Genomes and Genes
- When air is rare: behind the scenes of an asthma web siteM Wjst
Institut fur Epidemiologie, GSF Forschungszentrum für Umwelt und Gesundheit, Munich, Germany
J Asthma 38:399-404. 2001..While the quality of the content has also been on the rise, some questions are still open: Where are users referredfrom, how large is the target audience, and how do they behave during their visit?..
- Meta-analysis of genome-wide linkage studies of asthma and related traitsSamuel Denham
Division of Therapeutics and Molecular Medicine, University Hospital of Nottingham, Nottingham, UK
Respir Res 9:38. 2008....
- Phenotypic and genetic heterogeneity in a genome-wide linkage study of asthma familiesJanine Altmuller
GSF Institute of Epidemiology, GSF National Research Center for Environment and Health, Neuherberg, Germany
BMC Pulm Med 5:1. 2005..Regions on almost every chromosome have been linked to asthma and several genes have been associated. However, most of these associations are weak and are still awaiting replication...
- A pooling-based genome-wide analysis identifies new potential candidate genes for atopy in the European Community Respiratory Health Survey (ECRHS)Francesc Castro-Giner
Public Health and Epidemiology Network Biomedical Research Center, Barcelona, Spain
BMC Med Genet 10:128. 2009..First, we assessed all markers in a subset of subjects using DNA pooling, and in a second stage we evaluated the most promising markers at an individual level...
- G2D: a tool for mining genes associated with diseaseCarolina Perez-Iratxeta
Ontario Genomics Innovation Centre, Ottawa Health Research Institute, ON K1H 8L6, Ottawa, Canada
BMC Genet 6:45. 2005..We previously developed an algorithm to prioritize genes on a chromosomal region according to their possible relation to an inherited disease using a combination of data mining on biomedical databases and gene sequence analysis...
- Asthma in AfricaMatthias Wjst
Institut fur Epidemiologie, GSF Forschungszentrum für Umwelt und Gesundheit, München Neuherberg, Germany
PLoS Med 4:e72. 2007
- A genome-wide linkage scan for 25-OH-D(3) and 1,25-(OH)2-D3 serum levels in asthma familiesMatthias Wjst
Institut fur Epidemiologie, Gruppe Molekulare Epidemiologie, GSF, Forschungszentrum für Umwelt und Gesundheit, Ingolstadter Landstrasse 1, Neuherberg, Munich, Germany
J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol 103:799-802. 2007..The lead linkage region does not code for enzymes already known in the metabolic pathway of vitamin D and may therefore contain further genes relevant to the regulation of vitamin D serum levels...
- Latitude, birth date, and allergyMatthias Wjst
Gruppe Molekulare Epidemiologie, Institut fur Epidemiologie, Forschungszentrum für Umwelt und Gesundheit, Munich, Germany
PLoS Med 2:e294. 2005..Allergy is believed to vary by month of birth, but multinational studies taking into account latitude have not been conducted...
- Variants in the vitamin D receptor gene and asthmaMatthias Wjst
Gruppe Molekulare Epidemiologie, Institut fur Epidemiologie, GSF Forschungszentrum für Umwelt und Gesundheit, Ingolstadter Landstrasse 1, D 85758 Neuherberg Munich, Germany
BMC Genet 6:2. 2005..As these effects are primarily mediated through the vitamin D receptor (VDR), single base variants in this gene may be risk factors for asthma or allergy...
- Asthma is associated with single-nucleotide polymorphisms in ADAM33M Werner
Institute of Epidemiology, GSF National Research Center for Environment and Health, Ingolstaedter Landstrasse, Neuherberg, Germany
Clin Exp Allergy 34:26-31. 2004..The ADAM33 gene has recently been associated with asthma and bronchial hyper-reactivity. It codes for a disintegrin and metalloproteinase that triggers intra- and extracellular signalling by protein shedding...
- Epigenetic regulation of vitamin D converting enzymesMatthias Wjst
Helmholtz Zentrum Munchen, Institute of Lung Biology and Disease, German Research Center for Environmental Health, Ingolstadter Landstr 1, Munchen, D 85764 Neuherberg, Germany
J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol 121:80-3. 2010..As PBLs represent an heterogeneous pool of cells, a further analysis of the seasonal methylation pattern in B or T cell subsets (or other tissues like liver or kidney) is warranted including an extended coverage of the CYP27B1 promotor...
