Affiliation: Collegium Budapest
- Computational identification of obligatorily autocatalytic replicators embedded in metabolic networksAdám Kun
Collegium Budapest, Institute for Advanced Study, Szentháromság utca 2, Budapest H 1014, Hungary
Genome Biol 9:R51. 2008..We provide the first systems-level analysis searching for small-molecular autocatalytic components in the metabolisms of diverse organisms, including an inferred minimal metabolism...
- On origin of genetic code and tRNA before translationAndrei S Rodin
Human Genetics Center, School of Public Health, University of Texas, Houston, TX 77225, USA
Biol Direct 6:14. 2011....
- One ancestor for two codes viewed from the perspective of two complementary modes of tRNA aminoacylationAndrei S Rodin
Collegium Budapest, Institute for Advanced Study, Budapest, Hungary
Biol Direct 4:4. 2009..Accordingly, in this communication we focus on the acceptor stem...
- Genetic hitchhiking can promote the initial spread of strong altruismMauro Santos
Departament de Genetica i de Microbiologia, Grup de Biologia Evolutiva, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, 08193 Bellaterra, Barcelona, Spain
BMC Evol Biol 8:281. 2008....
- Prebiotic replicase evolution in a surface-bound metabolic system: parasites as a source of adaptive evolutionBalázs Könnyu
Institute of Biology, Eotvos University, Budapest, Hungary
BMC Evol Biol 8:267. 2008..In seeking for a scientific explanation one has to search for step-by-step evolutionary changes from prebiotic chemistry to the emergence of the first proto-cell...
- A new replicator: a theoretical framework for analysing replicationIstván Zachar
MTA ELTE Theoretical Biology and Ecology Research Group, Pázmány P sétány 1 C, H 1117 Budapest, Hungary
BMC Biol 8:21. 2010..Therefore, it is importance to decide the nature and characteristics of any multiplying entity, in a detailed and formal way...
- The origin of replicators and reproducersEors Szathmary
Collegium Budapest, Institute for Advanced Study, Hungary
Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci 361:1761-76. 2006..The stochastic corrector model shows how such a bag of genes can survive, and what the role of chromosome formation and intragenic recombination could be. Prebiotic and early evolution cannot be understood without the models of dynamics...
- Obituary: John Maynard Smith (1920-2004)Eors Szathmary
Collegium Budapest, Szentháromság utca 2, Budapest, Hungary
Nature 429:258-9. 2004
- From biological analysis to synthetic biologyEors Szathmary
Research Group of Theoretical Biology and Ecology, Eötvös University and Collegium Budapest, Hungary
Curr Biol 14:R145-6. 2004
- Why are there four letters in the genetic alphabet?Eors Szathmary
Institute for Advanced Study, Berlin
Nat Rev Genet 4:995-1001. 2003..Here, I argue that there are theoretical, experimental and computational reasons to believe that having four base types is a frozen relic from the RNA world, when RNA was genetic as well as enzymatic material...
- Coevolution of metabolic networks and membranes: the scenario of progressive sequestrationEors Szathmary
Collegium Budapest Institute for Advanced Study, 2 Szentháromság utca, 1014 Budapest, Hungary
Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci 362:1781-7. 2007....
- The origin of the genetic code: amino acids as cofactors in an RNA worldE Szathmary
Department of Plant Taxonomy and Ecology, Eotvos University, Budapest and Collegium Budapest, Szentháromság u 2, H 1014 Budapest, Hungary
Trends Genet 15:223-9. 1999..Recent experimental findings, including selection for ribozymes catalyzing peptide-bond formation and those utilizing an amino acid cofactor, hold promise that scenarios of this major transition can be tested...
- Evolution. Darwin for all seasonsEors Szathmary
Institute of Biology, Eötvös University Budapest, and Collegium Budapest Institute for Advanced Study, 2 Szentháromság utca, H 1014 Budapest, Hungary
Science 313:306-7. 2006
- From replicators to reproducers: the first major transitions leading to lifeE Szathmary
Department of Plant Taxonomy and Ecology, Eotvos University, Budapest, Hungary
J Theor Biol 187:555-71. 1997..We outline Griesemer's concept of a reproducer, which brings out the essential role of development in evolution...
