Affiliation: University of Athens
- Validation of the Infectious Diseases Society of America/American Thoracic Society criteria to predict severe community-acquired pneumonia caused by Streptococcus pneumoniaePaschalina Kontou
Division of Pulmonary Critical Care, G Papanikolaou Hospital, Thessaloniki, Greece
Am J Emerg Med 27:968-74. 2009..In this study, the 2007 Infectious Diseases Society of America/American Thoracic Society (IDSA/ATS) consensus criteria for ICU admission were compared with other severity scores in predicting ICU admission and mortality...
- Pharmacokinetics of ciprofloxacin and its penetration into bronchial secretions of mechanically ventilated patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary diseasePaschalina Kontou
A Intensive Care Unit, G Papanikolaou Hospital, Exohi, Thessaloniki 57010, Greece
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 55:4149-53. 2011..There is wide interindividual variability in its pharmacokinetic parameters in critically ill COPD patients and inadequate pharmacodynamic exposure against bacteria with MICs of ≥0.5 μg/ml...
- Inhaled tyrosine kinase inhibitors for pulmonary hypertension: a possible future treatmentGeorgia Pitsiou
Pulmonary Department, G Papanikolaou General Hospital, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki, Greece
Drug Des Devel Ther 8:1753-63. 2014..12 μm, respectively). Erlotinib and imatinib can be administered as an aerosols, and further in vivo experimentation is necessary to investigate the positive effects of these drugs in the treatment of pulmonary hypertension. ..
- Optimization of nebulized delivery of linezolid, daptomycin, and vancomycin aerosolPaul Zarogoulidis
Pulmonary Department Oncology Unit, G Papanikolaou General Hospital, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki, Greece
Drug Des Devel Ther 8:1065-72. 2014..At this time, several antibiotics have been investigated as possibilities for aerosol administration, but local therapy has been found to be more efficient in several diseases...
- Pharmacokinetics of moxifloxacin and high-dose levofloxacin in severe lower respiratory tract infectionsPaschalina Kontou
A Intensive Care Unit, G Papanikolaou Hospital, Thessaloniki, Greece
Int J Antimicrob Agents 42:262-7. 2013..They ensure optimal pharmacodynamic exposure against the majority of microbes involved in these infections. However, the predicted efficacy against Gram-negative bacteria with MICs ≥ 0.5 mg/L appears to be low...
- Moxifloxacin pharmacokinetics and pleural fluid penetration in patients with pleural effusionKalliopi Chatzika
Respiratory Infections Unit, Pulmonary Department, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, G Papanikolaou Hospital, Thessaloniki, Greece
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 58:1315-9. 2014..However, in both groups, the degree of MXF PF penetration and the on-site drug exposure, expressed by AUC24PF, did not differ according to the type of pleural effusion...
- Sarcoidosis-associated pulmonary hypertension: a role for endothelin receptor antagonists?Georgia G Pitsiou
Respiratory Failure Unit, G Papanikolaou Hospital, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki, Greece
Ther Adv Respir Dis 3:99-101. 2009..Addition of bosentan, a dual endothelin receptor antagonist, resulted in marked improvement in functional class and exercise capacity of the patient, allowing gradual tapering of steroids...
- Monitoring changes in quality of life in patients with lung cancer by using specialised questionnaires: implications for clinical practiceHellie Lithoxopoulou
Pulmonary Department Oncology Unit, G Papanikolaou Hospital, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki, 57010, Greece
Support Care Cancer 22:2177-83. 2014..Quality of life (QoL) in lung cancer patients is overlooked due to the severity of the disease. Changes in factors comprising QoL need further exploration to determine therapy targets...
- Lemierre's syndrome presenting to the ED: rapidly fatal sepsis caused by methicillin-susceptible Staphylococcus aureus Staphylococcus protein A type t044Georgia Pitsiou
Respiratory Failure Unit, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, G H G Papanikolaou, Exohi, Thessaloniki, 57010, Greece
Am J Emerg Med 31:268.e5-7. 2013..Recognition of such virulent community-acquired strains is of great importance because they could prove to be emerging pathogens for life-threatening diseases...