Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: University of Thessaly
- Factors affecting the quality of life after total knee arthroplasties: a prospective studyIppolyti Papakostidou
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Thessalia, Larissa, Greece
BMC Musculoskelet Disord 13:116. 2012..The purpose of the study is to evaluate the self-reported outcomes in the first year after primary total knee arthroplasty (TKA), and to determine factors influencing the quality of life (QoL) 6 weeks, 3, 6, and 12 months after TKA...
- Acetabular reconstruction in patients with low and high dislocation: 20- to 32-year survival of an impaction grafting technique (named cotyloplasty)Th Karachalios
University Hospital of Larissa, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, PerioxiMezourto, Larissa 41110, Greece
Bone Joint J 95:887-92. 2013..1% (95% CI 49.4 to 62.8), when 22 hips remained at risk. These long-term results are considered satisfactory for the reconstruction of an acetabulum presenting with inadequate bone stock and circumferential segmental defects...
- The clinical performance of a small diameter tibial nailing system with a mechanical distal aiming deviceT Karachalios
Orthopaedic Department, Faculty of Medicine, School of Health Studies, University of Thessaly, Papakiriazi 22, 41222 Larissa, Greece
Injury 31:451-9. 2000..We conclude that this nailing system is clinically effective and that distal locking can be performed easily, without exposure to radiation...
- Congenital hip disease in adults: terminology, classification, pre-operative planning and managementT Karachalios
Orthopaedic Department Faculty of Medicine, School of Health Sciences, University of Thessalia, Larissa 41110, Greece
J Bone Joint Surg Br 92:914-21. 2010....
- A mid-term clinical outcome study of the Advance Medial Pivot knee arthroplastyTheofilos Karachalios
Department of Orthopaedics, School of Medicine, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Thessalia, Larissa, Hellenic Republic, Greece
Knee 16:484-8. 2009..This study demonstrates satisfactory mid-term clinical results for this knee design...
- Total knee replacement performed with either a mini-midvastus or a standard approach: a prospective randomised clinical and radiological trialTh Karachalios
Orthopaedic Department School of Medicine, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Thessaly, 22 Papakyriazi Street, Larissa 41222, Greece
J Bone Joint Surg Br 90:584-91. 2008..08). Technical errors were identified in six patients from group A (12%) on radiological evaluation. Based on these results, the authors currently use minimally-invasive techniques in total knee replacement in selected cases only...
- The effects of the short-term administration of low therapeutic doses of anti-COX-2 agents on the healing of fractures. An experimental study in rabbitsT Karachalios
Orthopaedic Department, School of Medicine, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Thessaly, Larisa, Greece
J Bone Joint Surg Br 89:1253-60. 2007..Our findings indicated that the short-term administration of low therapeutic doses of a highly selective COX-2 inhibitor had a minor negative effect on bone healing...
- Hip osteoarthritis: what the radiologist wants to knowTheofilos Karachalios
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, School of Health Sciences, University of Thessaly, Papakiriazi 22, Larissa 41222, Greece
Eur J Radiol 63:36-48. 2007..The present article will review all the clinical information on the hip OA together with an updated radiological approach, with emphasis on the early depiction and the differential diagnosis of the disease...
- MR imaging findings in early osteoarthritis of the kneeTheofilos Karachalios
Othopaedic Department, University of Thessaly, University Hospital of Larissa, Papakiriazi 22, Hellenic Republic, Larissa 41222, Greece
Eur J Radiol 50:225-30. 2004..To carry out a modern diagnostic survey among patients with a clinical and radiological diagnosis of early osteoarthritis of the knee...
- Pain pattern in multiple vertebral hemangiomas involving non-adjacent levels: report of two casesD S Korres
Department of Orthopaedics, Athens University, KAT Hospital, Greece
Eur Spine J 9:256-60. 2000..Multifocal location of back pain in patients with a known vertebral hemangioma may be considered a relative indication for the presence of multiple non-adjacent level lesions...
- Diagnostic accuracy of a new clinical test (the Thessaly test) for early detection of meniscal tearsTheofilos Karachalios
Orthopaedic Department, School of Medicine, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Thessaly, 22 Papakyriazi Street, Larissa 41222, Hellenic Republic, Greece
J Bone Joint Surg Am 87:955-62. 2005..The objective of this study was to evaluate the diagnostic accuracy of a new dynamic clinical examination test for the detection of meniscal tears...
- Reconstruction of a neglected posterior dislocation of the shoulder through a limited posterior deltoid-splitting approach. A case reportT Karachalios
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University Hospital of Larissa, Larissa, Hellenic Republic, Greece
J Bone Joint Surg Am 87:630-4. 2005
- Trimalleolar fracture with a double fragment of the posterior malleolus: a case report and modified operative approach to internal fixationT Karachalios
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Thessaly, Hellenic Republic, Athens, Greece
Foot Ankle Int 22:144-9. 2001..A modified transmalleolar operative approach for internal fixation is recommended when dealing with such complex trimalleolar fractures of the ankle...
- Survivorship of monoblock trabecular metal cups in primary THA : midterm resultsKonstantinos N Malizos
Orthopaedic Department, University of Thessalia, Larissa, Greece
Clin Orthop Relat Res 466:159-66. 2008..Our midterm results suggest this implant may enhance fixation, but long-term followup is needed to confirm our findings...
