Affiliation: University of Athens
- Cutaneous mucormycosisAnna Skiada
1st Department of Propedeutic Medicine, Athens University, Laikon General Hospital, M Asias 75, Goudi 11527, Athens, Greece
Skinmed 11:155-9; quiz 159-60. 2013..Mortality rates, although lower than in other forms of the disease, are significant, ranging from 4% to 10% when the infection is localized...
- Global epidemiology of cutaneous zygomycosisAnna Skiada
First Department of Propaedeutic Medicine, University of Athens, School of Medicine, Laikon General Hospital, M Asias 75, Goudi 11527, Athens, Greece
Clin Dermatol 30:628-32. 2012..The mortality of cutaneous zygomycosis is lower in comparison with other forms of the disease, but it is still significant. When the disease is localized, mortality still ranges from 4% to 10%...
- Cutaneous zygomycosisA Skiada
1st Department of Propaedeutic Medicine, Athens University, Athens, Greece
Clin Microbiol Infect 15:41-5. 2009..Treatment consists of surgical debridement, administration of antifungal agents (amphotericin B formulations and/or posaconazole) and, occasionally, hyperbaric oxygen. Mortality rates are approximately 30%...
- Zygomycosis in Europe: analysis of 230 cases accrued by the registry of the European Confederation of Medical Mycology (ECMM) Working Group on Zygomycosis between 2005 and 2007A Skiada
1st Department of Propaedeutic Medicine, Laikon General Hospital, National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, Athens, Greece
Clin Microbiol Infect 17:1859-67. 2011..005) and the administration of caspofungin prior to diagnosis (p 0.011). In conclusion, zygomycosis remains a highly lethal disease. Administration of amphotericin B and surgery, where feasible, significantly improve survival...
- Disseminated zygomycosis with involvement of the central nervous systemA Skiada
1st Department of Propedeutic Medicine, Athens University, Athens, Greece
Clin Microbiol Infect 15:46-9. 2009..Disseminated zygomycosis with cerebral involvement is a fatal disease. Early recognition and prompt intervention with combined medical and surgical treatment may improve the outcome...
- Serum bactericidal activity of three different dosing regimens of colistin with implications for optimum clinical useG L Daikos
First Department of Propaedeutic Medicine, University of Athens, Athens, Greece
J Chemother 22:175-8. 2010..these findings indicate that the currently used dosing regimens might not provide the most effective therapy with CMS and justify administering larger dosages in longer intervals...
- Mucormycosis: ten-year experience at a tertiary-care center in GreeceG Petrikkos
Laiko General Hospital, First Department of Propaedeutic Medicine, Infectious Diseases Laboratory G K Daikos, Athens University, 17 Agiou Thoma Street, 115 27 Athens, Greece
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 22:753-6. 2003..The severity of the patient's underlying condition, the degree of immunosuppression, and prompt surgical treatment are the most important factors contributing to the outcome...
- Native valve Aspergillus endocarditis in two patients with aplastic anaemiaG L Petrikkos
First Department of Propedeutic Internal Medicine, Laiko General Hospital, Athens University, Athens, Greece
Scand J Infect Dis 38:916-20. 2006..The diagnosis was made by Duke's criteria in 1 case and by histology in the other. Surgery was precluded owing to profound thrombocytopenia. Both patients had fatal outcome despite administration of liposomal amphotericin beta...
- Epidemiology of mucormycosis in EuropeG Petrikkos
4th Department of Internal Medicine, School of Medicine, National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, University General Hospital Attikon, Athens, Greece
Clin Microbiol Infect 20:67-73. 2014..As early diagnosis can significantly affect the initiation of treatment and decrease mortality, future research should focus on the development of an epidemiological risk assessment tool and novel diagnostic methods...
- Efficacy of teicoplanin, administered in two different regimens, in the treatment of experimental endocarditis due to Enterococcus faecalisJ Pavleas
Intensive Care Unit, Laikon General Hospital, Athens, Greece
J Chemother 20:208-12. 2008..These findings may have meaning for the optimum use of teicoplanin in the treatment of enterococcal endocarditis...