- Controversies and guidelines in tissue-based HER-2/neu testing in breast cancer
MLO Med Lab Obs 34:12-6, 20-1; quiz 22-3. 2002
..Tissue-based testing of HER-2/neu in breast cancer represents an example of the latter. This article discusses the available technologies for HER-2/neu testing with some of the sources of testing errors...
- Current issues in ER and HER2 testing by IHC in breast cancer
Allen M Gown
PhenoPath Laboratories, Seattle, WA 98103, USA
Mod Pathol 21:S8-S15. 2008
- High concordance between immunohistochemistry and fluorescence in situ hybridization testing for HER2 status in breast cancer requires a normalized IHC scoring system
Allen M Gown
PhenoPath Laboratories, Seattle, WA 98103, USA
Mod Pathol 21:1271-7. 2008
- HER-2 testing in breast cancer using parallel tissue-based methods
PhenoPath Laboratories, Seattle, Wash 98103, USA
JAMA 291:1972-7. 2004
..Successful quality control and quality assurance programs are a prerequisite for such approaches...
- Determining true HER2 gene status in breast cancers with polysomy by using alternative chromosome 17 reference genes: implications for anti-HER2 targeted therapy
Chun Hing Tse
PhenoPath Laboratories, 551 N 34th St, Seattle, WA 98103, USA
J Clin Oncol 29:4168-74. 2011
..However, pangenomic studies have demonstrated that polysomy 17 is rare. This study tests the hypothesis that the use of alternative chromosome 17 reference genes might more accurately assess true HER2 gene status...
- CDX2, a highly sensitive and specific marker of adenocarcinomas of intestinal origin: an immunohistochemical survey of 476 primary and metastatic carcinomas
Robert W Werling
PhenoPath Laboratories and IRIS, 551 N. 34th Street, Seattle, WA 98103, USA
Am J Surg Pathol 27:303-10. 2003
..CDX2 expression can be seen, however, in selected non-GI adenocarcinomas such as mucinous ovarian carcinomas and adenocarcinomas of the urinary bladder...
- Immunohistochemical distinction of invasive from noninvasive breast lesions: a comparative study of p63 versus calponin and smooth muscle myosin heavy chain
Robert W Werling
PhenoPath Laboratories, Seattle, Washington, 98103, USA
Am J Surg Pathol 27:82-90. 2003
..p63 may represent a myoepithelial marker that can complement or replace SMM-HC and/or calponin in the analysis of difficult breast lesions...
- Wilms tumor gene product: sensitive and contextually specific marker of serous carcinomas of ovarian surface epithelial origin
PhenoPath Laboratories, 551 N. 34th Street, Seattle, WA 98103, USA
Appl Immunohistochem Mol Morphol 12:122-6. 2004
..These results also contradict recent reports demonstrating WT-1 expression in both breast and lung carcinomas...
- Immunohistochemical markers of melanocytic tumors
PhenoPath Laboratories, Seattle, Washington 98103, USA
Int J Surg Pathol 11:11-5. 2003
..This article provides a brief overview of these markers in terms of their specificity and sensitivity and offers a discussion of tumors with partial melanocytic differentiation...
- Testing for HER-2/neu in breast cancer: is fluorescence in situ hybridization superior in predicting outcome?
PhenoPath Laboratories, 551 North 34th Street, Suite 100, Seattle, WA 98103, USA
Adv Anat Pathol 9:338-44. 2002
..This commentary discusses the findings of this study, within a broader review of critical issues relating to HER-2/neu testing in breast cancer...
- Immunohistochemical and clinical characterization of the basal-like subtype of invasive breast carcinoma
Torsten O Nielsen
Genetic Pathology Evaluation Centre, University of British Columbia, Vancouver Hospital and British Columbia Cancer Agency, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Clin Cancer Res 10:5367-74. 2004
..These studies show that many basal-like tumors express HER1, which suggests candidate drugs for evaluation in these patients...
- Accuracy and precision in HER2/neu testing in breast cancer: are we there yet?
Hum Pathol 35:143-6. 2004
- Testing for epidermal growth factor receptor in lung cancer: have we learned anything from HER-2 testing?
J Clin Oncol 22:3646; author reply 3646-8. 2004
- Unmasking the mysteries of antigen or epitope retrieval and formalin fixation
Allen M Gown
Am J Clin Pathol 121:172-4. 2004
- Aberrant expression of epithelial and neuroendocrine markers in alveolar rhabdomyosarcoma: a potentially serious diagnostic pitfall
Texas Children s Hospital and Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX, USA
Mod Pathol 21:795-806. 2008
..These findings emphasize the need to employ a panel of markers, to include desmin, myogenin/MyoD1, and genetic study in the diagnosis of primitive round cell neoplasms in all age groups and in all locations...