- Bone mineral density and genetic markers involved in three connected pathways (focal adhesion, actin cytoskeleton regulation and cell cycle): the CUMAGAS-BMD information systemElias Zintzaras
Department of Biomathematics, University of Thessaly School of Medicine, Larissa, Greece
Biomarkers 16:698-708. 2011..In meta-analysis, significant results were shown for the variants COL1A1 rs1800012 (in lumbar spine and femoral neck), COL1A1 rs1107946 (in lumbar spine), TGFB1 rs1982073 (in femoral neck and hip) and TGFB1 rs1800469 (in lumbar spine)...
- An anatomical update on the morphologic variations of S1 and S2Theofilos Karachalios
Department of Orthopedics, School of Health Sciences, University of Thessalia, Larissa, Hellenic Republic kar med uth gr
Orthopedics 33:733. 2010....
- A "biologic technique" for the treatment of a disruption of the extensor mechanism after revision total knee arthroplasty: a case reportNikolaos Roidis
Orthopaedic Department, University of Thessaly, Papakyriazi 22, 41222 Larissa, Greece
Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc 16:661-5. 2008..After the procedure, the patient who previously had been dependent on a walker was able to walk without a cane. The above mentioned technique provided good functional outcome in our case...
- Correlation of pQCT bone strength index with mechanical testing in distraction osteogenesisConstantinos Kokoroghiannis
5th Orthopaedic Department, KAT Hospital, 2 Nikis Street, Kifisia, 14561, Athens, Greece
Bone 45:512-6. 2009....
- Eight years' clinical experience with the Orthofix tibial nailing system in the treatment of tibial shaft fracturesGeorge C Babis
First Department of Orthopaedics, Athens University Medical School, KAT Accident Hospital, 2 Nikis Str, 14651 Kiffisia, Athens, Greece
Injury 38:227-34. 2007..In conclusion, most tibial shaft fractures can effectively and safely be treated using this type of locking intramedullary nailing device, with relatively few complications, and with satisfactory long-term clinical results...
- The long-term clinical relevance of calcar atrophy caused by stress shielding in total hip arthroplasty: a 10-year, prospective, randomized studyTheofilos Karachalios
Orthopaedic Department, University of Thessaly, Larisa, Hellenic Republic, Greece
J Arthroplasty 19:469-75. 2004..We suggest that the clinical and theoretical relevance of the stress-shielding phenomenon in THA has been overestimated in the literature...
- Does electric stimulation of the vastus medialis muscle influence rehabilitation after total knee replacement?Kyriakos Avramidis
Department of Orthopedics, Larissa General Hospital, Larissa, Hellenic Republic
Orthopedics 34:175. 2011..No skin reactions and surgical site infections were observed. Electrical stimulation of the vastus medialis muscle in addition to conventional physiotherapy improves functional recovery and early rehabilitation after TKR...
- Current concepts and controversies in the management of radial head fracturesNikolaos T Roidis
Department of Orthopedics, University of Thessaly, 34 Akronos St, Larissa 41447, Hellenic Republic, Greece
Orthopedics 29:904-16; quiz 917-8. 2006
- Synopsis and meta-analysis of genetic association studies in osteoporosis for the focal adhesion family genes: the CUMAGAS-OSTEOporosis information systemElias Zintzaras
Department of Biomathematics, University of Thessaly School of Medicine, Larissa, Greece
BMC Med 9:9. 2011..To clarify these data, a systematic assessment of GASs for FA genes in osteoporosis was conducted...
- The catabolic role of toll-like receptor 2 (TLR-2) mediated by the NF-κB pathway in septic arthritisIoanna Papathanasiou
Medical School, Laboratory of Cytogenetics and Molecular Genetics, University of Thessaly, Larissa, Greece
J Orthop Res 29:247-51. 2011..Modulation of TLR-mediated signaling may be a potential therapeutic strategy for the prevention of postinfectious cartilage degradation in articular joints...
- Field synopsis and synthesis of genetic association studies in osteoarthritis: the CUMAGAS-OSTEO information systemElias Zintzaras
Department of Biomathematics, University of Thessaly School of Medicine, 2 Panepistimiou Street, Biopolis, Larissa 41110, Greece
Am J Epidemiol 171:851-8. 2010..CUMAGAS-OSTEO may be a useful tool for identifying pertinent gene-osteoarthritis associations and providing an updated summary of risk effects...
- The below-the-ankle circular frame: A new technique for the treatment of displaced calcaneal fracturesKonstantinos N Malizos
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University Hospital of Larissa, Larissa, Greece
J Foot Ankle Surg 45:295-9. 2006
- Punitive limb amputationAnna Mavroforou
Department of Medical Deontology and Ethics, School of Health Sciences, Faculty of Medicine, University of Thessalia, Larissa, Greece
Clin Orthop Relat Res 472:3102-6. 2014..Limb amputation has been carried out through the ages as a punitive method in various parts of the world. This article highlights the historical and societal background associated with the use of punitive limb amputation...
- The effect of osteoporotic treatment on the functional outcome, re-fracture rate, quality of life and mortality in patients with hip fractures: a prospective functional and clinical outcome study on 520 patientsKonstantinos G Makridis
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, School of Health Sciences, Faculty of Medicine, University of Thessalia, CERETETH, University General Hospital of Larissa, Mezourlo Region, 41110 Larissa, Greece Electronic address
Injury 46:378-83. 2015..Osteoporotic treatment taken before or initiated after fracture is a strong predictor of functional and clinical outcome in patients with hip fractures treated surgically. ..