Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: University of Athens
- Uneventful octreotide LAR therapy throughout three pregnancies, with favorable delivery and anthropometric measures for each newborn: a case reportDeeb Daoud Naccache
Institute of Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism, Rambam Health Campus and Rappaport Faculty of Medicine, Technion, Haifa, Israel
J Med Case Reports 5:386. 2011..abstract:..
- Classification and pathology of pituitary tumorsGeorge Kontogeorgos
Department of Pathology, G Gennimatas Athens General Hospital, Athens, Hellas
Endocrine 28:27-35. 2005..Morphologic separation of adenoma from carcinoma is not feasible. The term pituitary carcinoma should be exclusively applied when cerebrospinal and/or systemic metastases are definite...
- Morphologic changes of prolactin-producing pituitary adenomas after short treatment with dopamine agonistsGeorge Kontogeorgos
Department of Pathology, G Gennimatas Athens General Hospital, KOFKA Bldg, 1st Floor, 154 Messogion Avenue, 115 27, Athens, Greece
Acta Neuropathol 111:46-52. 2006..These novel findings represent characteristic features of short-term dopamine agonist treatment, which are not seen in long-term treatment...
- Predictive markers of pituitary adenoma behaviorGeorge Kontogeorgos
Department of Pathology and Pituitary Tumor Reference Center, G Gennimatas General Hospital of Athens, Athens, Greece
Neuroendocrinology 83:179-88. 2006..Finally, in the near future, immunohistochemistry for somatostatin receptors will be a very important application...
- Ganglion cell containing pituitary adenomas: signs of neuronal differentiation in adenoma cellsGeorge Kontogeorgos
Department of Pathology, 1st Floor KOFKA Bldg, 154 Messogion Ave, 115 27, Athens, Greece
Acta Neuropathol 112:21-8. 2006..The presence of NFP in pituitary adenomas indicates neuronal differentiation in adenoma cells, suggesting a common origin for neuronal and pituitary adenoma cell elements in gangliocytomas...
- Molecular cytogenetics of pituitary adenomas, assessed by FISH techniqueGeorge Kontogeorgos
Department of Pathology, G Gennimatas Athens General Hospital, Athens, Greece
Front Horm Res 32:205-16. 2004..This review presents the principles and applications of FISH technique for the investigation of the cytogenetic background of pituitary adenomas...
- Prolactin-producing pituitary adenoma with incomplete neuronal transformation: an intermediate adenoma-neuronal tumorEleni Thodou
Departments of Pathology, 1G. Gennimatas General Hospital of Athens, KOFKA Building, 1st Floor, 154 Messogion Ave, 115 27, Athens, Greece
Acta Neuropathol (Berl) 108:115-20. 2004..Our case is the first PRL-producing pituitary adenoma showing incomplete neuronal differentiation lacking mature ganglion cells...
- Intra-sellar schwannoma co-existing with GH-secreting pituitary adenomaMaria Koutourousiou
Department of Neurosurgery, G Gennimatas Athens General Hospital, Greece
Acta Neurochir (Wien) 151:1693-7. 2009..We present a unique example of an intra-sellar schwannoma co-existing with a growth hormone (GH)-secreting pituitary adenoma...
- Pituitary corticotroph adenoma containing many apoptotic cells: a histologic, immunohistochemical, ultrastructural and molecular studyIrene Messini
Department of Pathology, G. Gennimatas, Athens General Hospital, Greece
Ultrastruct Pathol 26:27-32. 2002....
- Case report: Primary pituitary non-Hodgkin's lymphoma developed following surgery and radiation of a pituitary macroadenomaLabrini Papanastasiou
Department of Endocrinology and Diabetes Center, G Genimatas General Hospital, Athens, Greece
Hormones (Athens) 11:488-94. 2012..The possible association of primary CNS lymphoma development with the history of operated and irradiated pituitary adenoma is herein discussed...
- Non-adenomatous sellar lesions: experience of a single centre and review of the literatureMaria Koutourousiou
Department of Neurosurgery, G Gennimatas, Athens General Hospital, Athens, Greece
Neurosurg Rev 33:465-76. 2010..Pituitary surgeons should be aware of their existence to reconstruct treatment strategy, proceeding to adjuvant therapy when necessary...
- Growth factors and cytokines in paragangliomas and pheochromocytomas, with special reference to sustentacular cellsGeorge Kontogeorgos
Department of Laboratory Medicine and Pathology, St Michael s Hospital, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Endocr Pathol 13:197-206. 2002..The significance of these observations regarding paracrine activities of chief and sustentacular cells remains to be determined...
- Galectin-3 as a marker distinguishing functioning from silent corticotroph adenomasEleni Thodou
Department of Pathology and Pituitary Tumor Reference Center, G Gennimatas Athens General Hospital, Athens, Greece
Hormones (Athens) 6:227-32. 2007..The aim of this study was to disclose differences in the expression of Gal-3 in silent and functioning corticotroph pituitary adenomas...
- Thyrotoxic periodic paralysis as the first manifestation of a thyrotropin-secreting pituitary adenomaTheodora Pappa
Department of Endocrinology and Diabetes Center, Athens General Hospital G Gennimatas, Athens, Greece
Hormones (Athens) 9:82-6. 2010..Despite its rarity, TSH-secreting pituitary adenoma should be included in the differential diagnosis of TPP...