- Survival of replicators with parabolic growth tendency and exponential decayI Scheuring
Department of Plant Taxonomy and Ecology, Research Group for Ecology and Theoretical Biology, Eotvos University, Ludovika ter 2, H 1083 Budapest, Hungary
J Theor Biol 212:99-105. 2001..Exponential decay acting on single- and double-strands, combined with parabolic growth, may or may not result in a dynamical coexistence of self-replicators...
- The evolution of replicatorsE Szathmary
Collegium Budapest Institute for Advanced Study, Hungary
Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci 355:1669-76. 2000..Memes in human culture are unlimited hereditary, phenotypic replicators, based on language. The typical path of evolution goes from limited to unlimited heredity, and from attractor-based to modular (digital) replicators...
- Lack of evolvability in self-sustaining autocatalytic networks constraints metabolism-first scenarios for the origin of lifeVera Vasas
Collegium Budapest, Institute for Advanced Study, H 1014 Budapest, Hungary
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107:1470-5. 2010....
- Real ribozymes suggest a relaxed error thresholdAdám Kun
Collegium Budapest, Institute for Advanced Study, Szentháromság u 2 Budapest H 1014, Hungary
Nat Genet 37:1008-11. 2005..Incidentally, this genome size coincides with that estimated for a minimal cell achieved by top-down analysis, omitting the genes dealing with translation...
- Dark Dune Spots: possible biomarkers on Mars?Tibor Gánti
Collegium Budapest, Institute for Advanced Study, Budapest, Hungary
Orig Life Evol Biosph 33:515-57. 2003..When the frost cover disappears MSOs go to a dormant, desiccated state. We propose further studies to be carried out by orbiters and landers travelling to Mars and by analysis of partial analogues on earth...
- In silico simulations reveal that replicators with limited dispersal evolve towards higher efficiency and fidelityPeter Szabo
Department of Plant Taxonomy and Ecology, Research Group of Ecology and Theoretical Biology, Eotvos University, 1 C Pázmány P sétány, H 1117 Budapest, Hungary
Nature 420:340-3. 2002....
- "Living" under the challenge of information decay: the stochastic corrector model vs. hypercyclesElias Zintzaras
Collegium Budapest, Institute for Advanced Study, Szentháromság u 2, H 1014, Budapest, Hungary
J Theor Biol 217:167-81. 2002..However, a population of SCM protocells can tolerate higher deleterious mutation rates and reaches an equilibrium mutational load lower than that in a population of HPC protocells...
- Selective scenarios for the emergence of natural languageSzabolcs Számadó
Collegium Budapest Institute for Advanced Study, Szentháromság u 2, H 1014, Budapest, Hungary
Trends Ecol Evol 21:555-61. 2006..Although individually none of these criteria are highly constraining, taken together they could provide a useful evolutionary framework for thinking about the evolution of human language...
- Analysis of dark albedo features on a southern polar dune field of MarsAndras Horvath
Collegium Budapest Institute for Advanced Study, Budapest, Hungary
Astrobiology 9:90-103. 2009....
- Origin of sex revisitedMauro Santos
Collegium Budapest, Institute for Advanced Study, Szentháromság u 2, Budapest, Hungary
Orig Life Evol Biosph 33:405-32. 2003..The scenario we have explored numerically is fully consistent with the idea that the universal ancestor was not a discrete entity but an ensemble of proto-organisms that exchanged much genetic information...
- In silico detection of tRNA sequence features characteristic to aminoacyl-tRNA synthetase class membershipEena Jakó
Theoretical Biology and Ecology Research Group of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences, Department of Plant Taxonomy and Ecology, Budapest, Hungary
Nucleic Acids Res 35:5593-609. 2007..The ECP analysis might contribute to the understanding of tRNA evolution and could enrich the sequence analysis tool repertoire...