- Automated quantitative analysis of estrogen receptor expression in breast carcinoma does not differ from expert pathologist scoring: a tissue microarray study of 3,484 cases
Dmitry A Turbin
Genetic Pathology Evaluation Centre, Vancouver Coastal Health Research Institute, Vancouver, BC, Canada
Breast Cancer Res Treat 110:417-26. 2008
..Our study compares visual scoring of ER in invasive breast cancer by histopathologists to quantitation of staining using a fully automated system...
- Ovarian mucinous tumors associated with mature cystic teratomas: morphologic and immunohistochemical analysis identifies a subset of potential teratomatous origin that shares features of lower gastrointestinal tract mucinous tumors more commonly encounter
Department of Pathology and Gynecology and Obstetrics, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, USA
Am J Surg Pathol 31:854-69. 2007
..Those tumors having CK7 expression with or without CK20 expression may be derived from upper gastrointestinal tract-type or sinonasal-type teratomatous elements but could be independent tumors of surface epithelial-stromal origin...
- p16 expression in primary ovarian mucinous and endometrioid tumors and metastatic adenocarcinomas in the ovary: utility for identification of metastatic HPV-related endocervical adenocarcinomas
Department of Pathology, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, USA
Am J Surg Pathol 31:653-63. 2007
- Nonsmall cell lung carcinoma with neuroendocrine differentiation--an entity of no clinical or prognostic significance
Diana N Ionescu
Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Vancouver General Hospital, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Am J Surg Pathol 31:26-32. 2007
..Disease specific and overall survival is not influenced by NE differentiation and therefore non-small cell lung carcinoma with neuroendocrine differentiation should not be a subclass distinct from the other NSCLC...
- Immunohistochemical detection using the new rabbit monoclonal antibody SP1 of estrogen receptor in breast cancer is superior to mouse monoclonal antibody 1D5 in predicting survival
Maggie C U Cheang
Genetic Pathology Evaluation Centre at Vancouver General Hospital, Prostate Centre, and University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
J Clin Oncol 24:5637-44. 2006
..CONCLUSION: SP1 represents an improved standard for ER immunohistochemistry assessment in breast cancer...
- Immunohistochemical expression of CDX2 in primary ovarian mucinous tumors and metastatic mucinous carcinomas involving the ovary: comparison with CK20 and correlation with coordinate expression of CK7
Department of Pathology, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21231, USA
Mod Pathol 19:1421-8. 2006
..Cytokeratin 7 provides the predominant discriminatory value among these markers yet is limited to distinction of primary ovarian tumors from metastases of lower gastrointestinal tract origin...
- Intracystic papillary carcinomas of the breast: a reevaluation using a panel of myoepithelial cell markers
Laura C Collins
Department of Pathology, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Am J Surg Pathol 30:1002-7. 2006
- Evaluation of 12 antibodies for distinguishing epithelioid mesothelioma from adenocarcinoma: identification of a three-antibody immunohistochemical panel with maximal sensitivity and specificity
Ancillary Pathways, Miami, FL 33243 0777, USA
Mod Pathol 19:514-23. 2006
- Ovarian atypical proliferative (borderline) mucinous tumors: gastrointestinal and seromucinous (endocervical-like) types are immunophenotypically distinctive
Department of Pathology, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21231, USA
Int J Gynecol Pathol 25:83-9. 2006
- Do we need two more mesothelial markers?
HECTOR A BATTIFORA
Hum Pathol 36:451-2. 2005
- Fluorescence in situ hybridization for the detection of t(X;18)(p11.2;q11.2) in a synovial sarcoma tissue microarray using a breakapart-style probe
Genetic Pathology Evaluation Centre, British Columbia Cancer Agency, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Diagn Mol Pathol 14:77-82. 2005
..The CISH probes produced signals too weak to interpret. The use of breakapart FISH probes is a relatively quick procedure for detection of synovial sarcoma translocations and can be applied to archival specimens in tissue microarrays...
- Immunohistochemistry for estrogen and progesterone receptors in the distinction of primary and metastatic mucinous tumors in the ovary: an analysis of 124 cases
Department of Pathology, Division of Gynecologic Pathology, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21231, USA
Mod Pathol 19:97-105. 2006