- Collision sellar lesions: experience with eight cases and review of the literatureMaria Koutourousiou
Department of Neurosurgery, G Gennimatas Athens General Hospital, 154 Messogion Ave, 115 27, Athens, Greece
Pituitary 13:8-17. 2010..Suggested hypotheses about a common embryonic origin or a potential interaction between pituitary adenomas and the immune system are presented...
- EZH2 is regulated by ERK/AKT and targets integrin alpha2 gene to control Epithelial-Mesenchymal Transition and anoikis in colon cancer cellsAngelo Ferraro
Laboratory of Signal Mediated Gene Expression, Institute of Biology, Medicinal Chemistry and Biotechnology, National Hellenic Research Foundation, Athens, 11635, Greece
Int J Biochem Cell Biol 45:243-54. 2013..Our results show how deregulation of epigenetic factors and mechanisms can affect cancer cell aggressiveness and propose EZH2 as a potential metastasis marker and/or therapeutic target for colorectal cancer treatment...
- Immunohistochemical localization of interleukin-6 in peripheral human endocrine glandsGeorge Kontogeorgos
Department of Pathology, G Genimatas Athens General Hospital, Greece
Endocrine 17:135-40. 2002..In conclusion, IL-6 immunoreactivity is present in almost all the human endocrine glands and it expressed in a cell-specific manner. These observations provide further support for the existence of local immune-endocrine interactions...
- Carcinoid syndrome and carcinoid crisis secondary to a metastatic carcinoid tumour of the lung: a therapeutic challengeDimitrios Papadogias
Department of Endocrinology and Diabetes, IASO Hospital, Athens, Greece
Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 19:1154-9. 2007....
- Correlation of bcl-2 and bax with apoptosis in human pituitary adenomasDemetrios Sambaziotis
Department of Pathology G Gennimatas General Hospital, Athens, Greece
Pituitary 6:127-33. 2003..05), as compared with functioning adenomas and macroadenomas respectively. In conclusion, our findings suggest that bcl-2 and bax molecules play a role in the regulation of apoptotic mechanisms in pituitary adenomas...
- Somatostatin and dopamine receptor profile of gastroenteropancreatic neuroendocrine tumors: an immunohistochemical studyEvanthia Diakatou
Department of Pathology, G Gennimatas Athens General Hospital, 154 Mesogeion Avenue, 115 27 Athens, Greece
Endocr Pathol 22:24-30. 2011..The co-expression of sstrs and D2R in a significant number of the studied cases offers a potential therapeutic alternative for GEP-NETs...
- TRAIL receptor upregulation and the implication of KRAS/BRAF mutations in human colon cancer tumorsEftychia Oikonomou
Laboratory of Signal Mediated Gene Expression, Institute of Biological Research and Biotechnology, National Hellenic Research Foundation, Athens, Greece
Int J Cancer 125:2127-35. 2009..Furthermore, oncogenic mutations may directly or indirectly enhance DR expression, potentially sensitizing these tumors to TRAIL-based therapies...
- Preoperative imaging and localization of small sized insulinoma with EUS-guided fine needle tattoing: a case reportGeorge N Zografos
Third Department of Surgery, Athens General Hospital, Athens, 115 27, Greece
Hormones (Athens) 4:111-6. 2005..Histology confirmed the presence of an endocrine tumour staining for chromogranin A and insulin. The patient had an uneventful postoperative recovery and has developed no further episodes of hypoglycemia 3 years after surgery...
- Lymphocytic hypophysitis: late recurrence following successful transsphenoidal surgeryStylianos Tsagarakis
Department of Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism Evangelismos Hospital, and 2nd Department of Radiology, University of Athens, Athens, Greece
Endocrine 25:85-90. 2004....
- Innovations and controversies in the WHO classification of pituitary adenomasGeorge Kontogeorgos
Acta Neuropathol 111:73-5. 2006
- Tumors metastatic to the pituitary gland: case report and literature reviewJohn Komninos
Department of Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism, Evangelismos General Hospital, 10676 Athens, Greece
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 89:574-80. 2004..The relevant literature is reviewed in light of this unusual case, illustrating the problems in the diagnosis and management of patients with metastasis to the pituitary...
- Morphology, molecular regulation and significance of apoptosis in pituitary adenomasNikiforos Kapranos
Department of Molecular Pathology, Mitera Maternity and Surgical Center, G. Gennimatas General Hospital of Athens, Greece
Front Horm Res 32:217-34. 2004..This review presents the principles of apoptosis and summarizes the morphologic and functional changes of apoptosis in pituitary...
- Clinical review: Diagnosis and management of pituitary carcinomasGregory A Kaltsas
Department of Endocrinology, St. Bartholomew's Hospital, London ECIA 7BE, United Kingdom
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 90:3089-99. 2005..However, we do not believe there will be any real prospect of long-term survival until the development and use of therapies targeted at specific molecular abnormalities...
- Familial bilateral acinic cell carcinoma of the parotid synchronous with pituitary adenoma: case reportAlexander Delides
Department of Otolaryngology, Athens Medical Center, Distomou 5 7, Marousi, 151 25 Athens, Greece
Head Neck 27:825-8. 2005..Acinic cell carcinoma is a common neoplasm of the salivary glands that occurs predominately in the parotid. Only one case of a familial recurrence of such a neoplasm and 16 cases of bilateral tumors have been reported...