Affiliation: Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland
- Rapid effects of 17beta-estradiol on epithelial TRPV6 Ca2+ channel in human T84 colonic cellsMustapha Irnaten
Molecular Medicine Laboratories, Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland, Beaumont Hospital, Dublin, Ireland
Cell Calcium 44:441-52. 2008..These results indicate that when cells are stimulated by E(2), Ca(2+) enters the cell through TRPV6 channels. TRPV6 channels in T84 cells contribute to the Ca(2+) entry/signalling pathway that is sensitive to 17beta-estradiol...
- Rapid effects of 17beta-estradiol on TRPV5 epithelial Ca2+ channels in rat renal cellsMustapha Irnaten
Molecular Medicine Laboratories, Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland, Beaumont Hospital, PO Box 9063, Dublin 9, Ireland
Steroids 74:642-9. 2009..Furthermore, the results suggest calcitropic effects of E(2). The results are discussed in relation to present concepts of non-genomic actions of E(2) in Ca(2+) homeostasis...
- Female gender-specific inhibition of KCNQ1 channels and chloride secretion by 17beta-estradiol in rat distal colonic cryptsFiona O'Mahony
Department of Molecular Medicine, Beaumont Hospital, Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland, Dublin 9, Ireland
J Biol Chem 282:24563-73. 2007..The anti-secretory response described in this study provides molecular insights whereby estrogen causes fluid retention effects in the female during periods of high circulating plasma estrogen levels...
- Rapid responses to aldosterone in the kidney and colonBrian J Harvey
Department of Molecular Medicine, Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland, Beaumont Hospital, Dublin 9, Ireland
J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol 108:310-7. 2008..Greater understanding of the physiological consequences of aldosterone's rapid responses in the kidney and colon has been achieved through the identification of definite and putative membrane targets and their signaling regulators...
- Activation of stretch-activated channels and maxi-K+ channels by membrane stress of human lamina cribrosa cellsMustapha Irnaten
Molecular Medicine Laboratories, RCSI Education and Research Centre, Beaumont Hospital, Dublin, Ireland
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 50:194-202. 2009..Here the authors investigated the effects of membrane stretch on cell volume change and ion channel activity and examined the associated changes in intracellular calcium ([Ca(2+)](i))...
- Berberine Reduces cAMP-Induced Chloride Secretion in T84 Human Colonic Carcinoma Cells through Inhibition of Basolateral KCNQ1 ChannelsRodrigo Alzamora
Department of Molecular Medicine, Education and Research Centre, Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland, Beaumont Hospital Dublin, Ireland
Front Physiol 2:33. 2011..We conclude that berberine exerts its inhibitory effect on colonic Cl(-) secretion through inhibition of basolateral KCNQ1 channels responsible for K(+) recycling via a PKCα-dependent pathway...