Affiliation: National Institute of Immunohaematology
Location: Mumbai, India
Advance studies in Immunogenetics, Molecular Immunogenetics, Studies in Immunological Mechanisms of antigen presentation, Population Diversity of HLA, Functional Genomics in selected diseases, Immuno-modulation and Vaccines design.
List of Scientific Projects conducted / participated:
1. ICMR TASK FORCE Project
1. RM.Pitchappan, S.Amutha, V.Mahendran, V.Brahmajothi, U.Shankarkumar, K.Balakrishnan, R.Shanthakumari, M.Sashidar, S.Amalraj, May Manual and Indra Raja. Collection of anti-HLA antibodies in South India. Indian J.Bio.Sci.18(3): 373-380. 1993.
2. V.Brahmajothi, RM.Pitchappan, K.Rajaram, U.Shankarkumar, CN.Paramasivam and R.Prabakar. Immune status and Chemotherapy in Pulmonary Tuberculosis patients in South India.Lancet conference 1995 Investigator award for Bramajothi (Ref.Lancet 736: 1995)
3. K.Balakrishnan, RM.Pitchappan, K.Suzuki, U.Shankarkumar, R.Shanthakumari and K.Tokunaga. HLA affinities of Iyers a Brahmin population in TamilNadu, South India. Human Biology 68(4): 523-537. 1996.
4. U.Shankarkumar. HLA system and Organ transplantation. National Kidney Foundation NKF (1) No: 19:4-5. 1998.
5. U.Shankarkumar and J.V.Undevia.Donor selection for allogeneic bone marrow transplantation. IIH Bulletin vol. 29: 2: 1998.
6. U.Shankarkumar, S.C.Gupte, S.S.Gupte, S.V.Pednekar, K.Ghosh, and D.Mohanty. Frequency and potential application of HLA antibodies from pregnant women in Mumbai. J.Bio.Sci. 23: 5: 601 - 604, 1998.
7. Suchitha Pednakar, S.Gupte, U.Shankarkumar, K.Ghosh and D.Mohanty.HLA A and B antigen distribution in Marathi speaking population from Mumbai. Indian J. Human Genetics 5(sup no: 1) 63:1999.
8. Aruna Pawar, Shrimati Shetty, Sona Nair, S.Anubhavane, K.Ghosh, M.Mukherjee, Reema Survae, U.Shankarkumar and Dipika Mohanty.The prevalence of Factor V Leiden mutation in Indians. Indian J Human Genetics 5(sup no: 1) 74:1999.
9. U.Shankarkumar, K.Ghosh, S.Gupte, M.B.Mukerjee and D.Mohanty. Distribution of HLA antigens in Bhils and Pawars of Dhadgaon, Maharashtra, India. J. Human Ecology 10 (3): 173-178 1999.
10. U.Shankarkumar, S.V.Pednakar, S.Gupte, K.Ghosh and D.Mohanty. HLA antigen distribution in Marathi speaking Hindu population from Mumbai, Maharashtra , India. J. Human Ecology 10 (5-6): 367-372, 1999.
11. U.Shankarkumar and J.V. Undevia.Donor selection for allogenic bone marrow Transplantation. Indian. J. Med. Science 53 (11): 493- 505, 1999.
12. S.U.Chhaya, M.Panthaki and U.Shankarkumar. HLA antigen distribution in Gujarathi speaking Hindu population from Mumbai, Maharashtra, India. Anthropologist 2(1): 7-12, 2000.
13. A.Pawar, K.Ghosh, S.Shetty, U.Shankarkumar, A.Khare, S.Nair and D.Mohanty. A study of distribution of factor V Leiden in Indian population and cases of Thromboembolic disorders. Indian. J. Haemat. Blood Transfus. Vol: XVII supl 1: 5-6, 2000.
14. K.Ghosh, M. Mukherjee, R.Suruvae, U.Shankarkumar, S L Kate, S. NagtilakR.Colah and D.Mohanty. Splenomegaly and its association in school children from Dahadghoan, Dhule district, Maharastra, Indian. J Malariol. 30: 57- 63, 2000.
15. U.Shankarkumar, K.Ghosh and D.Mohanty HLA Class I antigen profile among Brahmins and related caste groups from Mumbai, Maharastra, India. Indian J Human Genetics
- [Relation of HLA antigens and myocardial infarction]Y Dogan
Istanbul Universitesi Cerrahpaşa Tip Fakültesi Kardiyoloji Anabilim Dali
Anadolu Kardiyol Derg 1:80-4, AXIII. 2001..The aim of our study was to investigate the relation of atherosclerosis and HLA antigens in patients with acute myocardial infarction...
- Emerging role of nitrite in human biologyAndre Dejam
Laboratory of Chemical Biology, National Institute of Diabetes, Digestive and Kidney Disease, National Institute of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Blood Cells Mol Dis 32:423-9. 2004..This review focuses on the role of nitrite as a circulating NO donor, its potential as an index of NO synthase (NOS) activity and endothelial function, and discusses potential diagnostic and therapeutic applications...
- [Factor V]Kagehiro Amano
Department of Laboratory Medicine, Tokyo Medical University
Nihon Rinsho 62:632-5. 2004
- [CYP 2D6 activity profile among patients with depression]Andrzej Bidziński
Zakładu Neurochemii IPiN w Warszawie
Psychiatr Pol 38:1085-92. 2004..The aim of this work was to establish the profile of CYP 2D6 activity among patients with depressive disorders, and compare it with the literature data on this activity among healthy volunteers, recruited from the Polish population...
- Pulmonary tuberculosisMarkus Brunner
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, Medical University of Vienna, Wahringer Gurtel 18 20, Vienna, Austria
Wien Klin Wochenschr 119:404. 2007
- Bone marrowDarra T Murphy
Department of Radiology, Mater Misericordiae University Hospital, Eccles Street, Dublin 7, Ireland
Magn Reson Imaging Clin N Am 18:727-35. 2010..This article describes the composition of bone marrow and the normal progression of bone marrow changes as they occur throughout the aging process, and provides examples of pitfalls and variants that may simulate disease...
- Human leucocyte antigen class II DRB1 and DQB1 associations in human immunodeficiency virus-infected patients of Mumbai, IndiaU Shankarkumar
National Institute of Immunohaematology, ICMR, KEM Hospital, Parel, Mumbai, India
Int J Immunogenet 37:199-204. 2010..Our results indicate clearly that there are HLA class II alleles involved in the susceptibility to and protection from HIV-1 infection in our study group and further they vary in different ethnic groups reported in literature...
- HIV and malaria co-infection in Mumbai, western IndiaU Shankarkumar
National Institute of Immunohaematology, KEM Hospital, Mumbai, India
J Vector Borne Dis 48:155-8. 2011..A transient almost one-log elevation in HIV viral load occurs during febrile malaria episodes. We prospectively studied malaria patients for HIV infection from Mumbai...