C E Eapen
Affiliation: Christian Medical College
- Acute fatty liver of pregnancy: a report of two casesG Loganathan
Department of Gastrointestinal Sciences, Christian Medical College and Hospital, Vellore 632004, Tamil Nadu, India
Natl Med J India 15:336-8. 2002..Liver biopsy done in both patients was consistent with the diagnosis of acute fatty liver of pregnancy. To the best of our knowledge, this is the first report from India on acute fatty liver of pregnancy...
- Changing profile of Budd Chiari syndrome in IndiaC E Eapen
Department of Gastrointestinal Sciences, Christian Medical College, Vellore 632 004, Tamil Nadu, India
Indian J Gastroenterol 26:77-81. 2007..Improvement in hygiene and sanitation may partly explain the recent change in disease profile of Budd Chiari syndrome in India...
- Non-cirrhotic intrahepatic portal hypertension: associated gut diseases and prognostic factorsC E Eapen
Liver Unit, Queen Elizabeth Hospital, and Department of Pathology, University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham, B15 2TH, UK
Dig Dis Sci 56:227-35. 2011..We have studied a cohort followed-up at a tertiary referral center and postulate that gut-derived prothrombotic factors may contribute to the pathogenesis and prognosis of NCIPH...
- Liver failure during pregnancyC E Eapen
Department of Gastrointestinal Sciences, Christian Medical College, Vellore, Tamil Nadu, India
Gut 57:83. 2008
- Genotype phenotype correlation in Wilson's disease within families--a report on four south Indian familiesS Santhosh
Department of Gastrointestinal Sciences Christian Medical College, Vellore, Tamil Nadu, India
World J Gastroenterol 14:4672-6. 2008..To study the genotype phenotype correlation in Wilson's disease (WD) patients within families...
- Association of HLA and TNF polymorphisms with the outcome of HBV infection in the South Indian populationG J Fletcher
Department of Clinical Virology, Christian Medical College, Vellore, Tamil Nadu, India
Genes Immun 12:552-8. 2011..0004). Our study suggests that inheritance of HLA and TNF polymorphisms might explain the outcome of HBV infection in the South Indian population...
- Antiviral resistance mutations and genotype-associated amino acid substitutions in treatment-naïve hepatitis B virus-infected individuals from the Indian subcontinentA M Ismail
Department of Clinical Virology, Christian Medical College, Vellore, India
Intervirology 55:36-44. 2012..Antiviral resistance is a major challenge to the treatment currently available for hepatitis B virus (HBV). In this study, mutations that may affect the antiviral efficacy in treatment-naïve HBV-infected individuals were analyzed...
- Idiopathic non-cirrhotic intrahepatic portal hypertension: common cause of cryptogenic intrahepatic portal hypertension in a Southern Indian tertiary hospitalKadiyala Madhu
Department of Gastrointestinal Sciences, Christian Medical College, Vellore, India
Indian J Gastroenterol 28:83-7. 2009..The aim of this study was to evaluate causes of liver disease in patients with unexplained intrahepatic portal hypertension...
- Liver injury in acute fatty liver of pregnancy: possible link to placental mitochondrial dysfunction and oxidative stressSathish Kumar Natarajan
The Wellcome Trust Research Laboratory, Department of Gastrointestinal Sciences, Vellore, India
Hepatology 51:191-200. 2010..CONCLUSION: Oxidative stress in placental mitochondria and peroxisomes is accompanied by accumulation of toxic mediators such as arachidonic acid, which may play a causative role in maternal liver damage seen in AFLP...
- Transjugular liver biopsy: a retrospective analysis of 601 casesThomas Mammen
Department of Radiology, Christian Medical College Hospital, Vellore, India
J Vasc Interv Radiol 19:351-8. 2008..The authors discuss the technical modifications adopted to achieve better procedural success and histopathologic yield apart from the safety profile of this procedure during the study period...
- Infection with hepatitis C virus genotype 3--experience of a tertiary health care centre in south IndiaJ David
Department of Clinical Virology, Christian Medical College, Vellore 632 004, India
Indian J Med Microbiol 28:155-7. 2010..Absence of early viral response (EVR) showed high (80%) predictive value on SVR. Absence of EVR and normalisation of the ALT levels can predict the outcome of HCV antiviral therapy...
- Investigation of an epidemic of Hepatitis E in Nellore in south IndiaRosario Vivek
Department of Gastrointestinal Sciences, Christian Medical College, Ida Scudder Road, Vellore, India
Trop Med Int Health 15:1333-9. 2010..To determine the incidence of acute hepatitis because of hepatitis E virus (HEV) and the source of the epidemic in Nellore in south India in 2008...
- Liver histology and immunohistochemical findings in asymptomatic Indians with incidental detection of hepatitis B virus infectionAshis Mukhopadhya
Department of GI Sciences, Christian Medical College and Hospital, Vellore 632 004, India
Indian J Gastroenterol 25:128-31. 2006..We evaluated the histological activity index (HAI) and hepatocyte expression of viral antigens with replicative status in asymptomatic chronic HBV infection...
- Association of mannose-binding lectin polymorphisms and HBV outcome in a South Indian populationG J Fletcher
Department of Gastrointestinal Sciences, Christian Medical College, Vellore, Tamil Nadu, India
Int J Immunogenet 37:177-84. 2010..Our results provide preliminary evidence that inheritance of codon 52 genotypes and XY/O haplotype associated with low MBL level substantially determine the outcome of HBV infection in a sympatrically isolated South Indian population...
