Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: University of Athens
- Vairaktaris E, Goutzanis L, Nkenke E, Spyridonidou S, Vassiliou S, Derka S, et al. Diabetes does not influence oral oncogenesis through fibroblast growth factor receptors. In Vivo. 2007;21:623-8 pubmed..In the last stages of oral oncogenesis, the expression of both proteins remained relatively stable. It seems that diabetes does not affect the FGFR-2 and FGFR-3 pattern of expression throughout the various stages of oral oncogenesis. ..
- Vairaktaris E, Yannopoulos A, Vassiliou S, Serefoglou Z, Vylliotis A, Nkenke E, et al. Strong association of interleukin-4 (-590 C/T) polymorphism with increased risk for oral squamous cell carcinoma in Europeans. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2007;104:796-802 pubmed..The present study in Europeans is not in accordance with a previous report of unclear association of this polymorphism in a Chinese population. ..
- Vairaktaris E, Vassiliou S, Yapijakis C, Spyridonidou S, Vylliotis A, Derka S, et al. Increased risk for oral cancer is associated with coagulation factor XIII but not with factor XII. Oncol Rep. 2007;18:1537-43 pubmed..Nevertheless, this thinner and less porous fibrin network inhibits cell migration. ..
- Vairaktaris E, Yapijakis C, Yiannopoulos A, Vassiliou S, Serefoglou Z, Vylliotis A, et al. Strong association of the tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinase-2 polymorphism with an increased risk of oral squamous cell carcinoma in Europeans. Oncol Rep. 2007;17:963-8 pubmed..These results indicate that this polymorphism could serve as a genetic marker for the susceptibility of cancer in the oral cavity. ..
- Vairaktaris E, Yapijakis C, Vasiliou S, Derka S, Nkenke E, Serefoglou Z, et al. Association of -1171 promoter polymorphism of matrix metalloproteinase-3 with increased risk for oral cancer. Anticancer Res. 2007;27:4095-100 pubmed..04-4.48 and OR 1.78, 95% CI 1.01-3.13, respectively). The results of this study suggest that the high expression 5A allele of the MMP-3 gene is associated with an increased risk for oral cancer in certain individuals. ..
- Vairaktaris E, Yapijakis C, Serefoglou Z, Avgoustidis D, Critselis E, Spyridonidou S, et al. Gene expression polymorphisms of interleukins-1 beta, -4, -6, -8, -10, and tumor necrosis factors-alpha, -beta: regression analysis of their effect upon oral squamous cell carcinoma. J Cancer Res Clin Oncol. 2008;134:821-32 pubmed publisher..Based on these findings and previous reports, possible stoichiometrical interactions of cytokines leading to OSCC development are discussed. ..
- Vairaktaris E, Moschos M, Vassiliou S, Kalimeras E, Avgoustidis D, Moschos M. Delayed appearance of diplopia due to orbital emphysema after repair of orbital fractures. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2008;106:e8-e10 pubmed publisher..Under local anesthesia, aspiration-decompression was performed using a 25-gauge needle. On the next day, the patient was free of pain, and 2 days after surgery the diplopia and exophthalmos resolved with no sequelae...
- Vairaktaris E, Serefoglou Z, Avgoustidis D, Yapijakis C, Critselis E, Vylliotis A, et al. Gene polymorphisms related to angiogenesis, inflammation and thrombosis that influence risk for oral cancer. Oral Oncol. 2009;45:247-53 pubmed publisher..Based on these findings and previous reports, possible interactions of the implicated factors leading to OSCC development, as well as an algorithm of risk estimation are discussed. ..
- Vairaktaris E, Yiannopoulos A, Vylliotis A, Yapijakis C, Derka S, Vassiliou S, et al. Strong association of interleukin-6 -174 G>C promoter polymorphism with increased risk of oral cancer. Int J Biol Markers. 2006;21:246-50 pubmed..001; Fisher's exact test). These findings suggest that the -174 G>C polymorphism, by affecting IL-6 gene expression, is strongly associated with oral oncogenesis...