Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: University of Athens
- Identification of women for referral to colposcopy by neural networks: a preliminary study based on LBC and molecular biomarkersPetros Karakitsos
Department of Cytopathology, Medical School ATTIKON University Hospital, University of Athens, 12462 Athens, Greece
J Biomed Biotechnol 2012:303192. 2012..03%. The use of the LVQ-NN with cytology and the proposed biomarkers improves significantly the correct classification of cervical precancerous lesions and/or cancer and may facilitate diagnosis and patient management...
- Oral squamous cell cancer: early detection and the role of alcohol and smokingAnna G Zygogianni
Kapodistrian University of Athens, Greece
Head Neck Oncol 3:2. 2011..Oral squamous cell carcinoma has a remarkable incidence worldwide and a fairly onerous prognosis, encouraging further research on factors that might modify disease outcome...
- A preliminary study of the potential of tree classifiers in triage of high-grade squamous intraepithelial lesionsPetros Karakitsos
Department of Cytopathology, University of Athens Medical School, Attikon University Hospital
Anal Quant Cytol Histol 33:132-40. 2011..To investigate the potential value of tree classifiers for the triage of high-grade squamous intraepithelial lesions...
- Systematic analysis of proteins from different signaling pathways in the tumor center and the invasive front of colorectal cancerEva Karamitopoulou
Second Department of Pathology, University of Athens, 12464 Athens, Greece
Hum Pathol 42:1888-96. 2011....
- Study on the reproducibility of thyroid lesions telecytology diagnoses based upon digitized imagesJohn Georgoulakis
Department of Cytopathology, University of Athens, Medical School, Attikon University Hospital, Athens, Greece
Diagn Cytopathol 39:495-9. 2011....
- Assessment of static telecytological diagnoses' reproducibility in cervical smears prepared by means of liquid-based cytologyThomas Tsilalis
Department of Cytopathology, 401 General Army Hospital, Athens, Greece
Telemed J E Health 18:516-20. 2012..This study evaluated the accuracy and reproducibility of telecytological diagnoses proffered on the basis of digitized images from cervical smears prepared by means of liquid-based cytology...
- Comparison of two commercially available methods for HPV genotyping: CLART HPV2 and Linear Array HPV Genotyping testsAikaterini Chranioti
Department of Cytopathology, School of Medicine, National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, University General Hospital Attikon, Rimini, Chaidari, Athens, Greece
Anal Quant Cytol Histol 34:257-63. 2012..The CLART HPV2 test, a novel HPV test based on DNA microarrays that can identify 35 HPV genotypes, was compared to the Linear Array HPV Genotyping (LA) test, a more widely used test able to identify 37 HPV genotypes...
- Cascaded learning vector quantizer neural networks for the discrimination of thyroid lesionsAlexandra Varlatzidou
Department of Surgery, Attikon University Hospital, University of Athens Medical School, Athens, Greece
Anal Quant Cytol Histol 33:323-34. 2011..To investigate capability of combination of learning vector quantizer (LVQ) neural networks (NNs) in discrimination of benign from malignant thyroid lesions...
- P53Arg72 homozygosity and its increased incidence in left-sided sporadic colorectal adenocarcinomas, in a Greek-Caucasian populationAnastasios Dakouras
Department of Histology and Embryology, School of Medicine, University of Athens, Greece
Anticancer Res 28:1039-43. 2008..The distribution of its alleles, in relation to many clinical parameters of the cancer group, was also investigated...
- Cell cycle analysis of colorectal brushings collected in liquid-based cytologyAris Spathis
Department of Cytopathology, University General Hospital Attikon, School of Medicine, National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, Athens, Greece
Anal Quant Cytol Histol 33:29-35. 2011..To evaluate the possibility of robust cell cycle analysis from liquid-based cytology samples...
- Clinical performance of human papillomavirus E6, E7 mRNA flow cytometric assay compared to human papillomavirus DNA typingChristine Kottaridi
Department of Cytopathology, Attikon University Hospital, Athens University Medical School, 1 Rimini Street, 12462 Chaidari, Athens, Greece
Anal Quant Cytol Histol 33:305-10. 2011..To use flow cytometry to screen cervical samples for the overexpression of human papillomavirus (HPV) E6 and E7 mRNA and compare the performance of this assay with an HPV DNA array for the detection of high-grade cervical lesions...
- The diagnostic accuracy of two methods for E6&7 mRNA detection in women with minor cytological abnormalitiesGeorge Koliopoulos
3rd Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Attikon University Hospital, Athens, Greece
Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand 91:794-801. 2012..To examine the diagnostic accuracy of nucleic acid sequence based amplification (NASBA) and flow cytometry for E6&7 human papillomavirus (HPV) mRNA detection in the triage of minor cytological abnormalities...
- Promoter methylation of p16(INK4A), hMLH1, and MGMT in liquid-based cervical cytology samples compared with clinicopathological findings and HPV presenceAris Spathis
Department of Cytopathology, University General Hospital Attikon, School of Medicine, Rimini 1, Chaidari, 12462 Athens, Greece
Infect Dis Obstet Gynecol 2011:927861. 2011..Overall accuracy of methylation is much lower than traditional diagnostic tests ranking it as an ancillary technique with more data needed to identify the exact value of methylation status in cervical carcinogenesis...
