Affiliation: University of Athens
- Validation of the Infectious Diseases Society of America/American Thoracic Society criteria to predict severe community-acquired pneumonia caused by Streptococcus pneumoniaePaschalina Kontou
Division of Pulmonary Critical Care, G Papanikolaou Hospital, Thessaloniki, Greece
Am J Emerg Med 27:968-74. 2009..In this study, the 2007 Infectious Diseases Society of America/American Thoracic Society (IDSA/ATS) consensus criteria for ICU admission were compared with other severity scores in predicting ICU admission and mortality...
- Pharmacokinetics of ciprofloxacin and its penetration into bronchial secretions of mechanically ventilated patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary diseasePaschalina Kontou
A Intensive Care Unit, G Papanikolaou Hospital, Exohi, Thessaloniki 57010, Greece
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 55:4149-53. 2011..There is wide interindividual variability in its pharmacokinetic parameters in critically ill COPD patients and inadequate pharmacodynamic exposure against bacteria with MICs of ≥0.5 μg/ml...
- Pharmacokinetics of moxifloxacin and high-dose levofloxacin in severe lower respiratory tract infectionsPaschalina Kontou
A Intensive Care Unit, G Papanikolaou Hospital, Thessaloniki, Greece
Int J Antimicrob Agents 42:262-7. 2013..They ensure optimal pharmacodynamic exposure against the majority of microbes involved in these infections. However, the predicted efficacy against Gram-negative bacteria with MICs ≥ 0.5 mg/L appears to be low...
- Moxifloxacin pharmacokinetics and pleural fluid penetration in patients with pleural effusionKalliopi Chatzika
Respiratory Infections Unit, Pulmonary Department, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, G Papanikolaou Hospital, Thessaloniki, Greece
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 58:1315-9. 2014..However, in both groups, the degree of MXF PF penetration and the on-site drug exposure, expressed by AUC24PF, did not differ according to the type of pleural effusion...
- Sarcoidosis-associated pulmonary hypertension: a role for endothelin receptor antagonists?Georgia G Pitsiou
Respiratory Failure Unit, G Papanikolaou Hospital, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki, Greece
Ther Adv Respir Dis 3:99-101. 2009..Addition of bosentan, a dual endothelin receptor antagonist, resulted in marked improvement in functional class and exercise capacity of the patient, allowing gradual tapering of steroids...
- Monitoring changes in quality of life in patients with lung cancer by using specialised questionnaires: implications for clinical practiceHellie Lithoxopoulou
Pulmonary Department Oncology Unit, G Papanikolaou Hospital, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki, 57010, Greece
Support Care Cancer 22:2177-83. 2014..Quality of life (QoL) in lung cancer patients is overlooked due to the severity of the disease. Changes in factors comprising QoL need further exploration to determine therapy targets...
- Lemierre's syndrome presenting to the ED: rapidly fatal sepsis caused by methicillin-susceptible Staphylococcus aureus Staphylococcus protein A type t044Georgia Pitsiou
Respiratory Failure Unit, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, G H G Papanikolaou, Exohi, Thessaloniki, 57010, Greece
Am J Emerg Med 31:268.e5-7. 2013..Recognition of such virulent community-acquired strains is of great importance because they could prove to be emerging pathogens for life-threatening diseases...