- Design of a randomized controlled trial of a web-based intervention to reduce cardiovascular disease risk factors among remote reservation-dwelling American Indian adults with type 2 diabetes
Jeffrey A Henderson
Black Hills Center for American Indian Health, 701 St Joseph St, Suite 204, Rapid City, SD 57701, USA
J Prim Prev 33:209-22. 2012
..If effective, the LOWPK trial may serve as a guide for future chronic disease intervention trials in remote, technologically challenged settings...
- Prostate cancer incidence among American Indian and Alaska Native men, US, 1999-2004
Jeffrey A Henderson
Black Hills Center for American Indian Health, Rapid City, South Dakota 57701, USA
Cancer 113:1203-12. 2008
..To the authors' knowledge, little is known concerning prostate-specific antigen (PSA) testing in AI/AN men...
- Patterns of cigarette smoking initiation in two culturally distinct American Indian tribes
Patricia Nez Henderson
Black Hills Center for American Indian Health, 701 St Joseph Street, Suite 204, Rapid City, SD 57701, USA
Am J Public Health 99:2020-5. 2009
..To better understand patterns of initiation among American Indians we examined age-related patterns of smoking initiation during adolescence and young adulthood in 2 American Indian tribes...
- Changes in cardiovascular disease risk factors among American Indians. The Strong Heart Study
Thomas K Welty
Aberdeen Area Tribal Chairmen's Health Board, Rapid City, SD, USA
Ann Epidemiol 12:97-106. 2002
..CONCLUSIONS: Improvements in management and prevention of hypertension, diabetes, renal disease, and obesity, and programs to further reduce smoking and alcohol abuse, are urgently needed...
- Smoking cessation and its determinants among older American Indians: the Strong Heart Study
Patricia Nez Henderson
American Indian and Alaska Native Programs, Department of Psychiatry, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, Colorado, USA
Ethn Dis 14:274-9. 2004
..To examine the relationship between sociodemographic, clinical, and smoking history factors, and smoking cessation among older American Indians...
- Different factor loadings for SF36: the Strong Heart Study and the National Survey of Functional Health Status
American Indian and Alaska Native Programs, University of Colorado at Denver and Health Sciences Center, F800, P O Box 6508, Aurora, CO 80045, USA
J Clin Epidemiol 59:208-15. 2006
..To increase our understanding of the psychometric characteristics and factor structure of the SF36 in older American Indian populations...
- Gastric cancer among American Indians and Alaska Natives in the United States, 1999-2004
Charles L Wiggins
New Mexico Tumor Registry, University of New Mexico Cancer Center, Albuquerque, New Mexico 87131, USA
Cancer 113:1225-33. 2008
..Previous reports may have underestimated the true burden of gastric cancer in AI/AN populations because of misclassification of AI/AN race in cancer registries...
- Primary liver cancer incidence among American Indians and Alaska Natives, US, 1999-2004
Melissa A Jim
Division of Cancer Prevention and Control, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Cancer 113:1244-55. 2008
- Examination of lower targets for low-density lipoprotein cholesterol and blood pressure in diabetes--the Stop Atherosclerosis in Native Diabetics Study (SANDS)
Phoenix Indian Medical Center, Phoenix, AZ, USA
Am Heart J 152:867-75. 2006
- Bone mineral density of American Indian and Alaska Native women compared with non-Hispanic white women: results from the Women's Health Initiative Study
Nina S Wampler
Noqsi Research, Pine, CO 80470, USA
Menopause 12:536-44. 2005
..To compare bone mineral density (BMD) of American Indian/Alaska Native (AI/AN) women with that of non-Hispanic white women...
- Effect of lower targets for blood pressure and LDL cholesterol on atherosclerosis in diabetes: the SANDS randomized trial
Barbara V Howard
MedStar Research Institute, 6495 New Hampshire Ave, Suite 201, Hyattsville, MD 20783, USA
JAMA 299:1678-89. 2008
..Individuals with diabetes are at increased risk for cardiovascular disease (CVD), but more aggressive targets for risk factor control have not been tested...
- Utility of a surrogate measure of insulin resistance in American Indians: the Strong Heart Study
Helaine E Resnick
MedStar Research Institute, Washington, DC, USA
Ethn Dis 12:523-9. 2002
- The influence of community-based participatory research principles on the likelihood of participation in health research in American Indian communities
Tim D Noe
University of Colorado Health Science Center, American Indian and Alaska Native Programs, Aurora, CO 80045 0508, USA
Ethn Dis 17:S6-14. 2007
..However, to date, no systematic, empiric inquiry has been made into whether CBPR principles might influence an individual's decision to participate in research...