Genomes and Genes
Ranbir C Sobti
Affiliation: Panjab University
- Sobti R, Kaur S, Sharma V, Singh S, Hosseini S, Kler R. Susceptibility of XPD and RAD51 genetic variants to carcinoma of urinary bladder in North Indian population. DNA Cell Biol. 2012;31:199-210 pubmed publisher..51, 95% CI=0.27-0.99) and with those having G2 grade (OR=0.24, 95% CI=0.09-0.62) of bladder cancer. XPD polymorphism may be a predisposing factor, but the same cannot be said for RAD51 gene polymorphism. ..
- Sobti R, Salih A, Nega B, Seyed A, Rupinder K, Vijesh K, et al. Insights into the role of IL-12B and IFN-gamma cytokine gene polymorphisms in HIV-1/AIDS infection. Folia Biol (Praha). 2010;56:110-5 pubmed..The present study suggested that individuals with mutant homozygous IFN-gamma AA genotype were at risk of HIV-1/AIDS (OR = 1.88, 95% CI 1.14-3.10, P = 0.008). ..
- Sobti R, Singh N, Hussain S, Suri V, Bharadwaj M, Das B. Deregulation of STAT-5 isoforms in the development of HPV-mediated cervical carcinogenesis. J Recept Signal Transduct Res. 2010;30:178-88 pubmed publisher..001). We observed for the first time the differential expression pattern of STAT-5 isoforms in cervical cancer and that STAT-5 may play an important role in the progression of HPV-mediated cervical cancer. ..
- Sobti R, Maithil N, Thakur H, Sharma Y, Talwar K. VEGF and IL-4 gene variability and its association with the risk of coronary heart disease in north Indian population. Mol Cell Biochem. 2010;341:139-48 pubmed publisher..34, 95% CI 0.14-0.82, P < 0.01) and central obesity (OR 0.15, 95% CI 0.04-0.56, P < 0.001). GG genotype of VEGF has also shown significant association with IL-4 (P2P2 and P1P2) genotypes. ..
- Sobti R, Gupta L, Singh S, Seth A, Kaur P, Thakur H. Role of hormonal genes and risk of prostate cancer: gene-gene interactions in a North Indian population. Cancer Genet Cytogenet. 2008;185:78-85 pubmed publisher..This indicates the role of mutant allele of ER and CYP17 in the development and progression of prostate cancer and rules out any increased risk with PSA polymorphism in the north Indian population. ..
- Sobti R, Kaur P, Kaur S, Janmeja A, Jindal S, Kishan J, et al. Combined effect of GSTM1, GSTT1 and GSTP1 polymorphisms on histological subtypes of lung cancer. Biomarkers. 2008;13:282-95 pubmed..However, the increased risk was limited to SqCC, and was not found for other histological subtypes. Further analyses on this topic are needed. ..
- Sobti R, Kordi Tamandani D, Shekari M, Kaur P, Malekzadeh K, Suri V. Interleukin 1 beta gene polymorphism and risk of cervical cancer. Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2008;101:47-52 pubmed..69; 95% CI, 2.61-12.50; P<0.001) compared with a nonsmoker with the A1/A1 genotype. This study provides evidence of an association between lL-1beta +3953 polymorphism and risk of cervical cancer. ..
- Sobti R, Kaur S, Kaur P, Singh J, Gupta I, Jain V, et al. Interaction of passive smoking with GST (GSTM1, GSTT1, and GSTP1) genotypes in the risk of cervical cancer in India. Cancer Genet Cytogenet. 2006;166:117-23 pubmed..4, 95% CI = 2.25-18.38, P = 0.0005) have an increased risk of developing cervix cancer. It is thus concluded that cervical cancer risk is increased in passive smokers with GSTM1 (null), GSTT1 (null), and GSTP1 (ile/val) genotypes. ..
- Sobti R, Gupta L, Thakur H, Seth A, Singh S, Kaur P. CYP17 gene polymorphism and its association in north Indian prostate cancer patients. Anticancer Res. 2009;29:1659-63 pubmed..The A2 allele of the CYP17 polymorphism is associated with an increased risk of prostate cancer and has a role in the development of prostate cancer in smokers and non-vegetarians. ..
- Sobti R, Kaur P, Kaur S, Janmeja A, Jindal S, Kishan J, et al. Impact of interaction of polymorphic forms of p53 codon 72 and N-acetylation gene (NAT2) on the risk of lung cancer in the North Indian population. DNA Cell Biol. 2009;28:443-9 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, these findings suggest that the influence of NAT2 genotype, alone or in combination with p53 genotype, may confer increased susceptibility to lung cancer. ..
- Sobti R, Shekari M, Kordi Tamandani D, Kaur P, Suri V, Huria A. Effect of NBS1 gene polymorphism on the risk of cervix carcinoma in a northern Indian population. Int J Biol Markers. 2008;23:133-9 pubmed..The risk was increased 2.4-fold in oral contraceptive users with a Glu/Gln genotype. We conclude that the risk of cervical cancer is increased in passive smokers and in users of oral contraceptives with certain NBS1 genotypes...
- Sobti R, Onsory K, Al Badran A, Kaur P, Watanabe M, Krishan A, et al. CYP17, SRD5A2, CYP1B1, and CYP2D6 gene polymorphisms with prostate cancer risk in North Indian population. DNA Cell Biol. 2006;25:287-94 pubmed
- Sobti R, Singh N, Hussain S, Suri V, Nijhawan R, Bharti A, et al. Aberrant promoter methylation and loss of suppressor of cytokine signalling-1 gene expression in the development of uterine cervical carcinogenesis. Cell Oncol (Dordr). 2011;34:533-43 pubmed publisher..01). We demonstrate for the first time the transcriptional inactivation of SOCS-1 gene due to hypermethylation and synergism with HPV infection which may play an important role in cervical carcinoma. ..
- Sobti R, Berhane N, Melese S, Mahdi S, Gupta L, Thakur H, et al. Impact of XPD gene polymorphism on risk of prostate cancer on north Indian population. Mol Cell Biochem. 2012;362:263-8 pubmed publisher..The polymerase chain reaction and restrictive fragment length polymorphism techniques were implemented. Statistically non-significant increase risk of prostate cancer was observed with patients having Gln/Gln genotype (OR 1.62, 95% CI). ..
- Sobti R, Sharma V, Abitew A, Berhane N, Mahdi S, Askari M, et al. The -137G/C polymorphism of interleukin 18 promoter and risk of HIV-1 infection and its progression to AIDS. Acta Virol. 2011;55:353-6 pubmed..The data of the present study suggest that IL-18 -137 G allele and G/G genotype seem to be involved in the pathogenesis of HIV-1 infection among North Indians...