Ingrid M Weiss
- Covalent modification of chitin with silk-derivatives acts as an amphiphilic self-organizing template in nacre biomineralisationIngrid M Weiss
INM Leibniz Institute for New Materials gGmbH, Biomineralisation, Campus D2 2, 66123 Saarbrucken, Germany
J Struct Biol 167:68-75. 2009....
- GFP facilitates native purification of recombinant perlucin derivatives and delays the precipitation of calcium carbonateEva Weber
INM Leibniz Institute for New Materials gGmbH, Saarbruecken, Germany
PLoS ONE 7:e46653. 2012..GFP-tagging offers therefore a genetically tunable tool to gently modify mechanical and optical properties of synthetic biocomposite minerals...
- Hierarchical super-structure identified by polarized light microscopy, electron microscopy and nanoindentation: Implications for the limits of biological control over the growth mode of abalone sea shellsAndreas S Schneider
INM Leibniz Institute for New Materials, Campus D2 2, 66123, Saarbruecken, Germany
BMC Biophys 5:19. 2012..abstract:..
- The peacock's train (Pavo cristatus and Pavo cristatus mut. alba) I. structure, mechanics, and chemistry of the tail feather covertsIngrid M Weiss
INM Leibniz Institute for New Materials gGmbH, Saarbrucken, Germany
J Exp Zool A Ecol Genet Physiol 313:690-703. 2010..The medulla (Young's modulus 10 MPa) provides 96% of the transverse compressive rigidity. Fracture stress of the cortex, both longitudinal and transverse, is 120 MPa...
- The peacock's train (Pavo cristatus and Pavo cristatus mut. alba) II. The molecular parameters of feather keratin plasticityIngrid M Weiss
INM Leibniz Institute for New Materials gGmbH Biomineralization Group, Saarbruecken, Germany
J Exp Zool A Ecol Genet Physiol 315:266-73. 2011..These might be bonds between keratin and nonkeratinous matrix or keratin-keratin cross-links. The mechanical properties of the rachis cortex are surprisingly uniform along the length of the feathers...
- Plasticity of two structural proteins: alpha-collagen and beta-keratinIngrid M Weiss
INM Leibniz Institute for New Materials gGmbH, D 66123 Saarbruecken, Germany
J Mech Behav Biomed Mater 4:733-43. 2011..1 eV in bone and 1.75 eV in feather. The activation volumes are v=0.6 nm3 in bone and v=0.83 nm3 in feather. This indicates that the rate controlling process in both is the breaking of electrostatic bonds...
- On the function of chitin synthase extracellular domains in biomineralizationIngrid M Weiss
INM Leibniz Institute for New Materials gGmbH, Biomineralization Group, D 66123 Saarbrucken, Germany
J Struct Biol 183:216-25. 2013....
- Non-invasive LC-PolScope imaging of biominerals and cell wall anisotropy changesMagdalena Eder
INM Leibniz Institute for New Materials, Campus D2 2, 66123, Saarbrucken, Germany
Protoplasma 246:49-64. 2010....
- Transmembrane myosin chitin synthase involved in mollusc shell formation produced in Dictyostelium is activeVeronika Schönitzer
INM Leibniz Institute for New Materials, Biomineralisation Group, Campus D2 2, D 66123 Saarbrucken, Germany
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 415:586-90. 2011..First high-resolution atomic force microscopy (AFM) images of Ar-CS1 transformed cellulose synthase deficient D. discoideumdcsA(-) cell lines are shown...
- Peptide induced crystallization of calcium carbonate on wrinkle patterned substrate: implications for chitin formation in molluscsAnindita Sengupta Ghatak
Program Division Biomineralization, INM Leibniz Institute for New Materials gGmbH, D 66123 Saarbruecken, Germany
Int J Mol Sci 14:11842-60. 2013..Our in vitro test systems may be useful to gain understanding of the formation of distinct 3D morphologies in mollusc shells in response to local pH shifts during the mineralization of organic templates...