Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: Institute of Molecular Biology and Biotechnology
- c-Jun transactivates the promoter of the human p21(WAF1/Cip1) gene by acting as a superactivator of the ubiquitous transcription factor Sp1D Kardassis
Department of Basic Sciences, University of Crete Medical School, Institute of Molecular Biology, Foundation of Research and Technology of Hellas, Heraklion GR 71110, Crete, Greece
J Biol Chem 274:29572-81. 1999..In conclusion, our data support a mechanism of superactivation of Sp1 by c-Jun, which is based on physical and functional interactions between these two transcription factors on the human p21 and possibly other Sp1-dependent promoters...
- Regulation of HDL Genes: Transcriptional, Posttranscriptional, and PosttranslationalDimitris Kardassis
Department of Biochemistry, University of Crete Medical School and Institute of Molecular Biology and Biotechnology, Foundation of Research and Technology of Hellas, Heraklion, Crete, 71110, Greece
Handb Exp Pharmacol 224:113-79. 2015....
- Metabolism of HDL and its regulationD Kardassis
Department of Basic Sciences, University of Crete Medical School, Heraklion 71003 Greece
Curr Med Chem 21:2864-80. 2014....
- Characterization of a novel transcriptionally active domain in the transforming growth factor beta-regulated Smad3 proteinVassiliki Prokova
Department of Basic Sciences, University of Crete Medical School Heraklion 71003, Greece
Nucleic Acids Res 33:3708-21. 2005..Our data support an essential role of the previously uncharacterized middle region of Smad3 for nuclear functions, such as transcriptional activation and interaction with coactivators...
- Anti-tumor necrosis factor therapy improves insulin resistance, beta cell function and insulin signaling in active rheumatoid arthritis patients with high insulin resistanceIlias Stagakis
Rheumatology, Clinical Immunology and Allergy, University of Crete, Medical School, Voutes 1, Heraklion, 71003, Greece
Arthritis Res Ther 14:R141. 2012..We examined whether anti-TNF therapy improves insulin resistance in RA patients and assessed changes in the insulin signaling cascade...
- Synergism between nuclear receptors bound to specific hormone response elements of the hepatic control region-1 and the proximal apolipoprotein C-II promoter mediate apolipoprotein C-II gene regulation by bile acids and retinoidsDimitris Kardassis
Department of Basic Sciences, School of Health Sciences, Faculty of Medicine, University of Crete, PO Box 1393, 71500 Heraklion, Greece
Biochem J 372:291-304. 2003....
- Sp1 plays a critical role in the transcriptional activation of the human cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitor p21(WAF1/Cip1) gene by the p53 tumor suppressor proteinG Koutsodontis
Department of Basic Sciences, University of Crete Medical School, Heraklion GR-71110, Greece
J Biol Chem 276:29116-25. 2001..In conclusion, Sp1 must play a critical role in regulating important biological processes controlled by p53 via p21 gene activation such as DNA repair, cell growth, differentiation, and apoptosis...
- SMAD proteins transactivate the human ApoCIII promoter by interacting physically and functionally with hepatocyte nuclear factor 4D Kardassis
Department of Basic Sciences, University of Crete Medical School and Institute of Molecular Biology and Biotechnology, F O R T H, Heraklion GR 71110, Crete, Greece
J Biol Chem 275:41405-14. 2000....
- Differential regulation of the two RhoA-specific GEF isoforms Net1/Net1A by TGF-β and miR-24: role in epithelial-to-mesenchymal transitionE Papadimitriou
Department of Biochemistry, University of Crete Medical School, Heraklion, Crete, Greece
Oncogene 31:2862-75. 2012..Our results emphasize the importance of Net1 isoform2 in the short- and long-term TGF-β-mediated regulation of EMT...
- Role of Smad proteins and transcription factor Sp1 in p21(Waf1/Cip1) regulation by transforming growth factor-betaK Pardali
Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research, Box 595, SE 751 24 Uppsala, Sweden
J Biol Chem 275:29244-56. 2000..In conclusion, Smad proteins play important roles in regulation of the p21 gene by TGF-beta, and the functional cooperation of Smad proteins with Sp1 involves the physical interaction of these two types of transcription factors...
- Transcriptional regulation of the human apolipoprotein genesV I Zannis
Section of Molecular Genetics, Whitaker Cardiovascular Institute, Departments of Medicine and Biochemistry, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts 02118 239, USA
Front Biosci 6:D456-504. 2001..Understanding the transcriptional regulatory mechanism of the apolipoprotein genes may allow, in the long run, selective increase of anti-atherogenic lipoproteins and thus reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease...