R M Conroy
Affiliation: Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland
- Boredom-proneness, loneliness, social engagement and depression and their association with cognitive function in older people: a population studyRonan M Conroy
Division of Population Health Sciences, Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland, Dublin, Ireland
Psychol Health Med 15:463-73. 2010..Both may have a common underlying mechanism in the failure to select and maintain attention on particular features of the social environment (loneliness) or the non-social environment (boredom-proneness)...
- Calculating effect size for continuous variables: D537--a robust, quantile-based approachRonán Michael Conroy
Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland, Dublin, Ireland
Physiotherapy 97:309-12. 2011..When data are normally distributed, the value of D537 is equal to that of Cohen's d. As D537 is based on the 30th, 50th and 70th percentiles, it is robust to outliers...
- Imputation by the mean score should be avoided when validating a Patient Reported Outcomes questionnaire by a Rasch model in presence of informative missing dataJean Benoit Hardouin
EA 4275 Biostatistics, Clinical Research and Subjective Measures in Health Sciences, Faculties of Medicine and Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Nantes, 1 rue Gaston Veil, BP 53508, 44035 Nantes cedex 1, Nantes, France
BMC Med Res Methodol 11:105. 2011..The main indexes used for validation by a Rasch model are compared...
- A multidisciplinary primary care team consultation in a socio-economically deprived community: an exploratory randomised controlled trialWai Sun Chan
Division of Population Health Sciences, Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland, 120 St Stephens Green, Dublin 2, Ireland
BMC Health Serv Res 11:15. 2011..The objective of this study was to evaluate the effectiveness of a lengthened multi-disciplinary team consultation in primary care in reducing anxiety and depression in mothers...
- Impact of briefly-assessed depression on secondary prevention outcomes after acute coronary syndrome: a one-year longitudinal surveyHannah M McGee
Health Services Research Centre, Department of Psychology, Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland, Dublin 2, Ireland
BMC Health Serv Res 6:9. 2006..However, lengthy depression assessment techniques preclude depression assessment in routine care. The present study investigated the relationship of briefly-assessed depression with secondary prevention outcomes one year post-ACS...
- Cross-sectional validation of the Aging Perceptions Questionnaire: a multidimensional instrument for assessing self-perceptions of agingMaja Barker
Department of Psychology, Division of Population Health Sciences, Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland, Dublin, Ireland
BMC Geriatr 7:9. 2007..This study describes the validation of this newly-developed instrument, the Aging Perceptions Questionnaire (APQ)...
- Nine-year comparison of presentation and management of acute coronary syndromes in Ireland: a national cross-sectional surveyFrank Doyle
Department of Epidemiology and Public Health Medicine, Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland, 123 St, Stephen s Green, Dublin 2, Ireland
BMC Cardiovasc Disord 5:5. 2005..The present study compared current practice with 1994 and surveyed acute coronary syndromes as a more complete contemporary evaluation of critical cardiac care than assessing AMI alone...
- Solar disinfection of drinking water protects against cholera in children under 6 years of ageR M Conroy
Department of Tropical Medicine and International Health, Royal College of Surgeons, Mercer Building, Dublin 2, Republic of Ireland
Arch Dis Child 85:293-5. 2001....
- Solar disinfection of water reduces diarrhoeal disease: an updateR M Conroy
Mercer Building, Royal College of Surgeons, Department of Tropical Medicine and International Health, Dublin 2, Ireland
Arch Dis Child 81:337-8. 1999..The continuing use of solar disinfection by the community underlines the value of community participation in research...
- Health anxiety and characteristics of self-initiated general practitioner consultationsR M Conroy
Department of General Practice, Royal College of Surgeons, Dublin, Ireland
J Psychosom Res 46:45-50. 1999..The findings support the health anxiety model as predicting use of services by psychologically normal persons...
- Solar disinfection of drinking water and diarrhoea in Maasai children: a controlled field trialR M Conroy
Department of Epidemiology and Preventive Medicine, Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland, Dublin
Lancet 348:1695-7. 1996..Solar radiation reduces the bacterial content of water, and may therefore offer a method for disinfection of drinking water that requires few resources and no expertise...
- What predicts depression in cardiac patients: sociodemographic factors, disease severity or theoretical vulnerabilities?F Doyle
Department of Psychology, Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland, Dublin, Ireland
Psychol Health 26:619-34. 2011..The presence of these proximal causes of depression suggests that depression in ACS patients is not simply a result of cardiovascular disease severity...
- Prevalence and predictors of carer burden and depression in carers of patients referred to an old age psychiatric serviceG J Molyneux
Department of Psychiatry, Tallaght Hospital, Dublin, Ireland
Int Psychogeriatr 20:1193-202. 2008....
- Young adults' preferred options for receiving chlamydia screening test results: a cross-sectional survey of 6085 young adultsR Brugha
Department of Epidemiology and Public Health Medicine, Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland, Dublin
Int J STD AIDS 22:635-9. 2011..Offering a range of mechanisms for receipt of test results may increase the acceptability and coverage of sexually transmitted infection (STI) control strategies...
- Increase in observed mental health difficulties one year after acute coronary syndrome: general practitioner surveyF Doyle
Department of Psychology, Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland, 123 St Stephen s Green, Dublin 2, Ireland
Ir J Med Sci 176:205-9. 2007..General practitioners (GPs) are often the first to assess mental health difficulties after acute coronary syndrome (ACS)...