Emmanuel E Douzinas
Affiliation: University of Athens
- Hypoxemic reperfusion after 120 mins of intestinal ischemia attenuates the histopathologic and inflammatory responseEmmanuel E Douzinas
Department of Critical Care, University of Athens Medical School, Athens, Greece
Crit Care Med 32:2279-83. 2004..CONCLUSIONS: Hypoxemic reperfusion represents an intervention that may attenuate the triggering of multifactorial cascade and organ tissue injury...
- Hypoxaemic reperfusion ameliorates the histopathological changes in the pig brain after a severe global cerebral ischaemic insultE E Douzinas
Department of Critical Care, Evangelismos Hospital, Athens, Greece
Intensive Care Med 27:905-10. 2001..In the present study, we investigated the effect of hypoxaemic reperfusion on brain histopathological changes...
- Myocardial ischemia in intestinal postischemic shock: the effect of hypoxemic reperfusionEmmanuel E Douzinas
Departmentof Critical Care, University of Athens Medical School, Greece
Crit Care Med 31:2183-9. 2003..The purpose of the current study is to clarify the pathophysiology of this type of shock and to test the hypothesis that hypoxemic compared with normoxemic reperfusion improves hemodynamics...
- Effect of percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy on gastro-esophageal reflux in mechanically-ventilated patientsEmmanuel E Douzinas
Department of Critical Care, Evangelismos Hospital, Athens 10675, Greece
World J Gastroenterol 12:114-8. 2006..To investigate the effect of percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy (PEG) on gastroesophageal reflux (GER) in mechanically-ventilated patients...
- The effect of hypoxemic resuscitation from hemorrhagic shock on blood pressure restoration and on oxidative and inflammatory responsesEmmanuel E Douzinas
Evgenidion Hospital, 20 Papadiamantopoulou Street, Athens, Greece
Intensive Care Med 34:1133-41. 2008..We investigated whether hypoxemic resuscitation from hemorrhagic shock prevents the late circulatory instability and attenuates the oxidative and inflammatory responses associated with the standard strategy...
- The effect of hypoxemic resuscitation of hemorrhagic shock on hemodynamic stabilization and inflammatory response: a pilot study in a rat experimental modelEmmanuel E Douzinas
Department of Critical Care, University of Athens Medical School, Athens, Greece
J Trauma 61:918-23. 2006..Resuscitation of hemorrhagic shock is associated with tissue injury. The effect of hypoxemia during resuscitation was investigated...
- Stimulation of monocytes is a pathway involved in systemic inflammatory response following haemorrhagic shock resuscitation: the effect of hypoxaemic resuscitationE E Douzinas
3rd Department of Critical Care, University of Athens Medical School, Athens, Greece
Clin Exp Immunol 150:502-8. 2007..Lower stimulation of the p38 MAPK-mediated production of IL-1beta, IL-6 and IL-8 by monocytes may be implicated as an explanation for the benefits shown for the host when resuscitation is performed under hypoxaemic conditions...
- Nitrosative and oxidative stresses contribute to post-ischemic liver injury following severe hemorrhagic shock: the role of hypoxemic resuscitationEmmanuel E Douzinas
3rd Department of Critical Care Medicine, University of Athens Medical School, Athens, Greece
PLoS ONE 7:e32968. 2012..Hemorrhagic shock and resuscitation is frequently associated with liver ischemia-reperfusion injury. The aim of the study was to investigate whether hypoxemic resuscitation attenuates liver injury...
- Hypoxemic resuscitation from hemorrhagic shock prevents lung injury and attenuates oxidative response and IL-8 overexpressionEmmanuel E Douzinas
Third Department of Critical Care Medicine, University of Athens Medical School, Evgenidio Hospital, Athens 115 28, Greece
Free Radic Biol Med 50:245-53. 2011..We conclude that hypoxemic resuscitation from hemorrhagic shock ameliorates lung injury and reduces oxygen radical generation and lung IL-8 expression...
- Reasons of PEG failure to eliminate gastroesophageal reflux in mechanically ventilated patientsEmmanuel E Douzinas
3rd Department of Critical Care, Evgenidion Hospital, University of Athens Medical School, Athens 115 28, Greece
World J Gastroenterol 15:5455-60. 2009..To investigate factors predicting failure of percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy (PEG) to eliminate gastroesophageal reflux (GER)...
- Hypoxemic resuscitation prevents pulmonary capillary endothelial dysfunction induced by normoxemic resuscitation from hemorrhagic shockEmmanuel E Douzinas
3rd Department of Critical Care, Metaxa Cancer Hospital, Piraeus, Greece
Crit Care Med 37:869-75. 2009..In this study, we sought to investigate the effect of hypoxemic resuscitation on pulmonary endothelium...
