needs to be evaluated adequately...
- Pacing for the prevention of atrial fibrillationAnne M Gillis
University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta
Can J Cardiol 21:41B-44B. 2005..In addition, selective pacing algorithms designed to prevent AF have minimal or no incremental benefits for the prevention of AF. At present, the role of selective atrial lead site(s) for the prevention of AF remains uncertain...
- Atrial fibrillation following cardiac surgeryL Brent Mitchell
Libin Cardiovascular Institute of Alberta, Calgary, Alberta
Can J Cardiol 21:45B-50B. 2005....
- VDD pacing: under evaluated, undervalued, and underusedI Eli Ovsyshcher
Pacing Clin Electrophysiol 27:1335-8. 2004
- Mexiletine related chronic defibrillation threshold elevation: case report and review of the literatureEugene Crystal
Cardiology Department, Cardiac Research Center, Soroka University Medical Center and Faculty of Health Sciences, Ben Gurion University of the Negev, Beer Sheva, Israel
Pacing Clin Electrophysiol 25:507-8. 2002..The current case report presents a patient with an endocardial implantable cardioverter defibrillator being treated with mexiletine, which precluded the ability to defibrillate the patient...