Affiliation: University of Athens
- Chronic myeloid leukaemia with marked thrombocytosis in a patient with thalassaemia major: complete haematological remission under the combination of hydroxyurea and anagrelideErsi Voskaridou
Unit of Thalassaemia, Laikon General Hospital, Athens, Greece
Br J Haematol 116:155-7. 2002..The administration of hydroxyurea was also associated with a significant HbF increase...
- Concordant fetal hemoglobin response to hydroxyurea in siblings with sickle cell diseaseMartin H Steinberg
Boston University School of Medicine, Room 211, 88 E Newton Street, Boston, MA 02118, USA
Am J Hematol 72:121-6. 2003..Our results provide additional evidence that some elements that regulate HbF expression are linked to the beta-globin gene cluster...
- Reduction of the clinical severity of sickle cell/beta-thalassemia with hydroxyurea: the experience of a single center in GreeceD Loukopoulos
First Department of Medicine, University of Athens, 115 27 Athens, Greece
Blood Cells Mol Dis 26:453-66. 2000....
- Valproic acid, trichostatin and their combination with hemin preferentially enhance gamma-globin gene expression in human erythroid liquid culturesP Marianna
First Department of Medicine, University of Athens, Laikon Hospital, Greece
Haematologica 86:700-5. 2001..In this study we tested the effect of valproic acid and trichostatin, alone or in combination with hemin, on gamma chain synthesis in human erythroid liquid cultures...
- Functional role of the four different types of (AT)(x)T(y) motifs 5' to the beta-globin gene and their distribution in the Greek populationVassiliki Kalotychou
First Department of Medicine, University of Athens School of Medicine, Greece
Blood Cells Mol Dis 28:39-46. 2002..On the basis of these results, we postulate that the (AT)9T5 and (AT)11T3 variants residing 0.5 kb 5' to the -globin gene do not represent simple polymorphisms and can affect its expression in an erythroid environment...
- Deferiprone as an oral iron chelator in sickle cell diseaseErsi Voskaridou
Thalassemia Center, Laikon General Hospital, 16 Sevastoupoleos Street, 11526, Athens, Greece
Ann Hematol 84:434-40. 2005..These results suggest that deferiprone may effectively decrease the iron deposition in patients with SCD; moreover, T2 MRI proves to be a reliable and rapid, noninvasive method for assessing the liver iron load in patients with SCD...
- The effect of prolonged administration of hydroxyurea on morbidity and mortality in adult patients with sickle cell syndromes: results of a 17-year, single-center trial (LaSHS)Ersi Voskaridou
Thalassemia Center, Laikon General Hospital, GR 11526 Athens, Greece
Blood 115:2354-63. 2010..These results highlight the beneficial effect of HU, which seems to modify the natural history of SCD and raise the issue of expanding its use in all SCD patients...
- Increased CD177 (PRV1) expression in thalassaemia and the underlying erythropoietic activityKaterina Zoi
Haematology Research Laboratory, Biomedical Research Foundation, Academy of Athens, Athens, Greece
Br J Haematol 141:100-4. 2008..Within this context, elevated CD177 expression is not only a specific feature of PV but may be an indicator of increased erythropoietic activity in thalassaemia syndromes...
- Magnetic resonance imaging in the evaluation of iron overload in patients with beta thalassaemia and sickle cell diseaseErsi Voskaridou
Thalassaemia Centre, Laikon General Hospital, 16 Sevastoupoleos Street, GR 11526 Athens, Greece
Br J Haematol 126:736-42. 2004....
- Pamidronate is an effective treatment for osteoporosis in patients with beta-thalassaemiaErsi Voskaridou
Thalassaemia Centre, Laikon General Hospital, Athens, Greece
Br J Haematol 123:730-7. 2003..These data suggest that pamidronate, at a monthly dose of 30 mg, is an effective treatment for thalassaemic osteoporosis...
- Danazol therapy for thrombocytopenia in patients with myelodysplastic syndromesNora Viniou
First Department of Internal Medicine, University of Athens School of Medicine, Laikon General Hospital, Athens, Greece
Acta Haematol 107:234-6. 2002
- Leukemogenic risk of hydroxyurea therapy as a single agent in polycythemia vera and essential thrombocythemia: N- and K-ras mutations and microsatellite instability in chromosomes 5 and 7 in 69 patientsDespina Mavrogianni
First Department of Internal Medicine, Laikon General Hospital, University of Athens, Greece
Int J Hematol 75:394-400. 2002....
- Acute Aspergillosis gastritis in a case of fatal aplastic anemiaKostas Konstantopoulos
First Department of Medicine, Athens University Medical School, Greece
Scand J Infect Dis 34:148-9. 2002..A rare case of stomach perforation following acute aspergillosis gastritis in the course of a fatal severe aplastic anemia is reported...
- Clonal analysis of granulocyte-monocyte colony-forming unit cells with the human androgen receptor gene in chronic myeloid leukemiaSalem Akel
First Department of Medicine, University of Athens School of Medicine, Athens, Greece
Int J Hematol 77:476-81. 2003....
- Analysis of the A(TA)(n)TAA configuration in the promoter region of the UGT1 A1 gene in Greek patients with thalassemia intermedia and sickle cell diseaseVassiliki Kalotychou
First Department of Medicine, University of Athens School of Medicine, Laikon General Hospital, 11527, Athens, Greece
Blood Cells Mol Dis 31:38-42. 2003....
- Factors mediating lipofection potency of a series of cationic phosphonolipids in human cell linesDaphne Koumbi
First Department of Medicine, University of Athens, School of Medicine, Athens, Greece
Biochim Biophys Acta 1760:1151-9. 2006..Human A gamma- and epsilon-globin transgene nuclear incorporation and expression in 5637 cells post GLB.391-mediated lipofection lends credence to its use as a vehicle of therapeutic transgene delivery...
- Haemoglobinopathies in Greece: prevention programme over the past 35 yearsDimitris Loukopoulos
University of Athens and Biomedical Research Foundation of the Academy of Athens, Athens, Greece
Indian J Med Res 134:572-6. 2011....
- Arthropathy in juvenile hemochromatosisGeorge Vaiopoulos
University of Athens Medical School, Athens, Greece
Arthritis Rheum 48:227-30. 2003..To evaluate whether arthropathy is associated with juvenile hemochromatosis and, if so, to assess the relationship between this feature and other clinical features of the disease...
- Elastic tissue abnormalities resembling pseudoxanthoma elasticum in beta thalassemia and the sickling syndromesAthanasios Aessopos
First Department of Internal Medicine, University of Athens, School of Medicine, Laiko General Hospital, Athens, Greece
Blood 99:30-5. 2002..Because several organ systems are involved, each medical specialty should be aware of the phenomenon. This coexistence, on the other hand, introduces a novel pathogenetic aspect of PXE and an important research challenge...
- Mutant antimicrobial peptide hepcidin is associated with severe juvenile hemochromatosisAntonella Roetto
Department of Clinical and Biological Sciences, University of Torino, Azienda Ospedaliera San Luigi, 10043 Orbassano, Torino, Italy
Nat Genet 33:21-2. 2003..Here we report the identification of two mutations (93delG and 166C-->T) in HAMP on 19q13 in two families with a new type of juvenile hemochromatosis...