- Informed consent: a patients' perspectivePaul Burns
Department of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, Royal Victoria Eye and Ear Hospital, Adelaide Road, Dublin, Ireland
J Laryngol Otol 119:19-22. 2005..In conclusion, the information provided by surgeons might not meet the expectations of today's informed patients...
- Clavicular osteomyelitis: a rare complication of head and neck cancer surgeryPaul Burns
Department of Otalaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, St James s Hospital, Dublin, Ireland
Head Neck 30:1124-7. 2008..It presented a diagnostic dilemma. The differential diagnosis included tumor recurrence, metastatic bone disease, and postradiotherapy complications...
- Sternotomy for substernal goitre: an otolaryngologist's perspectiveP Burns
Department of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, St James s Hospital, Dublin, Ireland
J Laryngol Otol 122:495-9. 2008..Our aim for this study was to establish clinical and radiological predictors which would aid the otolaryngologist in the pre-operative planning of such cases...
- Wegener's granulomatosis masquerading as unilateral sinusitisP Burns
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Royal Victoria Eye and Ear Hospital, Adelaide Road, Dublin 2, Ireland
Ir Med J 97:51. 2004..Unilateral sinusitis with a nasal mass, is a very unusual presentation of WG, and emphasises the importance of a low threshold of suspicion for patients presenting with atypical sinonasal symptoms...
- Thyroid pathology and the globus symptom: are they related? A two year prospective trialP Burns
Department of Otolaryngology, Royal Victoria Eye and Ear Hospital, Dublin, Ireland
J Laryngol Otol 121:242-5. 2007..The globus sensation is a constant feeling of a lump in the throat and may be associated with thyroid enlargement. A two year prospective study was set up to ascertain the relationship between thyroid pathology and globus symptoms...
- Otorhinolaryngologists' interest in facial plastic surgery: a survey in the United Kingdom and IrelandP Burns
ENT Department, Beaumont Hospital, Beaumont, Dublin, Ireland
J Laryngol Otol 122:299-302. 2008..Within the field of otorhinolaryngology, interest in facial plastic surgery has grown significantly in recent years. There is a lack of evidence in the literature documenting this interest in the British Isles...
- The diagnosis and management of globus: a perspective from IrelandPaul Burns
The Adelaide and Meath Hospital, Incorporating the National Children s Hospital, Dublin, Ireland
Curr Opin Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 16:503-6. 2008..As such, the scope of this article is to review the current literature and to describe, from an Irish perspective, the current best practice on the management of globus...
- Otitis externa: quality of life assessmentR Ali
Department of Otolaryngology, Waterford Regional Hospital, Dunmore Road, Waterford, Ireland
Ir J Med Sci 177:221-3. 2008..Otitis externa (OE) is an extremely common dermatological condition that can affect social life and employment, but formal studies of its general health impact are lacking...
- Sodium-hydrogen exchange inhibition by cariporide to reduce the risk of ischemic cardiac events in patients undergoing coronary artery bypass grafting: results of the EXPEDITION studyRobert M Mentzer
Wayne State University School of Medicine, 540 East Canfield, 1241 Scott Hall, Detroit, MI 48201, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 85:1261-70. 2008..The premise was that inhibition of NHE-1 limits intracellcular Na accumulation and thereby limits Na/Ca-exchanger-mediated calcium overload to reduce infarct size...
- Patient, operative, and surgeon factors that influence the effect of superficial venous surgery on disease-specific quality of lifeRhoda K Mackenzie
Department of Vascular Surgery, University of Birmingham, United Kingdom
J Vasc Surg 36:896-902. 2002....