Affiliation: University of Athens
- Television watching at Greek paediatric hospitalsVasiliki Matziou
Faculty of Nursing, National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, 123 Papadiamadopoulou Street, 11527 Athens, Greece
Eur J Pediatr 165:811-2. 2006..The study investigated the television watching habits of children in hospital compared with those at home and the factors which influence them...
- Greek students' knowledge and sources of information regarding sex educationV Matziou
National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, Athens, Greece
Int Nurs Rev 56:354-60. 2009..Human sexuality is a complex part of life and is considered a multidimensional phenomenon. Therefore there is an increased need for adequate and comprehensive sex education, especially for teenagers and young adults...
- What Greek mothers know about evaluation and treatment of fever in children: an interview studyVasiliki Matziou
School of Nursing, National and Capodistrian University of Athens, 123 Papadiamantopoulou St, Athens 11527, Greece
Int J Nurs Stud 45:829-36. 2008..Fever is one of the most common symptoms in childhood. Mothers' insufficient knowledge about its evaluation and treatment frequently leads to excessive fear and anxiety...
- Evaluating depression in a sample of children and adolescents with cancer in GreeceV Matziou
Faculty of Nursing, National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, Athens, Greece
Int Nurs Rev 55:314-9. 2008..Several studies have found that serious illness increases the risk of depression. One of the most common psychiatric disorders related to the diagnosis and treatment of cancer is depression...
- Cancer in childhood: children's and parents' aspects for quality of lifeVasiliki Matziou
National and Kapodestrian University of Athens, Faculty of Nursing, GR 115 27, Athens, Greece
Eur J Oncol Nurs 12:209-16. 2008....
- Predictors of childhood exposure to parental secondhand smoke in the house and family carVassiliki Mantziou
National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, Department of Nursing, Athens, Greece
Int J Environ Res Public Health 6:433-44. 2009..R 1.38 95%C.I: 1.04-1.84, p=0.026). Conclusively, efforts must be made to educate parents on the effects of home and household car exposure to SHS, where smoke free legislation may be difficult to apply...
- Changes in children's fatigue during the course of treatment for paediatric cancerP Perdikaris
General Children s Hospital P and A Kyriakou, Athens, Greece
Int Nurs Rev 55:412-9. 2008..Fatigue is described as one of the most distressing symptoms of cancer therapy; yet it has received limited clinical attention. Children are suffering from a symptom that is under-diagnosed during their treatment...
- Attitudes of nurse professionals and nursing students towards children with disabilities. Do nurses really overcome children's physical and mental handicaps?V Matziou
Faculty of Nursing, National and Kapodistrian, University of Athens, Athens, Greece
Int Nurs Rev 56:456-60. 2009..Many health professionals and nurses, who are involved in the care of disabled children, do not exhibit the essential sensitivity and appropriate attitudes towards them, resulting in a poor quality of nursing care...
- Parent's adherence to children's home-accident preventive measuresK Tsoumakas
National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, Greece
Int Nurs Rev 56:369-74. 2009..To investigate parents' knowledge and practice of preventive measures concerning children's home accidents, as well as the factors affecting adherence...
- Modification of nursing students' performance in blood pressure measurement: an educational retraining programmeH Brokalaki
Hellenic Nurses Association, Medical Nursing, Nursing Faculty, National and Capodistrian University, Athens, Greece
Int Nurs Rev 55:187-91. 2008..To assess the procedure for measuring blood pressure (BP) among nursing students after the basic educational programme and after further supplementary training...
- Job-related stress among nursing personnel in Greek dialysis unitsH Brokalaki
National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, Greece
EDTNA ERCA J 27:181-6. 2001..In conclusion, we can say that working in DU and PDU provokes increased stress in nursing personnel, even though the implicated stress factors differ between these units...
- Complications of Hickman-Broviac catheters in children with malignanciesPantelis Perdikaris
Pediatric Oncology Unit, P and A Kyriakou General Children s Hospital, Athens, Greece
Pediatr Hematol Oncol 25:375-84. 2008..Systemic use of CVC does not appear to increase significantly the number of complications, and thus CVC remains an effective and safe tool for the management of childhood malignancies...
- Parents' knowledge and attitudes about preventing injuries in motor vehicle accidents in children in GreeceKonstantinos Tsoumakas
Department of Pediatrics, Aghlaia Kyriakou Children s Hospital, Athens, Greece
Traffic Inj Prev 9:129-34. 2008....
- Antibiotic and O2 omissions and errors in hospitalized patientsHero Brokalaki
National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, Faculty of Nursing, Athens, Greece
J Nurs Care Qual 23:86-91. 2008..Oxygen errors were significantly higher in the General Hospital. The study confirmed that medication processes should be reevaluated to prevent medication errors, and educational programs and protocols should be used...
- Increased sensitization in urban vs. rural environment--rural protection or an urban living effect?Kostas N Priftis
Department of Allergy Pneumonology, Penteli Children s Hospital, Athens, Greece
Pediatr Allergy Immunol 18:209-16. 2007..The negative association between rural living and the risk of atopy during childhood, which is independent of farming practices, implies that it is mainly driven by an urban living effect...