- STAT3 single-nucleotide polymorphisms and STAT3 mutations associated with hyper-IgE syndrome are not responsible for increased serum IgE serum levels in asthma familiesMatthias Wjst
Institute of Inhalation Biology Molecular Pneumology, Helmholtz Zentrum Munchen, Munich Neuherberg, Germany
Eur J Hum Genet 17:352-6. 2009..A minor fraction of asthmatic children may possibly have an alternate STAT3 promoter architecture influencing joined IgE and eosinophil upregulation. While an overall effect of STAT3 mutations on serum IgE is unlikely in asthma children...
- ORMDL3--guilt by association?M Wjst
Institute of Inhalation Biology, GSF Forschungszentrum für Umwelt und Gesundheit, Ingolstadter Landstrasse 1, Neuherberg Munich, Germany
Clin Exp Allergy 38:1579-81. 2008..There may be even unidentified RNA transcripts requiring a much more detailed genetic and functional analysis before finding ORMDL3 guilty by association...
- A genome-wide search for linkage to asthma. German Asthma Genetics GroupM Wjst
GSF Forschungszentrum fuer Umwelt und Gesundheit, Institut fuer Epidemiologie, Neuherberg, Germany
Genomics 58:1-8. 1999..007), and chromosome 12 (D12S351, P = 0.010). These linkage regions could be reproduced for all loci by analysis of total or specific immunoglobulin E (minimum P values at these regions were 0. 003, 0.001, 0.010, and 0.015, respectively)...
- [Housing conditions and allergic sensitization in children]J Heinrich
GSF Forschungszentrum für Umwelt und Gesundheit, Institut fur Epidemiologie, Neuherberg
Zentralbl Hyg Umweltmed 201:211-28. 1998..Modern living conditions are associated with a higher odds of allergic sensitization...
- Trends in allergies among children in a region of former East Germany between 1992-1993 and 1995-1996J Heinrich
GSF Forshungszentrum fuer Umwelt und Gesundheit, Institut fuer Epidemiologie, Postfach 1129, D 85758 Neuherberg, Germany
Eur J Med Res 4:107-13. 1999..In conclusion, there were no significant changes in the prevalence of asthma, allergic rhinitis, or self-reported symptoms of allergic diseases...
- Increasing prevalence of bronchial hyperresponsiveness in three selected areas in East Germany. Bitterfeld Study GroupC Frye
, Institut fur Epidemiologie, Neuherberg, Germany
Eur Respir J 18:451-8. 2001..The present results give indirect evidence, that less respiratory infections may be associated with higher bronchial hyperresponsiveness...
- Association of beta(2)-adrenoreceptor variants with bronchial hyperresponsivenessM Ulbrecht
Institut für Anthropologie und Humangenetik der Ludwig Maximilians Universität München, Munchen, Germany
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 161:469-74. 2000..Upon reanalysis by sex a significant association persisted only for female probands...
- Trends in prevalence of atopic diseases and allergic sensitization in children in Eastern GermanyJ Heinrich
GSF National Research Centre for Environment and Health Institute of Epidemiology, Neuherberg, Germany
Eur Respir J 19:1040-6. 2002....
- Single nucleotide polymorphism screening and association analysis--exclusion of integrin beta 7 and vitamin D receptor (chromosome 12q) as candidate genes for asthmaC Vollmert
Institute of Epidemiology, GSF National Research Center for Environment and Health, 85764 Neuherberg, Germany
Clin Exp Allergy 34:1841-50. 2004....
- Early antibiotic treatment and later asthmaM Wjst
Institut fur Epidemiologie, GSF Forschungszentrum für Umwelt und Gesundheit, Ingolstadter Landstrasse 1, D 85764 Neuherberg Munich, Germany
Eur J Med Res 6:263-71. 2001..The high dose effect, the time dependency of the administration and the effect by non-pulmonary indications raises the possibility that early antibiotic treatment could itself be related to later asthma...
- [Environmental surveys in the areas of Bitterfeld, Hettstedt and a comparative area in 1992-2000]J Heinrich
GSF Forschungszentrum für Umwelt und Gesundheit GmbH, Institut fur Epidemiologie, Neuherberg
Gesundheitswesen 64:675-82. 2002....
- The association between baseline lung function and bronchial responsiveness to methacholineG Wassmer
GSF, Institut fur Epidemiologie, Neuherberg, Germany
Eur J Med Res 2:47-54. 1997..Furthermore, our data support the superiority of the dose response slope for the analysis of bronchial responsiveness in epidemiologic surveys...
