Affiliation: Aristotle University of Thessaloniki
Location: Thessaloniki, Greece
Biology of dentin-pulp complex.
Regenerative therapeutic approaches in endodontology
Toxicity of restorative dental materials
1993-1995. BIOMED 1 (Rf PL 920419). Commission of the European Communities. Role line manager. “Toxicity of Root Canal Sealers”.
1993-1998. PENED 91 (ED91No549) and . PENED 95 (ED95No636) General Secreteriat of Research & Technology in Greece. Role Scientific Manager. “Autoinduction of
Dentinogenesis and induction of reparative dentinogenesis”.
1996-2000. COST (B8) “Odontogenesis” . Commission of the European Communities. Role National Representative in Managment Committee. Chairperson of the 3rd Working
1999-2001. PENED 99 (ED95No643) General Secreteriat of Research & Technology in Greece. Role Scientific Manager. “TGF-beta1 in Vital Pulp Therapy”.
2003-2005 EPEAEK 2003 Heraklitos 21475. Commission of the European Communities and Ministry of Education in Greece. Role Scientific Manager. “The role of TGFbeta 1 in
transdentinal stimulation of tertiary dentinogenesis”.
2003-2007 COST (B8) “Oral Facial Development and repair”. Commission of the European Communities. Role National Representative in Managment Committee.
2005-2008 EPEAEK 2005 PYTHAGORAS 80843. Commission of the European Communities and Ministry of Education in Greece. Role Scientific Manager. “Development of biologically active treatment modalities in sites of endodontic tissue trauma”.
- Tziafas D, Veis A, Alvanou A. Inability of calcium hydroxide to induce reparative dentinogenesis at non-peripheral sites of dog dental pulp. Eur J Oral Sci. 1996;104:623-6 pubmed..In response to the centrally implanted cements, only atubular hard tissue with lining fibroblast-like cells was deposited. ..
- Kodonas K, Gogos C, Tziafas D. Effect of simulated pulpal microcirculation on intrapulpal temperature changes following application of heat on tooth surfaces. Int Endod J. 2009;42:247-52 pubmed publisher..05). The importance of the cooling effect of simulated pulp microcirculation in the thermal behaviour of the dentine was established. Thickness of tooth tissue influenced significantly pulp temperature rise ex vivo. ..
- Koliniotou Koumpia E, Papadimitriou S, Tziafas D. Pulpal responses after application of current adhesive systems to deep cavities. Clin Oral Investig. 2007;11:313-20 pubmed....
- Economides N, Pantelidou O, Kokkas A, Tziafas D. Short-term periradicular tissue response to mineral trioxide aggregate (MTA) as root-end filling material. Int Endod J. 2003;36:44-8 pubmed..MTA is a biocompatible material that stimulates periradicular tissue repair at the root-end situation; however, the nature of the newly formed tissues requires further elucidation. ..
- Tziafas D, Kalyva M, Papadimitriou S. Experimental dentin-based approaches to tissue regeneration in vital pulp therapy. Connect Tissue Res. 2002;43:391-5 pubmed..Furthermore, it seems that the traumatized mature pulp maintains the ability to grow, while a calcifying potential could be expressed by this growing part of the pulp core. ..
- Tziafas D, Alvanou A, Panagiotakopoulos N, Smith A, Lesot H, Komnenou A, et al. Induction of odontoblast-like cell differentiation in dog dental pulps after in vivo implantation of dentine matrix components. Arch Oral Biol. 1995;40:883-93 pubmed....
- Veis A, Tziafas D, Lambrianidis T. A case report of a compound odontoma causing delayed eruption of a central maxillary incisor: clinical and microscopic evaluation. J Endod. 2000;26:477-9 pubmed..The most homogeneous tissue was dentin. The removal of the odontoma was followed by a rapid eruption of the impacted central incisor. ..
- Tziafas D, Pantelidou O, Alvanou A, Belibasakis G, Papadimitriou S. The dentinogenic effect of mineral trioxide aggregate (MTA) in short-term capping experiments. Int Endod J. 2002;35:245-54 pubmed..The present experiments indicate that MTA is an effective pulp-capping material, able to stimulate reparative dentine formation by the stereotypic defensive mechanism of early pulpal wound healing. ..
