- A KH domain RNA binding protein, KSRP, promotes ARE-directed mRNA turnover by recruiting the degradation machinery
Gene Transfer Laboratory, Istituto Nazionale per la Ricerca sul Cancro, Largo R Benzi 10, 16132 Genoa, Italy
Mol Cell 14:571-83. 2004
..The ability of KHs to promote mRNA decay correlates with their ability to bind the ARE and associate with RNA-degrading enzymes. Thus, KHs promote rapid mRNA decay by recruiting degradation machinery to ARE-containing mRNAs...
- p38-dependent phosphorylation of the mRNA decay-promoting factor KSRP controls the stability of select myogenic transcripts
Istituto Nazionale per la Ricerca sul Cancro, Genova, Italy
Mol Cell 20:891-903. 2005
..Our results uncover an unanticipated role for KSRP in establishing a biochemical link between differentiation-activated p38 signaling and turnover of myogenic mRNAs...
- KSRP, many functions for a single protein
Istituto Nazionale per la Ricerca sul Cancro, 16132 Genova, Italy
Front Biosci 16:1787-96. 2011
..In this review we will discuss in detail KSRP ability to i) promote decay of labile mRNAs interacting with some components of the mRNA decay machinery and ii) favor the maturation of a select group of microRNA precursors...
- KH domains with impaired nucleic acid binding as a tool for functional analysis
Molecular Structure Division, MRC National Institute for Medical Research, The Ridgeway, Mill Hill, London NW7 1AA, UK
Nucleic Acids Res 40:6873-86. 2012
..This work defines a general molecular biology tool for the investigation of the function of individual KH domains in nucleic acid binding proteins...
- Identification of a set of KSRP target transcripts upregulated by PI3K-AKT signaling
Istituto Nazionale per la Ricerca sul Cancro IST, 16132 Genova, Italy
BMC Mol Biol 8:28. 2007
..We have recently described that phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase/AKT (PI3K-AKT) activation induces stabilization and accumulation of the labile beta-catenin mRNA through an impairment of KSRP function...
- The RNA-binding protein KSRP promotes decay of beta-catenin mRNA and is inactivated by PI3K-AKT signaling
Nazionale per la Ricerca sul Cancro, Genova, Italy
PLoS Biol 5:e5. 2006
..We propose KSRP phosphorylation as a link between phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase-AKT signaling and beta-catenin accumulation...
- The mRNA decay promoting factor K-homology splicing regulator protein post-transcriptionally determines parathyroid hormone mRNA levels
Minerva Center for Calcium and Bone Metabolism, Hadassah Hebrew University Medical Center, PO Box 12000, Jerusalem, Israel 91120
FASEB J 22:3458-68. 2008
..Therefore, calcium or phosphorus depletion, as well as chronic kidney failure, regulate the interaction of KSRP and AUF1 with PTH mRNA and its half-life. Our data indicate a novel role for KSRP in PTH gene expression...
- Tethering KSRP, a decay-promoting AU-rich element-binding protein, to mRNAs elicits mRNA decay
Chu Fang Chou
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Genetics, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama 35294, USA
Mol Cell Biol 26:3695-706. 2006
..These results provide a foundation for the development of novel therapeutic strategies to inhibit specific gene expression in patients with acquired or hereditary diseases...
- The ARE-dependent mRNA-destabilizing activity of BRF1 is regulated by protein kinase B
Institute for Medical Microbiology, University of Basel, Basel, Switzerland
EMBO J 23:4760-9. 2004
..In vivo and in vitro data support a model where PKB causes ARE-mRNA stabilization by inactivating BRF1 through binding to 14-3-3...
- The structure of the C-terminal KH domains of KSRP reveals a noncanonical motif important for mRNA degradation
María Flor García Mayoral
MRC National Institute for Medical Research, The Ridgeway, Mill Hill, London NW7 1AA, UK
Structure 15:485-98. 2007
..Surprisingly, we find that KH4 binds to its target AREs with lower affinity than KH3 and that KSRP's mRNA binding, and mRNA degradation activities are closely associated with a conserved structural element of KH4...
- Stabilization of cellular mRNAs and up-regulation of proteins by oligoribonucleotides homologous to the Bcl2 adenine-uridine rich element motif
Department of Pharmacology, University of Milan, Via Vanvitelli 32, 20129 Milan, Italy
Mol Pharmacol 71:531-8. 2007
- The Wnt/beta-catenin-->Pitx2 pathway controls the turnover of Pitx2 and other unstable mRNAs
Istituto Nazionale per la Ricerca sul Cancro (IST, 16132 Genova, Italy
Mol Cell 12:1201-11. 2003
..Our previous and present data support the hypothesis that a single pathway can coordinately regulate sequential transcriptional and posttranscriptional events leading to an integrated functional gene regulatory network...
- Bcl-2 protein is required for the adenine/uridine-rich element (ARE)-dependent degradation of its own messenger
Department of Pharmacology, University of Milan, 20129 Milan, Italy
J Biol Chem 278:23451-9. 2003
..We conclude that Bcl-2 is necessary to activate the degradation complex on the relevant RNA target...