Christos C Zouboulis
- Zouboulis C, Seltmann H, Abdel Naser M, Hossini A, Menon G, Kubba R. Effects of Extracellular Calcium and 1,25 dihydroxyvitamin D3 on Sebaceous Gland Cells In vitro and In vivo. Acta Derm Venereol. 2017;97:313-320 pubmed publisher..The increased ionized calcium and the reduced 1,25(OH)2D3 levels detected in the serum of younger patients with acne may contribute respectively to increased sebaceous gland volume and enhanced lipogenesis. ..
- Karagiannidis I, Nikolakis G, Sabat R, Zouboulis C. Hidradenitis suppurativa/Acne inversa: an endocrine skin disorder?. Rev Endocr Metab Disord. 2016;17:335-341 pubmed..In this review we describe the current view on the hormonal dysregulation and metabolic syndrome and their role in HS. ..
- Kanaki T, Makrantonaki E, Zouboulis C. Biomarkers of skin aging. Rev Endocr Metab Disord. 2016;17:433-442 pubmed..e., the administration of biomarkers. Because of the complexity of skin aging, the exact definition of biomarkers is a major research challenge. In this article, we summarize the basic knowledge involving skin aging and its biomarkers. ..
- Makrantonaki E, Pfeifer G, Zouboulis C. [Intrinsic factors, genes, and skin aging]. Hautarzt. 2016;67:103-6 pubmed publisher..In this article, new knowledge about genes and biological processes that can significantly affect skin homeostasis in old age and can lead to the typical morphological and physiological characteristics of aging skin are summarized. ..
- Ju Q, Zouboulis C. Endocrine-disrupting chemicals and skin manifestations. Rev Endocr Metab Disord. 2016;17:449-457 pubmed..Further studies on EDCs and skin diseases are necessary to elucidate these mechanisms. ..
- Zouboulis C, Picardo M, Ju Q, Kurokawa I, TÃ¶rÅ‘csik D, BÃrÃ³ T, et al. Beyond acne: Current aspects of sebaceous gland biology and function. Rev Endocr Metab Disord. 2016;17:319-334 pubmed
- Karagiannidis I, Nikolakis G, Zouboulis C. Endocrinologic Aspects of Hidradenitis Suppurativa. Dermatol Clin. 2016;34:45-9 pubmed publisher..More studies are required to clarify a potential hormonal dysregulation in HS. ..
- Zouboulis C, Makrantonaki E. Clinical aspects and molecular diagnostics of skin aging. Clin Dermatol. 2011;29:3-14 pubmed publisher..Understanding the molecular mechanisms of aging may open new strategies to deal with the various diseases accompanying high age, including cancer. ..
- Zouboulis C. HLA-independent antibacterial host response toward Th1 immunity mediated by IL-12: a new concept for the pathogenesis of Adamantiades-Behçet's disease. J Invest Dermatol. 2006;126:1444-7 pubmed..The authors provide evidence for an antibacterial host response toward T-helper type 1 immunity mediated by IL-12 in patients with ABD, which is HLA independent...
- Zouboulis C, Baron J, Bohm M, Kippenberger S, Kurzen H, Reichrath J, et al. Frontiers in sebaceous gland biology and pathology. Exp Dermatol. 2008;17:542-51 pubmed publisher..These multiple homeostatic functions award the sebaceous gland the role 'brain of the skin' and the most important cutaneous endocrine gland...
- Zouboulis C, Elewa R, Ottaviani M, Fluhr J, Picardo M, Bernois A, et al. Age influences the skin reaction pattern to mechanical stress and its repair level through skin care products. Mech Ageing Dev. 2018;170:98-105 pubmed publisher..Skin care was more effective in normalizing skin reaction to stress in the young than in the aged group. The subjective volunteer opinion correlated with the objective measurements. ..
- Zouboulis C, Chen W, Thornton M, Qin K, Rosenfield R. Sexual hormones in human skin. Horm Metab Res. 2007;39:85-95 pubmed..However, they reliably reduce acne. Cyproterone acetate and spironolactone are similarly effective as anti-androgens in reducing hirsutism, although there is wide variability in individual responses...
- ..Atopic dermatitis, seborrheic dermatitis, psoriasis and acne vulgaris are some of the disease on which pathogenesis and severity sebaceous lipids may or are surely involved...