- Primary care patients' understanding of colorectal cancer screening
Kelsey Research Foundation, 5615 Kirby, Suite 660, Houston, TX 77054, USA
Cancer Detect Prev 30:67-74. 2006
- The role of prepartum motivation in the maintenance of postpartum smoking abstinence
Whitney L Heppner
Department of Health Disparities Research, University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77230, USA
Health Psychol 30:736-45. 2011
..The current study utilized multiple measures of prepartum motivation to maintain smoking abstinence to predict postpartum smoking abstinence...
- Cost effectiveness of interventions to promote screening for colorectal cancer: a randomized trial
School of Public Health, University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, Houston, USA
J Prev Med Public Health 44:101-10. 2011
- Do men know that they have had a prostate-specific antigen test? Accuracy of self-reports of testing at 2 sites
Evelyn C Y Chan
Biomedical Ethics, Division of General Internal Medicine, University of Texas Houston Medical School, 6431 Fannin, 1 122 MSB, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Am J Public Health 94:1336-8. 2004
..Concordance, sensitivity, and false-negative values were 65%, 67%, and 33%, respectively, at 1 clinic site and 88%, 64%, and 36% at the other. The accuracy of self-reports of PSA testing should be interpreted with caution...
- Reliability and validity of a questionnaire to measure colorectal cancer screening behaviors: does mode of survey administration matter?
Sally W Vernon
University of Texas Houston School of Public Health, Division of Health Promotion and Behavioral Sciences, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 17:758-67. 2008
..This study provides evidence to support the use of the National Cancer Institute CRCS questionnaire to assess self-report with any of the three survey modes...
- Mediators of the association of major depressive syndrome and anxiety syndrome with postpartum smoking relapse
Department of Health Disparities Research, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77230 1402, USA
J Consult Clin Psychol 80:636-48. 2012
..Based on conceptual models of addiction and affect regulation, this study examined the mechanisms linking current major depressive syndrome (MDS) and anxiety syndrome (AS) to postpartum smoking relapse...
- Ask-Advise-Connect: a new approach to smoking treatment delivery in health care settings
Jennifer Irvin Vidrine
Department of Health Disparities Research, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, 1400 Pressler St, Unit 1440, Houston, TX 77030, USA
JAMA Intern Med 173:458-64. 2013
..Advise. Refer. (AAR) programs. Unfortunately, rates of primary care referrals to quitlines are low, and most referred smokers fail to call for assistance...
- A randomized controlled trial of a tailored interactive computer-delivered intervention to promote colorectal cancer screening: sometimes more is just the same
Sally W Vernon
Division of Health Promotion and Behavioral Sciences, University of Texas School of Public Health, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Ann Behav Med 41:284-99. 2011
..There have been few studies of tailored interventions to promote colorectal cancer (CRC) screening...
- Estimating development cost for a tailored interactive computer program to enhance colorectal cancer screening compliance
David R Lairson
The University of Texas School of Public Health, Houston, TX 77030, USA
J Am Med Inform Assoc 13:476-84. 2006
..The findings from this study may aid decision makers in planning, assessing, budgeting, and pricing development of tailored interactive computer-based interventions...
- Outcomes from implementing systematic antepartum depression screening in obstetrics
Division of Management, Policy, and Community Health, School of Public Health, The University of Texas, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Arch Womens Ment Health 15:115-20. 2012
..Barriers to pursuing behavioral healthcare need to be discovered and addressed...
- Generalized anxiety disorder in older medical patients: diagnostic recognition, mental health management and service utilization
Menninger Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX, USA
J Clin Psychol Med Settings 16:178-85. 2009
..Objective To estimate physician diagnosis and recognition of anxiety and compare health service use among older adults with GAD with two comparison samples with and without other DSM diagnoses...
- Feasibility of an expressive-disclosure group intervention for post-treatment colorectal cancer patients: results of the Healthy Expressions study
Cindy L Carmack
Department of Behavioral Science, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77230 1439, USA
Cancer 117:4993-5002. 2011
..Thus, the authors developed and tested the efficacy of a 12-session combined written and verbal expression group program for psychologically distressed colorectal cancer (CRC) patients...
- Informed consent for cancer screening with prostate-specific antigen: how well are men getting the message?
Evelyn C Y Chan
Division of General Internal Medicine, University of Texas Houston Medical School, 6431 Fannin Street, 1 122 MSB, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Am J Public Health 93:779-85. 2003
..Because PSA screening for prostate cancer is controversial, professional organizations recommend informed consent for screening...
- Rapid method for determination of DNA repair capacity in human peripheral blood lymphocytes amongst smokers
Randa A El-Zein
Department of Epidemiology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas, USA
BMC Cancer 10:439. 2010
..It has been previously reported that smokers with low hOGG1 activity had significantly higher risk of developing lung cancer as compared to smokers with high hOGG1 activity...
- The influence of subjective social status on vulnerability to postpartum smoking among young pregnant women
Lorraine R Reitzel
Department of Health Disparities Research, M D Anderson Cancer Center, University of Texas, Houston, TX 77030 4009, USA
Am J Public Health 97:1476-82. 2007
..The goal was to identify how subjective social status might influence the risk for postpartum smoking and to elucidate targets for intervention...
- Determinants of treatment adherence in ethnically diverse, economically disadvantaged patients with rheumatic disease
Maria G Garcia Popa-Lisseanu
Department of Medicine, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas, USA
J Rheumatol 32:913-9. 2005
- Travel and travelers' diarrhea in patients with irritable bowel syndrome
Herbert L DuPont
University of Texas School of Public Health, Houston, TX, USA
Am J Trop Med Hyg 82:301-5. 2010
..Symptoms of established functional bowel disorder in each clinical category were shown to worsen after travel-related acute diarrhea...
- Randomized pilot test of a lifestyle physical activity intervention for breast cancer survivors
The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, USA
Patient Educ Couns 64:225-34. 2006
..The effect of the intervention on physical performance, quality of life, and physical activity are reported...