- Correlation between BMI, leisure habits and motor abilities in childhood (CHILT-project)
Institute of Cardiology and Sports Medicine, German Sport University, Cologne, Germany
Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 28:22-6. 2004
..This paper examines the association between body mass index (BMI), motor abilities and leisure habits of 668 children within the CHILT (Children's Health InterventionaL Trial) project...
- [Preventing coronary heart disease by physical activity. How much exercise is necessary?]
Institut für Kreislaufforschung und Sportmedizin, Deutsche Sporthochschule Koln
MMW Fortschr Med 143:28-30. 2001
..In the last resort, however, any form of exercise is better than none at all, when it comes to lowering the coronary risk. Not only endurance sports, but also other types of sport, such as tennis, or daily activities, can be recommended...
- [Arteriosclerosis -- a lifelong challenge]
Institut für Kreislaufforschung und Sportmedizin, DSHS Köln, Germany
Herz 27:760-4. 2002
..Effective prevention of cardiovascular diseases is of utmost importance in Western civilizations as they are on top of mortality statistics...
- School-based prevention: effects on obesity and physical performance after 4 years
Institute of Cardiology and Sports Medicine, German Sport University Cologne, Cologne, Germany
J Sports Sci 26:987-94. 2008
..Therefore, preventive intervention in primary school offers the possibility to improve physical performance in children. The prevalence and incidence of obesity were not affected...
- [Overweight and obesity in childhood and adolescence. Is prevention possible?]
Institut für Kreislaufforschung und Sportmedizin, Deutsche Sporthochschule Koln, Koln
Herz 31:507-13. 2006
..The implementation of such strategies is only possible with a combined and qualified procedure by a concerted and qualified action of all health care employees based on adequate political structures...
- Influence of intermittent hypoxia interval training on exercise-dependent erythrocyte NOS activation and blood pressure in diabetic patients
Institute for Cardiovascular Research and Sport Medicine, Department of Molecular and Cellular Sport Medicine, German Sport University Cologne, Cologne, Germany
Can J Physiol Pharmacol 90:1591-8. 2012
..Exercise-dependent eryNOS phosphorylation at serine(1177) was increased similar to that described for the endothelium in diabetic patients. EryNOS dysregulation was partially restored after intermittent hypoxia training...
- Who benefits from intervention in, as opposed to screening of, overweight and obese children?
Institute for Cardiology and Sportsmedicine, German Sport University, Cologne, Germany
Cardiol Young 16:474-80. 2006
..We analysed differences in changes in anthropometric, cardiovascular and obesity parameters between children who underwent intervention, non-participants in intervention, and controls...
- Nebivolol lowers blood pressure and increases weight loss in patients with hypertension and diabetes in regard to age
Department of Molecular and Cellular Sport Medicine, Institute of Cardiology and Sport Medicine, German Sport University Cologne, Cologne, Germany
J Cardiovasc Pharmacol 56:275-81. 2010
..The present study investigates the effect of treatment with the third-generation beta-blocker nebivolol, in female and male patients of different ages...
- Cycling exercise-induced myofiber transitions in skeletal muscle depend on basal fiber type distribution
Department for Molecular and Cellular Sports Medicine, Institute of Cardiology and Sports Medicine, German Sport University Cologne, Am Sportpark Müngersdorf 6, 50933, Cologne, Germany
Eur J Appl Physiol 112:2393-402. 2012
..This might be influenced by altered demands of myofiber recruitment in relation to the intensity of muscle contraction but also by its relative abundance in contracting muscle...
- Direct non-medical and indirect costs for families with children with congenital cardiac defects in Germany: a survey from a university centre
Andreas U Gerber
Institute for Health Economics and Clinical Epidemiology, University of Cologne, Gleueler Strasse, Cologne, Germany
Cardiol Young 20:178-85. 2010
..Parents of children with congenital cardiac disease suffer from psychological stress and financial burdens. These costs have not yet been quantified...
- Physical activity, leisure habits and obesity in first-grade children
Institute for Cardiology and Sports Medicine, Koln, Germany
Eur J Cardiovasc Prev Rehabil 11:284-90. 2004
..In this study, we examine the association between body indices, motor abilities and active (sport) and passive (television/computer) leisure time activities in a cohort of first-grade pupils...
- Data from the StEP TWO programme showing the effect on blood pressure and different parameters for obesity in overweight and obese primary school children
Institute for Cardiology and Sportsmedicine, University of Cologne, Germany
Cardiol Young 15:291-8. 2005
..Countermeasures are necessary. In this paper, we present the baseline and final data from the StEP TWO programme, a prospective study to prevent overweight and obesity in primary schools...