- Systematic assessment of protein phenotypes characterizing high-grade tumour budding in mismatch repair-proficient colorectal cancerEva Karamitopoulou
Second Department of Pathology, University of Athens, Attikon University Hospital, Rimini 1, Haidari, Athens, Greece
Histopathology 57:233-43. 2010..The aim of this study was to identify potential multi-marker phenotypes characterizing low- and high-grade budding in mismatch repair (MMR)-proficient colorectal cancer...
- mRNA and DNA detection of human papillomaviruses in women of all ages attending two colposcopy clinicsAris Spathis
Department of Cytopathology, University General Hospital Attikon, School of Medicine, National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, Chaidari, Greece
PLoS ONE 7:e49205. 2012..The aim of this study was to examine the efficacy of HPV DNA and mRNA testing in a population attending colposcopy units of two University hospitals...
- Vascular endothelial growth factor polymorphisms in gastric cancer development, prognosis, and survivalNikolaos Tzanakis
4th Surgical Department, Attikon Hospital, University of Athens, Athens, Greece
J Surg Oncol 94:624-30. 2006..Angiogenesis plays an important role in growth, progression, and metastasis of tumors. Vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) overexpression has been associated with advanced stage and poor survival in several cancers...
- Arterial stiffness and novel biomarkers in patients with abdominal aortic aneurysmsNikolaos P E Kadoglou
2nd Department of Cardiology, Attikon University Hospital, Athens, Greece
Regul Pept 179:50-4. 2012..We investigated the association of PWV with the aforementioned novel biomarkers in patients with abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA)...
- Hybrid capture vs. PCR screening of cervical human papilloma virus infections. Cytological and histological associations in 1270 womenSotirios Tsiodras
Department of Cytopathology, Attikon University Hospital, University of Athens Med, Sch, Athens, Greece
BMC Cancer 10:53. 2010..We evaluated two molecular methods of HPV detection and their correlation with cytological and histological diagnosis in a large sample of Greek women...
- DNA ploidy and immunomarking of bladder urothelial tumors before and after intravesical bacillus Calmette-GuÃ©rin treatmentAspasia Kyroudi-Voulgari
Department of Histology and Embryology, University of Athens Medical School, Athens, Greece
Anal Quant Cytol Histol 27:52-60. 2005..CONCLUSION: These findings suggest that only proliferation index has predictive value for recurrence and progression in UCC treated with BCG...
- KRAS and BRAF mutation analysis from liquid-based cytology brushings of colorectal carcinoma in comparison with formalin-fixed, paraffin-embedded tissueAris Spathis
Department of Cytopathology, University General Hospital Attikon, School of Medicine, National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, Rimini 1, 12462, Chaidari, Greece
Anticancer Res 30:1969-75. 2010....
- Dasatinib inhibits proliferation and induces apoptosis in the KASUMI-1 cell line bearing the t(8;21)(q22;q22) and the N822K c-kit mutationVassiliki E Mpakou
Second Department of Internal Medicine and Research Institute, Attikon University Hospital, Rimini 1, Haidari, Athens 12462, Greece
Leuk Res 37:175-82. 2013..These data further encourage the integration of dasatinib in the treatment of CBF AML with c-kit mutations in the context of clinical trials, which are eagerly anticipated...
- The impact of endograft type on inflammatory response after endovascular treatment of abdominal aortic aneurysmKonstantinos G Moulakakis
Department of Vascular Surgery, University of Athens, Attikon Hospital, Athens, Greece
J Vasc Surg 57:668-77. 2013..To evaluate the impact of endograft type on the inflammatory response after elective endovascular repair of abdominal aortic aneurysms...
- Evaluation of a multiplex real time reverse transcription PCR assay for the detection and quantitation of the most common human rotavirus genotypesChristine Kottaridi
Department of Cytopathology, Attikon University Hospital, Athens University Medical School, Athens, Greece
J Virol Methods 180:49-53. 2012..7%), G1P (10.9%), G2P (5.4%), G9P (2.2%). This new assay described has an acceptable sensitivity (low limit 6.3×10(2)copies/g of stool)...
- Telecytology: a tool for quality assessment and improvement in the evaluation of thyroid fine-needle aspiration specimensStavros Archondakis
Department of Cytopathology, 401 General Army Hospital, Athens, Greece
Telemed J E Health 15:713-7. 2009..Besides diagnostic accuracy, the implementation of a diagnostic telecytology system requires consideration of numerous financial, legal, professional, and ethical issues...
- Evaluation of the role of the new INNOVANCE PFA P2Y test cartridge in detection of clopidogrel resistanceArgirios Tsantes
Laboratory of Haematology and Blood Bank Unit, Attikon University Hospital, School of Medicine, National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, Athens, Greece
Platelets 23:481-9. 2012..However, the modest agreement among platelet function methods makes the performance of platelet function testing crucial with more than one technique in order to reliably identify poor responders to clopidogrel treatment...
- Relation between common polymorphisms in genes related to inflammatory response and colorectal cancerGeorge Theodoropoulos
1st Propaideutic Surgical Department, Hippocration University Hospital, University of Athens, Greece
World J Gastroenterol 12:5037-43. 2006....
- Potential of radial basis function neural networks in discriminating benign from malignant lesions of the lower urinary tractPetros Karakitsos
Department of Cytopathology, Attikon University Hospital, Athens, Greece
Anal Quant Cytol Histol 27:35-42. 2005..Application of RBF offers good classification at the nuclear and patient level and promises to become a powerful tool for everyday practice in the cytologic laboratory...