- Variation over time in the association between polypharmacy and mortality in the older population
Institute of Public Health, University of Cambridge, Cambridge, UK
Drugs Aging 28:547-60. 2011
..In the older population, multimorbidity is common and 'best practice' may invite the prescription of multiple medications...
- The neuropathology of vascular disease in the Medical Research Council Cognitive Function and Ageing Study (MRC CFAS)
The Irish Longitudinal Study on Ageing, Department of Medical Gerontology, Trinity College Dublin, Dublin, Ireland
Curr Alzheimer Res 9:687-96. 2012
..Vascular disease is associated with increased risk of dementia. Vascular health worsens with age. We investigated the relationship between self-reported vascular disease and brain pathology...
- Neuropathological correlates of dementia in over-80-year-old brain donors from the population-based Cambridge city over-75s cohort (CC75C) study
Department of Public Health and Primary Care, University of Cambridge, Institute of Public Health, Robinson Way, Cambridge, CB2 0SR, UK
J Alzheimers Dis 18:645-58. 2009
..A greater burden of these pathologies, Lewy bodies, and hippocampal atrophy, are associated with a higher risk of, but do not define, clinical dementia in old age...
- Use of Medications with Anticholinergic Activity and Self-Reported Injurious Falls in Older Community-Dwelling Adults
Department of Medical Gerontology, Trinity College Dublin, Dublin, Ireland
J Am Geriatr Soc 63:1561-9. 2015
..To assess the association between the use of medications with anticholinergic activity and the subsequent risk of injurious falls in older adults...
- Polypharmacy including falls risk-increasing medications and subsequent falls in community-dwelling middle-aged and older adults
Department of Medical Gerontology, Trinity College Dublin, Dublin, Ireland The Irish Longitudinal Study on Ageing, Chemistry Extension Building, Trinity College Dublin, Dublin, Ireland
Age Ageing 44:90-6. 2015
..polypharmacy is an important risk factor for falls, but recent studies suggest only when including medications associated with increasing the risk of falls...
- The effect of free health care on polypharmacy: a comparison of propensity score methods and multivariable regression to account for confounding
The Irish Longitudinal Study on Ageing TILDA, Trinity College Dublin, Dublin, Ireland Department of Medical Gerontology, Trinity College Dublin, Dublin, Ireland
Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf 23:656-65. 2014
..In Ireland, eligibility for free public health care is means tested. Here, we examine the association between healthcare access and polypharmacy while accounting for underlying socio-economic and health status differences...
- Agreement between patient interview data on prescription medication use and pharmacy records in those aged older than 50 years varied by therapeutic group and reporting of indicated health conditions
The Irish Longitudinal Study on Ageing, Trinity College Dublin, Dublin, Ireland Department of Medical Gerontology, Trinity College Dublin, Dublin, Ireland Electronic address
J Clin Epidemiol 66:1308-16. 2013
..To estimate the agreement between interview-ascertained medication use and pharmacy records among the population aged older than 50 years, and to identify patient-level predictors of discordance...
- Epidemiological studies of the effect of stroke on incident dementia: a systematic review
George M Savva
University of Cambridge, Institute of Public Health, Robinson Way, Cambridge CB20SR, UK
Stroke 41:e41-6. 2010
..Stroke is implicated in the incidence of dementia, and the risk of poststroke dementia is well characterized, but the excess risk of dementia in those with stroke compared with those without stroke is not well known...