- Clinical implications from drug-drug and drug-disease interactions in older people
Faculty of Pharmacy and Sydney Medical School, University of Sydney, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol 40:320-5. 2013
..Clinical implications of interactions between drugs and geriatric syndromes such as frailty, falls, cognitive impairment, immobility and urinary incontinence should also be considered in older people...
- High risk prescribing in older adults: prevalence, clinical and economic implications and potential for intervention at the population level
Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Sydney, Bank Building A15, Science Rd, Sydney, NSW, Australia
BMC Public Health 13:115. 2013
..The aims of this project are to determine the prevalence, risk factors, clinical consequences, and costs of high risk prescribing, and to assess the impact of interventions on high risk prescribing in older people...
- Mild cognitive impairment predicts institutionalization among older men: a population-based cohort study
Department of Clinical Pharmacology, Royal North Shore Hospital, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
PLoS ONE 7:e46061. 2012
..There is a lack of evidence on the contribution of mild cognitive impairment (MCI) to institutionalization in older adults. This study aimed to evaluate a range of risk factors including MCI of institutionalization in older men...
- Polypharmacy cutoff and outcomes: five or more medicines were used to identify community-dwelling older men at risk of different adverse outcomes
Department of Clinical Pharmacology, 11C Main Building, Royal North Shore Hospital, St Leonards, NSW 2065, Australia
J Clin Epidemiol 65:989-95. 2012
..This study aimed to determine an optimal discriminating number of concomitant medications associated with geriatric syndromes, functional outcomes, and mortality in community-dwelling older men...
- Deprescribing trials: methods to reduce polypharmacy and the impact on prescribing and clinical outcomes
Departments of Clinical Pharmacology and Aged Care, 11C Main Building, Royal North Shore Hospital, St Leonards NSW 2065, Australia
Clin Geriatr Med 28:237-53. 2012
..Large RCTs evaluating multidisciplinary interventions and clinical outcomes of changes in medicines regimen across different settings are required to confirm the findings of the studies performed so far...
- Effects of drug burden index on cognitive function in older men
Departments of Clinical Pharmacology and Aged Care, Royal North Shore Hospital, Sydney, Australia
J Clin Psychopharmacol 32:273-7. 2012
..In this study of community-dwelling older men, DBI was not associated with limitations on objective cognitive performance measures or with a clinical diagnosis of mild cognitive impairment or dementia...
- High-risk prescribing and incidence of frailty among older community-dwelling men
Department of Clinical Pharmacology, Royal North Shore Hospital, Sydney, Australia
Clin Pharmacol Ther 91:521-8. 2012
..45 (95% CI: 1.42-4.23) for polypharmacy, 2.50 (95% CI: 0.76-8.26) for hyperpolypharmacy, and 2.14 (95% CI: 1.25-3.64) for DBI exposure. High-risk prescribing may contribute to frailty in community-dwelling older men...
- How fast does the Grim Reaper walk? Receiver operating characteristics curve analysis in healthy men aged 70 and over
Fiona F Stanaway
Sydney School of Public Health, University of Sydney, Sydney, Australia
BMJ 343:d7679. 2011
..To determine the speed at which the Grim Reaper (or Death) walks...
- Drug Burden Index and physical function in older Australian men
Department of Clinical Pharmacology and Aged Care, Royal North Shore Hospital, Sydney, Australia
Br J Clin Pharmacol 68:97-105. 2009
..The Drug Burden Index is a measure of total exposure to anticholinergic and sedative medications that incorporates the principles of dose-response and maximal effect...
- Drug Burden Index associated with function in community-dwelling older people in Finland: a cross-sectional study
Departments of Clinical Pharmacology and Aged Care, Royal North Shore Hospital, St Leonards, New South Wales, Australia
Ann Med 44:458-67. 2012
- A pilot randomized clinical trial utilizing the drug burden index to reduce exposure to anticholinergic and sedative medications in older people
Clinical Pharmacology Department, University of Sydney, St Leonards, New South Wales, Australia
Ann Pharmacother 44:1725-32. 2010
..Higher DBI has been associated with functional impairment in observational studies of older people...
- Prescription and administration of opioids to hospital in-patients, and barriers to effective use
Bridin P Murnion
Drug Health Services, Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, Royal North Shore Hospital, Sydney, NSW, Australia
Pain Med 11:58-66. 2010
..Secondary aims were assessment of staff knowledge of opioid pharmacology and available preparations, and of perceived barriers limiting opioid use...
- Associations between drug burden index and mortality in older people in residential aged care facilities
Nicholas M Wilson
Kolling Institute of Medical Research, Institute of Bone and Joint Research, Royal North Shore Hospital, Sydney, NSW, Australia
Drugs Aging 29:157-65. 2012
..In people from residential aged care facilities (RACFs), DBI score does not appear to be associated with functional impairment, but is associated with an increased risk of falls...
- Thinking through the medication list - appropriate prescribing and deprescribing in robust and frail older patients
Sarah N Hilmer
Northern Clinical School, Sydney Medical School, University of Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Aust Fam Physician 41:924-8. 2012
..Medicines in older patients have the potential to provide great gains as well as significant harms...
- Gentamicin pharmacokinetics in old age and frailty
Sarah N Hilmer
Sydney Medical School, University of Sydney, Sydney, Australia
Br J Clin Pharmacol 71:224-31. 2011
- Pharmacoepidemiology in the postmarketing assessment of the safety and efficacy of drugs in older adults
Sarah N Hilmer
Department of Clinical Pharmacology, Royal North Shore Hospital, St Leonards, NSW 2065, Australia
J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 67:181-8. 2012
..Where possible, findings of pharmacoepidemiologic studies should be tested with well-conducted interventional randomized trials in relevant populations of older people...