- Tziafas D, Economides N. Formation of crystals on the surface of calcium hydroxide-containing materials in vitro. J Endod. 1999;25:539-42 pubmed..This modification might play an important role in the regulation of cell adhesion and the initiation of new matrix synthesis. ..
- Tziafas D, Belibasakis G, Veis A, Papadimitriou S. Dentin regeneration in vital pulp therapy: design principles. Adv Dent Res. 2001;15:96-100 pubmed....
- Tziafas D, Alvanou A, Papadimitriou S, Gasic J, Komnenou A. Effects of recombinant basic fibroblast growth factor, insulin-like growth factor-II and transforming growth factor-beta 1 on dog dental pulp cells in vivo. Arch Oral Biol. 1998;43:431-44 pubmed..Implantation of bFGF and IGF-II did not result in reparative dentine formation, but did stimulate osteotypical matrix deposition at a distance from the implants. ..
- Tziafas D. The future role of a molecular approach to pulp-dentinal regeneration. Caries Res. 2004;38:314-20 pubmed..Promising biologically active substances should be subjected to careful evaluation in well-designed preclinical investigations as well as in long-term clinical trials before their introduction in clinical practice. ..
- Papadimitriou S, Papazoglou L, Tontis D, Tziafas D, Papaionnnou N, Patsikas M. Compound maxillary odontoma in a young German shepherd dog. J Small Anim Pract. 2005;46:146-50 pubmed..Morphology and structure of the denticles were also confirmed by scanning electron microscopy. A compound odontoma was diagnosed. One year after surgery, the dog was free of clinical signs. ..
- Koliniotou Koumpia E, Tziafas D. Pulpal responses following direct pulp capping of healthy dog teeth with dentine adhesive systems. J Dent. 2005;33:639-47 pubmed..g. wound healing with tertiary dentine bridge formation. ..
- Tziafas D, Koliniotou Koumpia E, Tziafa C, Papadimitriou S. Effects of a new antibacterial adhesive on the repair capacity of the pulp-dentine complex in infected teeth. Int Endod J. 2007;40:58-66 pubmed..The new antibacterial adhesive system maintained pulp vitality and primary odontoblastic function in infected nonexposed and exposed cavities but interfered with reparative dentine formation in infected pulpal exposures. ..
- Kokkas A, Goulas A, Varsamidis K, Mirtsou V, Tziafas D. Irreversible but not reversible pulpitis is associated with up-regulation of tumour necrosis factor-alpha gene expression in human pulp. Int Endod J. 2007;40:198-203 pubmed..699). Tumour necrosis factor-alpha gene expression in inflamed human dental pulp tissue is positively associated with the severity of clinical symptoms. ..
- Tziafas D, Papadimitriou S. Role of exogenous TGF-beta in induction of reparative dentinogenesis in vivo. Eur J Oral Sci. 1998;106 Suppl 1:192-6 pubmed....
- Tziafas D, Kodonas K. Differentiation potential of dental papilla, dental pulp, and apical papilla progenitor cells. J Endod. 2010;36:781-9 pubmed publisher..Regenerative endodontic procedures use the differentiation potential of embryonic and adult pulp progenitor cell populations to reconstitute dental structures...
- Kalyva M, Papadimitriou S, Tziafas D. Transdentinal stimulation of tertiary dentine formation and intratubular mineralization by growth factors. Int Endod J. 2010;43:382-92 pubmed publisher..To evaluate the effects of recombinant growth factors on tertiary dentine formation and intratubular mineralization after their application on deep dentinal cavities in dog's teeth...
- Tziafas D, Smith A, Lesot H. Designing new treatment strategies in vital pulp therapy. J Dent. 2000;28:77-92 pubmed..Application of exogenous signalling molecules offers opportunities for development of new therapies, although a number of delivery considerations must be addressed before these can be introduced into clinical practice. ..
- Kerezoudi C, Gogos C, Samanidou V, Tziafas D, Palaghias G. Evaluation of monomer leaching from a resin cement through dentin by a novel model. Dent Mater. 2016;32:e297-e305 pubmed publisher..4min. The concentrations of HEMA that enabled to diffuse from Multilink Automix® cement in an aqueous solution, through a dentin barrier, did not reach toxic levels and BPA, UDMA and BisGMA were not detected at all. ..