- Intrahepatic collateral recanalization in symptomatic Budd-Chiari syndrome: a single-center experienceThomas Mammen
Department of Radiology, Christian Medical College and Hospital, Vellore, India
J Vasc Interv Radiol 21:1119-24. 2010..Based on these cases, intrahepatic collateral vessel recanalization is a promising treatment option in suitable patients with symptomatic BCS and is deserving of further study...
- Transjugular intrahepatic portocaval shunt placed through the strut of an inferior vena cava stent in a patient with Budd-Chiari syndrome: a technical modificationN R S Surendrababu
Department of Radiology, Christian Medical College and Hospital, Vellore, Tamil Nadu, India
Br J Radiol 83:e22-4. 2010..This novel technique of "strutplasty" of a previously placed stent as part of TIPS has not been reported in the literature...
- Relationship between clock and star drawing and the degree of hepatic encephalopathyNatasha Edwin
Christian Medical College, Vellore, Tamilnadu, India
Postgrad Med J 87:605-11. 2011..70 for star and at least 0.79 for the clock score. CONCLUSION Clock and star drawing may serve as reproducible, inexpensive bedside tools for diagnosing and grading the severity of hepatic encephalopathy...
- Transvenous embolization to treat uncontrolled hemobilia and peritoneal bleeding after transjugular liver biopsyChiramel George Koshy
Department of Radiology, Christian Medical College, Vellore, Tamil Nadu 632004, India
Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol 33:624-6. 2010..We describe a patient who developed uncontrolled hemobilia after a transjugular liver biopsy that required a transvenous approach for embolization and treatment purposes...
- Aetiology of paediatric portal hypertension - experience of a tertiary care centre in South IndiaEbby G Simon
Department of Gastrointestinal Sciences, Christian Medical College, Vellore 632004, Tamil Nadu, India
Trop Doct 39:42-4. 2009..Wilson's disease was the most common cause of cirrhosis...
- Hepatitis E superinfection produces severe decompensation in patients with chronic liver diseaseJeyamani Ramachandran
Departments of Gastrointestinal Sciences and Clinical Virology, Christian Medical College, Vellore, Tamilnadu, India
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 19:134-8. 2004..Seroprevalence studies showed that 44% of patients with chronic liver disease were at risk of developing hepatitis E. Hepatitis E vaccine, when available, is indicated for use in this group...
- Branding to treat jaundice in IndiaSelva Inita John
Department of Gastrointestinal Sciences, Christian Medical College and Hospital, Vellore 632004, India
Trop Gastroenterol 30:241-2. 2009..Our report suggests that despite being literate, strong cultural beliefs lead people to seek potentially harmful procedures like branding to treat jaundice in parts of India...
- Genetics of Wilson's disease: a clinical perspectiveS Suresh Kumar
Department of Hepatology, Christian Medical College, Vellore 632 004, Tamil Nadu, India
Indian J Gastroenterol 31:285-93. 2012..The non-Wilsonian copper overload syndromes causing cirrhosis in children are another important area for study. The review also identifies further areas for research into the genetics of Wilson's disease in India...
- Usefulness of ferroxidase activity of ceruloplasmin in the diagnosis of Wilson's diseaseJ J Fleming
Department of Clinical Biochemistry, CMC Vellore, 632 004 Tamil Nadu, India Department of Clinical Biochemistry, Christian Medical College, Vellore, 632004 Tamil Nadu, India
Indian J Clin Biochem 24:15-22. 2009..908, p < 0.01, slope 4.06, intercept 265.8, with the manual assay as the x-axis. The ferroxidase assay is a suitable replacement for the o-dianisidine assay in detecting patients with Wilson's disease...
- ATP7B mutations in families in a predominantly Southern Indian cohort of Wilson's disease patientsS Santhosh
Department of GI Sciences, Christian Medical College, Vellore, India
Indian J Gastroenterol 25:277-82. 2006..Identical WD phenotype among siblings in only 6 of 8 families with >1 child affected by WD suggests that factors other than ATP7B mutations influence WD phenotype...
- Favourable medium term outcome following hepatic vein recanalisation and/or transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt for Budd Chiari syndromeC E Eapen
Liver Unit, Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Birmingham B15 2TH, UK
Gut 55:878-84. 2006..CONCLUSION: Management of Budd Chiari syndrome by interventional radiology resulted in excellent medium term survival for patients in all categories of disease severity...
- Intussusception in southern Indian children: lack of association with diarrheal disease and oral polio vaccine immunizationT Raman
Department of Gastrointestinal Sciences, Christian Medical College Hospital, Vellore 632 004
Indian J Gastroenterol 22:82-4. 2003..These children presented later and required operative intervention more frequently than has been reported in other studies, but had a good outcome with low mortality...
- Liver function tests in normal pregnancy: a study from southern IndiaG Loganathan
Indian J Gastroenterol 24:268-9. 2005
- Serum and urinary fucose concentrations in hepatitis B-related cirrhosis and acute liver diseasesN Sathish Kumar
Clin Chim Acta 342:233-5. 2004
- Infrequent occurrence of silent HBV infection among Indian patients with chronic liver diseaseS Radhakrishnan
Department of Clinical Virology, Christian Medical College and Hospital, Vellore
Indian J Gastroenterol 20:87-9. 2001..Silent HBV infection is not associated with HCV-related CLD, which is in contrast to reports from other HBV-endemic areas in Asia...