- Fine mapping and single nucleotide polymorphism association results of candidate genes for asthma and related phenotypesT Immervoll
GSF National Research Center for Environment and Health, Institute of Epidemiology, Neuherberg, Germany
Hum Mutat 18:327-36. 2001..022). In summary, fine mapping data enable us to confine asthma candidate regions, while variants of EDN1 and NOS1, or nearby genes, may play an important role in this context...
- Maternal oral contraceptive use and atopic diseases in the offspringC Frye
GSF National Research Center for Environment and Health Institute of Epidemiology, Neuherberg, Germany
Allergy 58:229-32. 2003..This study examined the association of maternal oral contraceptive (OC) use - before and after birth - and atopic manifestations in the offspring...
- An Internet linkage and mutation database for the complex phenotype asthmaM Wjst
GSF National Research Center for Environment and Health, P O B 1129, D 85758 Oberschleissheim, Germany
Bioinformatics 14:827-8. 1998..The paper presents details of database construction, website installation and server architecture of the asthma and allergy gene database...
- Arsenic burden among children in industrial areas of eastern GermanyM J Trepka
GSF Forschungszentrum für Umwelt und Gesundheit, Institut fur Epidemiologie, Neuherberg, Germany
Sci Total Environ 180:95-105. 1996..59 micrograms As/g creatinine; 95% C.I. 4.20-5.02). This suggests that the arsenic contamination in Hettstedt is not substantially increasing the internal burden of arsenic among children above that found in other German children...
- Margarine consumption and allergy in childrenG Bolte
GSF National Research Center for Environment and Health, Institute of Epidemiology, Neuherberg, Germany
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 163:277-9. 2001..Increased intake of certain polyunsaturated fatty acids might further stimulate IgE production in boys...
- Public data mining shows extended linkage disequilibrium around ADAM33M Wjst
Institut fur Epidemiologie, GSF Foschungszentrum für Umwelt und Gesundheit, Neuherberg, Germany
Allergy 62:444-6. 2007..ADAM33 has been described to be the first positional cloned asthma gene. Consecutive association studies have found inconsistent results. At present no functional relevant variation is being known...
- Genomewide scans of complex human diseases: true linkage is hard to findJ Altmuller
Institute of Epidemiology, GSF corrected National Research Center for Environment and Health, Neuherberg, Germany
Am J Hum Genet 69:936-50. 2001..Positional cloning based on whole-genome screens in complex human disease has proved more difficult than originally had been envisioned; detection of linkage and positional cloning of specific disease-susceptibility loci remains elusive...
- [European Community Respiratory Health Survey in Adults (ECRHS)]J Heinrich
GSF Forschungszentrum für Umwelt und Gesundheit, Institut fur Epidemiologie, Neuherberg, Deutschland
Pneumologie 56:297-303. 2002....
- Asthma and IL-4 receptor alpha gene variantsM Wjst
German Asthma Genetics Group, Munich, Germany
Eur J Immunogenet 29:263-8. 2002..As there could be interactions with multiple genetic and environmental factors, IL4Ralpha could still be involved in asthma pathogenesis...
- Serum immunoglobulin level and skin prick test responseM Wjst
GSF Forschungszentrum fuer Umwelt und Gesundheit, Institut fuer Epidemiologie, Ingolstaedter Landstrasse 1, Neuherberg, D 85758, Germany
Eur J Med Res 2:177-81. 1997..Methods: In a population-based study of 2,470 children, 2,188 skin prick tests, and 2,042 blood samples could be analyzed...
- Is the increase in allergic asthma associated with an inborn Th1 maturation or with an environmental Th1 trigger defect?M Wjst
Gruppe Molekulare Epidemiologie, Institut fur Epidemiologie, GSF Forschungszentrum für Umwelt und Gesundheit, Ingolstadter Landstrasse 1, Neuherberg Munich, Germany
Allergy 59:148-50. 2004..Both, a Th1 maturation and a Th1 trigger defect may contribute to a dual Th1 allergy theory...
- Vitamin D serum levels and allergic rhinitisM Wjst
Molecular Epidemiology Group, GSF National Research for Environment and Health, Ingolstaedter Landstrasse 1, Munich Neuherberg, Germany
Allergy 62:1085-6. 2007..The association could be due to unrecognized confounding, however, could also point towards an altered metabolism or an increased sensitivity to vitamin D in allergic patients...