- Exercise reinforcement, stress, and β-endorphins: An initial examination of exercise in anabolic-androgenic steroid dependence
Department of Psychiatry, Ichan School of School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY, USA Electronic address
Drug Alcohol Depend 139:86-92. 2014
..To test this hypothesis, 26 adult males drawn from a larger study on AAS use completed a progressive ratio task designed to examine the reinforcing value of exercise relative to financial reinforcer...
- Presence of muscle dysmorphia symptomology among male weightlifters
Department of Psychiatry, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, Piscataway, NJ 08854, USA
Compr Psychiatry 47:127-35. 2006
..Implications for studying body image disturbance in male weightlifters, and further evaluation of the MD diagnostic criteria are discussed...
- Predicting intentions for long-term anabolic-androgenic steroid use among men: a covariance structure model
Center of Alcohol Studies, Rutgers University, NJ, USA
Psychol Addict Behav 20:234-40. 2006
..The final model explained 29% of the variance in intentions for future AAS use. Mechanisms for sustained AAS use and implications for intervention and prevention strategies are discussed...
- Modeling population heterogeneity in appearance- and performance-enhancing drug (APED) use: applications of mixture modeling in 400 regular APED users
Eating and Weight Disorders Program, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY 10029, USA
J Abnorm Psychol 116:717-33. 2007
..Each of the 4 classes was associated with unique side effects, motivations, and participant use patterns. Implications for identifying pathological forms of APED use are discussed...
- Defining body deception and its role in peer based social comparison theories of body dissatisfaction
Eating and Weight Disorders Program, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, One Gustave L Levy Place, Box 1230, New York, NY 10029, USA
Body Image 5:299-306. 2008
..An integrated model for the role of body deception in body image disturbance is proposed...
- Cognitive-behavioural therapy for individuals with bulimia nervosa and a co-occurring substance use disorder
Columbia University, The New York State Psychiatric Institute, New York, NY 10032, USA
Eur Eat Disord Rev 17:89-100. 2009
..Future research should begin to evaluate the efficacy of an integrated CBT in treating individuals with BN and a SUD...
- Development and validation of a male specific body checking questionnaire
Department of Psychiatry, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY, USA
Int J Eat Disord 43:77-87. 2010
..Despite the importance of body checking, few measurements of this construct exist, particularly for males. This study describes the development and validation of the Male Body Checking Questionnaire (MBCQ)...
- Loss of control over eating reflects eating disturbances and general psychopathology
Janet D Latner
Department of Psychology, University of Hawaii at Manoa, Honolulu, HI 96822, USA
Behav Res Ther 45:2203-11. 2007
..SBEs may be an important target of treatment and should be considered for future diagnostic classifications of eating disorders...