Genomes and Genes
Mohammad R Safarinejad
Affiliation: Urology and Nephrology Research Center
- Safarinejad M. Treatment of nonparaphilic hypersexuality in men with a long-acting analog of gonadotropin-releasing hormone. J Sex Med. 2009;6:1151-1164 pubmed publisher..After 3 months, serum T, and fT levels decreased by 50% in 65 (85.5%) of patients (P = 0.01). Triptorelin was very effective and well tolerated in men with NPH. Further studies are needed to replicate our results. ..
- Safarinejad M, Hosseini S, Kolahi A. Comparison of vitamin E and propionyl-L-carnitine, separately or in combination, in patients with early chronic Peyronie's disease: a double-blind, placebo controlled, randomized study. J Urol. 2007;178:1398-403; discussion 1403 pubmed..1). This study did not show significant improvement in pain, curvature or plaque size in patients with PD treated with vitamin E, propionyl-L-carnitine, or vitamin E plus propionyl-L-carnitine compared with those treated with placebo. ..
- Safarinejad M. Efficacy and safety of omega-3 for treatment of early-stage Peyronie's disease: A prospective, randomized, double-blind placebo-controlled study. J Sex Med. 2009;6:1743-1754 pubmed publisher..Mean index of IIEF-5 in 6-month treatment period was 8.8 +/- 1.6 in the omega-3 group and 8.8 +/- 1.4 in the placebo group (P = 0.1). These data do not support a beneficial effect of omega-3 supplementation in early-chronic stage PD. ..
- Safarinejad M, Kolahi A, Hosseini L. The effect of the mode of delivery on the quality of life, sexual function, and sexual satisfaction in primiparous women and their husbands. J Sex Med. 2009;6:1645-1667 pubmed publisher..In healthy women with normal singleton pregnancies at term, instrumental deliveries are associated with the highest and PCS associated with the lowest rate of long-term maternal and paternal sexual dysfunction. ..
- Safarinejad M. Infertility among couples in a population-based study in Iran: prevalence and associated risk factors. Int J Androl. 2008;31:303-14 pubmed..Yet, further studies on the cause of primary and secondary infertility and geographical variations in the incidence and prevalence of infertility in Iran are needed...
- Safarinejad M, Shafiei N, Safarinejad S. A prospective double-blind randomized placebo-controlled study of the effect of saffron (Crocus sativus Linn.) on semen parameters and seminal plasma antioxidant capacity in infertile men with idiopathic oligoasthenoteratozoospermia. Phytother Res. 2011;25:508-16 pubmed publisher..If medical professionals want to prescribe herbal remedies for male infertility, previous rigorous scientific investigations, documenting their safety and efficacy are required...
- Safarinejad M, Shafiei N, Safarinejad S. Relationship of insulin-like growth factor (IGF) binding protein-3 (IGFBP-3) gene polymorphism with the susceptibility to development of prostate cancer and influence on serum levels of IGF-I, and IGFBP-3. Growth Horm IGF Res. 2011;21:146-54 pubmed publisher..01, respectively) compared with controls. The AA genotype at IGFBP-3 gene polymorphism is associated with reduced risks of PCa and BPH. Both IGF-I and IGFBP-3 concentrations, are associated with modified risks of PCa and BPH. ..
- Safarinejad M. Reversal of SSRI-induced female sexual dysfunction by adjunctive bupropion in menstruating women: a double-blind, placebo-controlled and randomized study. J Psychopharmacol. 2011;25:370-8 pubmed publisher..2% (95% CI 44.7-82.6%, p = 0.001) in the bupropion group. Adjunctive treatment with bupropion sustained release during a 12-week period significantly improved key aspects of sexual function in women with SSRI-induced sexual dysfunction. ..
- Safarinejad M, Shafiei N, Safarinejad S. Association of polymorphisms in the estrogen receptors alpha, and beta (ESR1, ESR2) with the occurrence of male infertility and semen parameters. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol. 2010;122:193-203 pubmed publisher..Further studies are needed to replicate our findings as well as to better elucidate the biological mechanisms of the modulation of ESR-?, and ER-? on male infertility...
- Safarinejad M, Shafiei N, Safarinejad S. Association of the (TAAAA)n repeat and Asp327Asn polymorphisms in the sex hormone-binding globulin (SHBG) gene with idiopathic male infertility and relation to serum SHBG concentrations. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol. 2011;123:37-45 pubmed publisher..Multicenter large scale studies are warranted to better elucidate the role of SHBG gene polymorphism in male infertility. ..
- Safarinejad M. Relationship between premature ejaculation and genetic polymorphisms of the dopamine transporter gene (SLC6A3). BJU Int. 2011;108:292-6 pubmed publisher..Further studies are needed to replicate these results and to evaluate the role of inconsistency in the DAT genes and how this affects the development of PE. ..
- Safarinejad M, Shafiei N, Safarinejad S. Glutathione S-transferase gene polymorphisms (GSTM1, GSTT1, GSTP1) and prostate cancer: a case-control study in Tehran, Iran. Prostate Cancer Prostatic Dis. 2011;14:105-13 pubmed publisher..62 (95% CI: 2.31-5.74; P=0.004). The results obtained demonstrated that simultaneous presence of three potentially risk alleles (GSTM1 null, GSTT1 null and GSTP1 Val) lead to a significant OR increase for PCa. ..
- Safarinejad M, Shafiei N, Safarinejad S. The association between bladder cancer and a single nucleotide polymorphism (rs2854744) in the insulin-like growth factor (IGF)-binding protein-3 (IGFBP-3) gene. Arch Toxicol. 2011;85:1209-18 pubmed publisher..10, P = 0.87). Genetic polymorphism of the IGFBP-3 gene may be involved in the etiology of bladder TCC, and our results need further confirmation by larger studies. ..
- Safarinejad M. The effect of coenzyme Q?? supplementation on partner pregnancy rate in infertile men with idiopathic oligoasthenoteratozoospermia: an open-label prospective study. Int Urol Nephrol. 2012;44:689-700 pubmed publisher..7, 104.8, and 78.9%, respectively (all Ps < 0.05). The overall pregnancy rate was 34.1% within a mean of 8.4 ± 4.7 months. CoQ(10) supplementation improves semen quality with beneficial effect on pregnancy rate. ..