Affiliation: University Hospital
- Wiendl H, Elger C, FÃ¶rstl H, Hartung H, Oertel W, Reichmann H, et al. Gaps Between Aims and Achievements in Therapeutic Modification of Neuronal Damage ("Neuroprotection"). Neurotherapeutics. 2015;12:449-54 pubmed publisher..These concepts will be interdisciplinary in order to achieve meaningful disease modification. ..
- Klotz L, Kuzmanov I, Hucke S, Gross C, Posevitz V, Dreykluft A, et al. B7-H1 shapes T-cell-mediated brain endothelial cell dysfunction and regional encephalitogenicity in spontaneous CNS autoimmunity. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2016;113:E6182-E6191 pubmed..Our findings suggest that a single immune-regulatory molecule on T cells can be ultimately responsible for localized BBB breakdown, and thus substantial changes in lesion topography in the context of CNS autoimmunity. ..
- Suntrup Krueger S, Schilling M, Schwindt W, Wiendl H, Meuth S. Case report of bilateral relapsing-remitting sciatic nerve palsy during two pregnancies. BMC Res Notes. 2015;8:654 pubmed publisher..In the rare occasion of peripheral nerve mononeuropathy during pregnancy, in which therapeutic opportunities are limited, IVIG therapy may be an option when the etiology cannot clearly be determined after thorough medical investigation. ..
- Bittner S, Wiendl H. Neuroimmunotherapies Targeting T Cells: From Pathophysiology to Therapeutic Applications. Neurotherapeutics. 2016;13:4-19 pubmed publisher..Based on clinical experience and novel pathophysiological approaches, T-cell-based strategies will remain a pillarstone of MS therapy. ..
- Pankratz S, Ruck T, Meuth S, Wiendl H. CD4(+)HLA-G(+) regulatory T cells: Molecular signature and pathophysiological relevance. Hum Immunol. 2016;77:727-33 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, future research possibilities together with potential therapeutic applications are discussed. ..
- Klotz L, Berthele A, BrÃ¼ck W, Chan A, Flachenecker P, Gold R, et al. [Monitoring of blood parameters under course-modified MS therapy : Substance-specific relevance and current recommendations for action]. Nervenarzt. 2016;87:645-59 pubmed publisher..To enable appropriate action to be taken in clinical practice, any blood work changes that can be expected, in addition to any undesirable laboratory findings and their causes and relevance, should be elucidated. ..
- Johnen A, Landmeyer N, Bürkner P, Wiendl H, Meuth S, Holling H. Distinct cognitive impairments in different disease courses of multiple sclerosis-A systematic review and meta-analysis. Neurosci Biobehav Rev. 2017;83:568-578 pubmed publisher..Results imply that, previously under-recognized, PPMS patients display severe degrees of CI and need more specialized disease management than RRMS patients. ..
- Fleck A, Schuppan D, Wiendl H, Klotz L. Gut-CNS-Axis as Possibility to Modulate Inflammatory Disease Activity-Implications for Multiple Sclerosis. Int J Mol Sci. 2017;18: pubmed publisher..Therefore, the gut-CNS-axis represents an emerging target to modify CNS inflammatory activity ultimately opening new avenues for complementary and adjunctive treatment of autoimmune diseases such as MS. ..
- Kuzmanov I, Herrmann A, Galla H, Meuth S, Wiendl H, Klotz L. An In Vitro Model of the Blood-brain Barrier Using Impedance Spectroscopy: A Focus on T Cell-endothelial Cell Interaction. J Vis Exp. 2016;: pubmed publisher..These applications make it a versatile tool for studying BBB properties under physiological and pathophysiological conditions. ..
- Ziemssen T, De Stefano N, Pia Sormani M, Van Wijmeersch B, Wiendl H, Kieseier B. Optimizing therapy early in multiple sclerosis: An evidence-based view. Mult Scler Relat Disord. 2015;4:460-9 pubmed publisher..In addition, the evidence supporting early treatment optimization in patients with high disease activity despite first-line therapy will be reviewed and an algorithm for optimal disease control will be presented. ..
- Bittner S, Bobak N, Hofmann M, Schuhmann M, Ruck T, GÃ¶bel K, et al. Murine K2P5.1 Deficiency Has No Impact on Autoimmune Neuroinflammation due to Compensatory K2P3.1- and KV1.3-Dependent Mechanisms. Int J Mol Sci. 2015;16:16880-96 pubmed publisher..Initial experiments show that K2P5.1 is functionally expressed on marmoset T lymphocytes, opening up the possibility for assessing future K2P5.1-targeting drugs. ..
- Schwab N, Schneider Hohendorf T, Wiendl H. Therapeutic uses of anti-Î±4-integrin (anti-VLA-4) antibodies in multiple sclerosis. Int Immunol. 2015;27:47-53 pubmed publisher..Today, anti-VLA-4 therapy is reserved for patients with highly active relapsing-remitting MS and patients are monitored closely for early signs of potential PML. ..
- Wiendl H, Kieseier B. Multiple sclerosis: reprogramming the immune repertoire with alemtuzumab in MS. Nat Rev Neurol. 2013;9:125-6 pubmed publisher..The effects of this immunotherapeutic agent highlight the relevance of T lymphocytes in the early pathogenesis of disease...
- Bittner S, Bobak N, Feuchtenberger M, Herrmann A, Göbel K, Kinne R, et al. Expression of K2P5.1 potassium channels on CD4+ T lymphocytes correlates with disease activity in rheumatoid arthritis patients. Arthritis Res Ther. 2011;13:R21 pubmed publisher..Further studies are needed to investigate the exact pathophysiological mechanisms and to evaluate the possible use of K(2P)5.1 as a potential biomarker for disease activity and differential diagnosis. ..
- Reul S, Lohmann H, Wiendl H, Duning T, Johnen A. Can cognitive assessment really discriminate early stages of Alzheimer's and behavioural variant frontotemporal dementia at initial clinical presentation?. Alzheimers Res Ther. 2017;9:61 pubmed publisher..The significant overlap of bvFTD and AD concerning the profile of cognitive impairments questions current neuropsychological diagnostic criteria and calls for revision, regarding both the degree and the profile of cognitive deficits. ..