- Dolichoectasia-an evolving arterial disease
Evelyn F McKnight Brain Institute, Department of Neurology, Miller School of Medicine, University of Miami, 1120 NW 14th Street, Suite 1387, Miami, FL 33136, USA
Nat Rev Neurol 7:41-50. 2011
..In this article, we provide a comprehensive review of current knowledge regarding dolichoectasia, and highlight gaps in our knowledge to aid future research...
- Multiple sclerosis and Epstein-Barr virus: a growing association
Department of Neurology, Metropolitan Hospital Center, New York Medical College, USA
Rev Med Inst Mex Seguro Soc 46:639-42. 2008
..This review will focus on the role of viruses in multiple sclerosis etiology and give some insight regarding this complicated issue...
- [A dangerous combination for stroke in young patient: assimilation of the atlas and anti beta2-glycoprotein I antibodies]
Departamento de Medicina Interna, Hospital de Especialidades, Centro Medico Nacional Siglo XXI, Instituto Mexicano del Seguro Social, Distrito Federal, Mexico
Rev Med Inst Mex Seguro Soc 47:89-94. 2009
..We concluded that due to the turbulence created in the V3 segment of the vertebral artery surrounding the atlas, the presence of the anti beta2-glycoprotein was the cause of the infarction in this patient...
- Effect of beta blockers on sepsis outcome
Department of Medicine, New York Medical College, Valhalla, NY, USA
Med Sci Monit 15:CR499-503. 2009
..The aim of this study was to investigate weather beta blockers are associated with an increased mortality in sepsis...
- Subacute sclerosing panencephalitis: an update
Department of Neurology, Miller School of Medicine, University of Miami, Miami, FL 33136, USA
Dev Med Child Neurol 52:901-7. 2010
..However, the disease shows relentless progression; only 5% of individuals with SSPE undergo spontaneous remission, with the remaining 95% dying within 5 years of diagnosis...
- Dolichoectasia diagnostic methods in a multi-ethnic, stroke-free cohort: results from the northern Manhattan study
Department of Neurology, College of Physicians and Surgeons, Columbia University, New York, NY
J Neuroimaging 24:226-31. 2014
..Dolichoectasia (DE) is a vasculopathy that consists of abnormal elongation and dilatation of arteries. The objective of this study is to evaluate the frequency of DE in an unselected population and assess different diagnostic methods...
- Statin therapy in the prevention of recurrent cardiovascular events: a sex-based meta-analysis
Department of Neurology, Neurological Institute, Columbia University, New York, New York 10032, USA
Arch Intern Med 172:909-19. 2012
..Whether this protective effect is equal for women and men remains less well established. Our objective was to evaluate if statin therapy is equally effective in decreasing recurrent cardiovascular events in women and men...
- Circle of Willis configuration as a determinant of intracranial dolichoectasia
Department of Neurology, Columbia University Medical Center, New York, N Y, USA
Cerebrovasc Dis 36:446-53. 2013
..Circle of Willis (COW) variants might influence arterial caliber in the brain. We hypothesized that these variants would be associated with the prevalence of intracranial dolichoectasia (DE)...
- The contribution of HIV infection to intracranial arterial remodeling: a pilot study
Department of Neurology, College of Physicians and Surgeons, Columbia University, New York, New York 10032, USA
Neuropathology 33:256-63. 2013
..This association might be mediated by a thinner media layer. The reproduction of these results and the implications of this proposed pathophysiology merits further study...
- Cardiovascular profile and events of US adults 20-49 years with HIV: results from the NHANES 1999-2008
a Stroke Division, Department of Neurology, Columbia University Medical Center, New York, USA
AIDS Care 25:1385-91. 2013
..4, 95% CI 1.0-6.0) and diabetes (OR 4.1, 95% CI 1.1-16.1). These results underscore the need to further investigate the role of cardiovascular risk factors in the growing HIV population. ..
- High-dose atorvastatin enhances impaired cerebral vasomotor reactivity
Cardiac and Stroke Institute, Jackson Memorial Hospital, Miami, Florida, USA
J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis 21:487-92. 2012
..5 months after discontinuation of therapy. We found no benefit of atorvastatin therapy in patients with preserved baseline vasoreactivity...
- Short-term effect of atorvastatin on carotid artery elasticity: a pilot study
Elizabeth V Ratchford
Department of Medicine, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, USA
Stroke 42:3460-4. 2011
..This study examined the short-term effects of atorvastatin 80 mg daily on carotid elasticity measured by high-resolution B-mode ultrasound...