- High concentrations of reactive oxygen species in the BAL fluid are correlated with lung injury in rabbits after hemorrhagic shock and resuscitationMarios Konstantinos Tasoulis
Third Department of Critical Care Medicine, Athens University School of Medicine, Athens, Greece
Tohoku J Exp Med 219:193-9. 2009..In conclusion, ROS in the BAL fluid are good markers that predict lung injury following hemorrhagic shock and resuscitation...
- Administration of human protein C improves survival in an experimental model of sepsisEvangelos Messaris
Laboratory of Surgical Research, First Department of Propaedeutic Surgery, Athens University Medical School, Hippokratio General Hospital, Athens, Greece
Crit Care Med 38:209-16. 2010..Study the effect of human protein C (PC) concentrate administration on organ damage and survival in septic rats...
- Hypoxemic resuscitation after hemorrhagic shock is accompanied by reduced serum levels of angiopoietin-2Emmanuel E Douzinas
3rd Department of Critical Care, University of Athens Medical School, Greece
Cytokine 47:82-4. 2009..To investigate whether angiopoietin-2 (Ang2) and vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) are implicated in the hypoxemic resuscitation from hemorrhagic shock...
- Ampicillin-sulbactam: an update on the use of parenteral and oral forms in bacterial infectionsAlex P Betrosian
Athens University, Evgenidion Hospital, 3rd Department of Critical Care, Greece
Expert Opin Drug Metab Toxicol 5:1099-112. 2009..baumannii infections for carbapenem-resistant strains in the nosocomial setting. Thus, ampicillin-sulbactam remains a valuable agent in the physician's armamentarium in the management of adult and pediatric infections...
- Neutrophil CD64 expression and serum IL-8: sensitive early markers of severity and outcome in sepsisOlga Livaditi
3rd (Evgenidion Hospital, Department of Critical Care, University of Athens Medical School, 20 Papadiamantopoulou St, Athens, 115 28, Greece
Cytokine 36:283-90. 2006..Based on this single measurement it is possible to reliably assess the stage, detect the severity and predict the 28-day mortality of sepsis...
- Monocytes as a site of production of soluble triggering receptor expressed on myeloid cells-1 (sTREM-1) in the septic hostDiamantis Plachouras
Fourth Department of Internal Medicine, University of Athens Medical School, Greece
Scand J Infect Dis 38:909-15. 2006..In essence, the above results suggest that monocytes contribute to the production of sTREM-1 in the event of septic syndrome...
- Oral atovaquone for the treatment of severe Pneumocystis jirovecii pneumonia in a patient with glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiencyEmmanuel E Douzinas
3rd Department of Critical Care, Athens University, Evgenidion Hospital, 20 Papadiamantopoulou Str, Athens, Greece
Scand J Infect Dis 42:76-8. 2010..She was successfully treated with oral atovaquone and ganciclovir. Atovaquone represents a safe alternative in severe Pneumocystis infection when trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole (co-trimoxazole) is contraindicated...
- Grouping of patients with common variable immunodeficiency based on immunoglobulin biosynthesis: comparison with a classification system on CD4-naïve cellsOlga Livaditi
3rd Department of Critical Care, University of Athens, Medical School, Greece
Immunol Lett 114:103-9. 2007..Our proposal is that both should be used for the characterization of patients with CVID...
- Acute renal dysfunction in liver diseasesAlex P Betrosian
Third Department of Critical Care, Athens University, Evgenidion Hospital, Papadiamantopoulou 20, Athens 11528, Greece
World J Gastroenterol 13:5552-9. 2007..Continuous renal replacement therapy (CRRT) and molecular absorbent recirculating system (MARS) in selected patients may be life saving while awaiting liver transplantation...
- Efficacy and safety of high-dose ampicillin/sulbactam vs. colistin as monotherapy for the treatment of multidrug resistant Acinetobacter baumannii ventilator-associated pneumoniaAlex P Betrosian
3rd Department of Critical Care, Athens University, Evgenidion Hospital, Papadiamantopoulou 20, Athens, Greece
J Infect 56:432-6. 2008..To compare the safety and efficacy of ampicillin/sulbactam (Amp/Sulb) and colistin (COL) in the treatment of multidrug resistant Acinetobacter baumannii ventilator-associated pneumonia (VAP)...
- The level of hypotension during hemorrhagic shock is a major determinant of the post-resuscitation systemic inflammatory response: an experimental studyEmmanuel E Douzinas
3rd Department of Critical Care Medicine, University of Athens, Medical School, Greece
BMC Physiol 8:15. 2008..To evaluate whether the level of hypotension during hemorrhagic shock may influence the oxidative and inflammatory responses developed during post-ischemic resuscitation...