J P O'Neill
Affiliation: Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland
- Anaplastic thyroid cancerJames Paul O'Neill
Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, The Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland, 123 St Stephens Green, Dublin, Ireland
Oral Oncol 49:702-6. 2013..The American Thyroid Association (ATA) has recently produced clear and comprehensive guidelines to assist physicians treating ATC...
- Head and neck sarcomas: epidemiology, pathology, and managementJames Paul O'Neill
Department of Head and Neck Surgery, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY 10065, USA
Neurosurg Clin N Am 24:67-78. 2013..The high rate of distant failure emphasizes the need for novel systemic and directed molecular therapies. Tumor grade, size, and margin status are key factors in survival...
- Anaplastic (undifferentiated) thyroid cancer: improved insight and therapeutic strategy into a highly aggressive diseaseJ P O'Neill
Department of Surgery and Otolaryngology, Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland, Beaumont Hospital, Dublin, Ireland
J Laryngol Otol 119:585-91. 2005..Future treatment options are reviewed with an emphasis on specific molecular targets responsible for the neoplastic phenotype...
- Prospective, blinded trial of whole-body magnetic resonance imaging versus computed tomography positron emission tomography in staging primary and recurrent cancer of the head and neckJ P O'Neill
Department of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, The Mater Hospital, Dublin, Ireland
J Laryngol Otol 124:1274-7. 2010..To compare the use of computed tomography - positron emission tomography and whole-body magnetic resonance imaging for the staging of head and neck cancer...
- Papillary type thyroid carcinoma in an ovarian strumaJ P O'Neill
The Department of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, St James Hospital, Dublin, Ireland
Ir J Med Sci 181:115-7. 2012..Struma Ovarii are mature teratomas. In rare circumstances thyroid tissue is found as part of the histopathological makeup. Malignant transformation may occur in 1-2% of these rare cases...
- Free tissue transfer versus pedicled flap reconstruction of head and neck malignancy defectsJ P O'Neill
Department of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, St James Hospital, Dublin, Ireland
Ir J Med Sci 179:337-43. 2010..With the advent of microsurgery the pedicled flap is considered by many to be an outdated surgical option...
- Complete traumatic laryngo-tracheal separationJ P O'Neill
Department of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, St James s Hospital, James s St, Dublin 8
Ir Med J 102:291-2. 2009..This case highlights the need for prompt airway evaluation, radiological imaging required, surgical management and long term injury sequelae...
- Anaplastic thyroid cancer, tumorigenesis and therapyJ P O'Neill
The Department of Otolaryngology, The Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland, Beaumont Hospital, The Education and Research Building, Beaumont, Dublin 9, Ireland
Ir J Med Sci 179:9-15. 2010..Current therapy fails to significantly improve survival. Recent insights into thyroid tumorigenesis, post-malignant dedifferentiation and mode of metastatic activity offer new therapeutic strategies...
- Controversies in the management of tongue base cancerJ P O'Neill
The Department of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, Mid Western Regional Hospital, Dooradoyle, Limerick, Ireland
Ir J Med Sci 178:1-5. 2009..Tongue base cancer is one of the most lethal head and neck cancers. There is considerable controversy in the management of this disease with wide variation of opinion within the literature...
- Lucja Frey--historical relevance and syndrome reviewJ P O'Neill
Department of Otolaryngology, The Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland, The Education and Research Building, Beaumont Hospital, Beaumont, Dublin
Surgeon 6:178-81. 2008..The incidence of Frey's syndrome after parotidectomy as cited in the literature varies. It may also be a sequela to a variety of inflammatory, infective and traumatic aetiologies...
- Oncogenic impact of human papilloma virus in head and neck cancerC B Heffernan
The Royal Victoria Eye and Ear Hospital, Adelaide Road, Dublin, Ireland
J Laryngol Otol 124:941-4. 2010....
- Effect of metronidazole versus standard care on length of stay of patients admitted with severe infectious mononucleosis: a randomized controlled trialP Lennon
Department of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, University Hospital Limerick, Dooradoyle, Ireland Graduate Entry Medical School, University of Limerick, Limerick, Ireland
Clin Microbiol Infect 20:O450-2. 2014..This was significantly less in the metronidazole group (3.67 days v 4.67) (p 0.032). This study demonstrates that metronidazole has a role to play in severe infectious mononucleosis. ..
- The recurrent laryngeal nerve in thyroid surgeryJ P O'Neill
Department of Otolaryngology, Mid Western Regional Hospital, Dooradoyle, Limerick
Surgeon 6:373-7. 2008..Controversy exists regarding the correct pre- and postoperative management in vocal cord evaluation. We fully review this topic and challenge, in part, the recent Thyroid Clinical Guidelines as published by RCSI...